Wanted: real life experiences of wedding problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzan St Maur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.suzanstmaur.com
I'm researching for a new book called "The A to Z of Wedding Worries - and how to put them right" which is the second in a series I am doing for HowToBooks, a British-based publisher. You can see more about the first book I did for them by clicking here.

What I need is some "real life" examples of problems that have cropped up in connection with a wedding, and how those problems were resolved. Obviously if you have never encountered such a problem either at your own wedding or someone else's, then not to worry!

Although this book will be published by a British company, I want to cover as many different religions and cultures as possible, as the book will be on sale internationally.

To help refresh your memory, a "wedding problem" could be a misunderstanding/disagreement etc. connected with one of the following:

**Parents, step-parents, adoptive/birth parents
**Brothers, sisters, step-siblings
**Aunts, uncles, grandparents and other key relatives
**The best man, chief bridesmaid and other bridal attendants
**Different religions
**Different races/cultures
**Gay and lesbian weddings
**Finances and paying the bills
**Guest lists
**Receptions
**Table seating plans
**Speeches
...etc!

These are the questions I would like you to answer. If you want to share a response here that's great, but if you would prefer me to send you the questions via email just drop me a note at [email protected]. (And if you know of more than one problem, please share that with me too!)

1. Was this problem connected with your own wedding, or someone else's?

2. What was the problem?

3. How was it resolved?

4. I may have to edit your contribution, but will show you what I propose to use before I send it to the publishers so you can make any changes to it that you want. If it gets used in the book, what credit would you like me to put in for you? (e.g. first name and country of origin only, full name with business name and URL, etc.)

I can't thank you enough for your help! I'm really grateful and I look forward to hearing from you.

Until then, all good wishes

SUZE

Suzan St Maur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.suzanstmaur.com
Hi there

That must have been a fascinating experience!

What really interests me is what problems (of a fairly serious nature) cropped up and how they were resolved.

If you can recall some examples along those lines I would be very interested - yes please.

Sz

Parkinsonsd

Registered
Reaction score
I had to pay for my own wedding, and consequently my wife agreed to make it a small affair. My wife's aunt was all indignant, telling us that if we weren't going to do it right, we shouldn't do it at all. She naturally had no inclination of helping to pay to "do it right." For two weeks she harped on my wife about "not doing it right" meaning we should invite each and every relative, friend, acquaintance, casual onlooker, etc.

Every night I would come home and my wife would be depressed. Finally I took her aunt aside and told her she was absolutely right. We weren't doing it right and it was insulting to everyone, and as I didn't want to insult her with my poverty, I told her she was no longer invited. She became nice.

Then there was the fiasco with the iguana, the Chinese girl and the Rabbi, but I'm keeping that one to myself.

LeeFlower

Lurker Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
annalee.dreamwidth.com
you might want to check out Etiquette Hell. It's a site that collects wedding horror stories. You might be able to get more interviewees by asking around on their forums.

WARNING: This website is a timesink. You click over to it, and three hours later, you'll find yourself still digging through the archives.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
During college, I worked in a very busy flower shop. We did between 3-6 weddings every Saturday all year round due to the temperate climate. I have probably been to 100 weddings to set up flowers at the church, reception, home etc. Out of 100 weddings I saw two (that's two) weddings go off in fairy tale style. They were achingly beautiful. I still remember them even though this had to be 20 years ago.

Of the weddings that didn't go off in fairy-tale style, one is particularly memorable. I always got to the church at least 1 hour before the start of the ceremony, in case anything went wrong. In this case though, the second I got there, nothing was right. I was met at the door of the church by the bride who looked ready to give birth at that moment. She was in hysterics and her future mother in law came screaming after her. Before I could put my armload of flowers down, the mother of the groom had grabbed the bride to be by the hair and slapped her hard across the face. At that point, the groom (I assume) pulls his mother off of his future wife and catches her in a choke hold. At THAT point, the groom's brother and best man (I assume) jumps on his brother (the groom) and begins to mutilate the man's face with his fist. All the while, the mother is screaming that the bride-to-be is an unholy whore and is not carrying her son's child but the spawn of devil. The groom is screaming at his crazed mother that she has to shut her f*cking mouth or he will kill her. The brother is screaming that the mother is probably right and the groom is a disrespectful bastard and always has been. The bride is just screaming incoherently.

It was the minister that brought the love fest to an end, but not before he got a stray punch to the eye. He got everyone separated and fairly calm. He told me to leave the flowers but there would not be a ceremony that day. He couldn't bring himself to marry a couple that had just been duking it out in the vestibule of the church with close family members. As I was leaving the police pulled up.

Doncha' love love?

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if this will help you out, but at my wedding the limo never showed up to pick up my wife. At the time we were trying not to see each other and I showed up home after she had supposedly left. We managed to maneuver around each other and I ended up locked in the bedroom during this. She called the limo place up freaking out and they laughed at her! She ended up getting a ride from someone else. We were both nearly late, but it all worked out ok.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Don't know if this will help you out, but at my wedding the limo never showed up to pick up my wife. At the time we were trying not to see each other and I showed up home after she had supposedly left. We managed to maneuver around each other and I ended up locked in the bedroom during this. She called the limo place up freaking out and they laughed at her! She ended up getting a ride from someone else. We were both nearly late, but it all worked out ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.