Sending out more before the first replies hit

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Knowing Skull

I'm sending out five more submissions for my middle grade novel, hopefully before I get replies on the first three submissions I sent out. I'm hoping, of course, that they return positive!:D However I'm not banking on it either. I'm confident this project will sell, although who knows the time-frame. Wish me luck!

Greenwolf103

Good luck, Knowing Skull! But should I take this to mean that you *expect* to be rejected on the other subs?....

The Knowing Skull

I expect to be rejected on some of the subs, but I hope and expect to have a hit or two. If the other subs all three come back sold, it will be fine by me, but I don't want to get caught in a doldrum which discourages my sending other submissions out in case they all come back negative. I'm hoping the shotgun effect rule will fall into play here; if you send out enough submissions, you're bound to hit something! I think the project is good, and I do expect it to sell to a publisher. I also expect the project to be successful once it is printed. :) I feel extremely optimistic on this project, but not extremely unrealistic to expect some of the submissions at least won't be rejected.

Greenwolf103

Agreed. It's realistic to expect something to POSSIBLY get rejected but I don't think it's a good idea to expect it. Just have a "wait and see" attitude and, meanwhile, just keep submitting everything else everywhere else.

But if you're talking about sending chapters of a book to publishers, you need to be sure and let the others know it's a simultaneous sub. Though you probably already KNOW this! ;)

Sometimes we have to wait so godforsakenly LONG to hear back on book submissions it can be hard to understand why some publishers frown on simultaneous subs. Can't WE be the ones to decide which pub to go with in the event we get back two or three acceptances? You know, that in itself is a nice thought.

Good luck to you!

The Knowing Skull

I agree. All of the queries say 'simultaneous submission', thanks for reminding anyway! I'm sending out five manuscripts, which I like better than sending just query letters. If they'll read the manuscript, I think my chances will be better than just reading a query letter.

maestrowork

Did the publishers ask for or accept mss? Usually many ask for queries first.

The Knowing Skull

All the publishers I submitted manuscripts to asked for complete manuscripts. The ones that requested query letters received queries only. That is, unless they asked for a partial and/or synopsis with query. Then, I sent them that.

arkady

Skull, would you mind sharing the names of the publishers to whom you submitted? I'm always on the lookout for new possibilities that I might have overlooked, and I'm sure that others are, too.

The Knowing Skull

I don't mind sharing, but they are all out of the Writer's Market book. It's really not that exciting, just a lot of culling. Nothing new here in where I'm submitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.