Info needed about the Hoover building in DC - FBI HQ.

merper

Registered
Reaction score
So one of my main scenes involves a character breaking into the FBI building and getting a file from "the vault." I'd like to make it as realistic as possible. Only problem is I'm on the West coast, so I can't really visit the place to get hands on details. Besides, they apparently don't do tours of the place anymore either.

I'm trying to piece together info about the place from websites, google images, and google Earth, but I can get only so far with this.

If anyone has ever been inside the building - perhaps been on the tour before it was canceled or worked inside, and can share some basic - hopefully non classified (it's FBI after all, not CIA) - info in PMs, I'd be overjoyed. For now, I have some general questions that maybe others can answer.

1) So I have 2 questions about the building structure. First, from pictures I see, the entire second floor looks like it's just a series of struts to hold the rest of the building up. Is this the case or are there actually offices inlaid into the building?
2nd, what is that huge like 6/7th floor structure towering off the North end of the building? It looks like the bridge of a ship - Is that where all the directors and top people hang out?

2) How do you even get in? Like the two corners that are on Pennsylvania ave don't seem to have doors.

3) Is there an actual moat around the building? Some of the pictures I've seen, seem to have like this 6ft wide channel around the building. This detail is actually kind of important to my character.

4) Are tourists allowed anywhere inside? Is there like a balcony type thing on the first floor where people can hang out? I ask because I read somewhere that the building was supposed to be welcoming to tourists since it was on Penn ave, but I'm not really sure what that meant.

I've got tons more questions, but mostly about interior layout - things like what each of the different levels is for, and so on. If anyone can answer the questions posted or can help with any others I may have, I'd be most appreciative.

merper

Registered
Reaction score
Already did both of those. They give the history of the building and the basic outer structure, but littles sense of what it's like from a pedestrian standpoint. None of my questions are covered in any website I've come across.

trealistorm

Registered
Reaction score
Me Too

I also need information about the J. Edgar Hoover building. A lot of the scenes in my novels involve the building, and some of them have a certain character wandering through the halls peeking in the rooms. I was wondering how the rooms are laid out, which rooms are where, what types of rooms the building contains? Administrative offices? Storage? Interrogation rooms? Cubicles? Tech labs? Meeting rooms? Holding cells? Lobbies? Lounges? Bathrooms?! Very important, are those bathrooms.

Thank you so much anyone who can help.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
This isn't much help, I know. But Hannibal (The Thomas Harris Novel) had a scene in the Hoover Building.
I'm not sure how much research Mr Harris did on the building before writing, but it may be worth flicking through a library copy - see if any of it's any use.

The Grift

Tom Swiftly's Favorite Adverb
Registered
Reaction score
All my information comes from general FBI research, and having lived in DC and worked across the street from the Hoover building for awhile.

1) There are things on the interior of that second floor. I don't know what. Also don't know about the big structure, but it does certainly look like the "island" bridge on an aircraft carrier.

2) There are plenty of doors around the exterior. That second floor that looks like struts is actually a walkway that has doors. Plus, there are at least two (maybe three) entrances to underground garages. All are guarded by FBI police officers, of which there are many others around the perimeter.

3) There is a "moat" around parts of the building. It's not very deep (maybe a foot?), and it's often empty. There are very few crocodiles in it, and almost no piranhas.

4) No tourists. That second floor thing is like a walkway/balcony, but there are no tourists allowed up there. I don't remember seeing too many people (employees) hanging out there, but that doesn't mean they didn't. I don't know how it was before they closed the tours.

5) No idea about the interior. If it's like other government buildings, the first floor is nice and decorated, everywhere else is bland white offices.
The fifth floor houses the Crisis Center.

Why the Headquarters building? Remember, a lot of what goes on there is administrative and executive in nature. Most of the casework gets done down the street at the Washington Field Office. Does your character need an active case file? Or is it one of Hoover's personal files? Those were in his office.

Also, since very few people are going to correct you on things you say about the interior of the Hoover building, you're probably safe taking a little bit of artistic license.

I can't vouch for the veracity of this site, but it seems to line up with my own research in other areas. The author seems to have developed it as an X-Files fanfic resource, but drew his information from open-source FBI books such as Ronald Kessler's and others. If you emailed them, I am sure they would tell you where they got their info.

Last edited: