PDA

View Full Version : Another no

ElizabethJames
02-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Thank you for the opportunity to read a synopsis of the above-mentioned work. Unfortunately, having carefully considered your material, I feel that I am not the agent for you. I cannot attribute this decision to any specific flaw in your work; on the contrary, I found your presentation compelling. But in my search for clients I wish to represent only the manuscripts with which I feel a real connection. Ultimately, this query did not spark that kind of enthusiasm.

Nevertheless, I greatly appreciate your thinking of this agency, and I wish you the best in finding the right representation for your work.

Greenwolf103
02-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Sorry to hear about that. :( Agents will reject representing a manuscript if they don't feel passionate about it (and it is a personal decision based on THEM, not on YOU) because they have to put so much effort into selling it. I'm sorry this has happened but keep in mind that not everyone will appreciate your book. It happens. You just have to keep submitting until you find one that does.

(On the positive side, they rejected it solely because they couldn't connect with it and NOT because of any flaws. This must mean it's a well-written manuscript!)

triceretops
02-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Not to worry too much, Liz. I expect that I'll be hammered on some too by my recent non-fiction submission. Though it's a partial, I do have three more agents to pick from. So my odds are a little better--only because I "scatter-gunned" the entire agent world with a short email query first. If I'm picked up by the first agent, I'll have to really refrain myself from writing rejections slips to the rest of them. Oh, how I would love to pull off such a vengeful "slap your face" back. However, THEY, will stay on the back burner until I decide to use THEM.

I'll make them pay, honey!

Tri

callalily61
02-02-2005, 07:15 PM
I was rejected with practically those exact words. Three times. :-)

They were better than my letter sent back with a rubber-stamp at the top reading "Your material does not suit our present needs". -- I felt like Snoopy!

Lily

Greenwolf103
02-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Hmm. If a rubber-stamped rejection is acceptable, maybe we should try a rubber-stamped query? ;)

Hapsburg
02-04-2005, 03:36 AM
Hmm. If a rubber-stamped rejection is acceptable, maybe we should try a rubber-stamped query?

Here! Here! On that one!

Robin Grantham
02-04-2005, 03:54 AM
Stinky business, that. I've collected a couple of similar ones -- I didn't find myself sufficiently immersed, etc.

Then ya gotta go back through trying to figure out how to immerse the next one. Figuratively, I mean, of course. ;)

At least they read and commented. I'm still new enough to be embarrassingly grateful just for that much.

triceretops
02-04-2005, 05:03 AM
Well, I'm just hoping that my first agent says, "We like it, but it needs a lot of work." Even if it's marginally accepted, it's still accepted, and I'll be over that hurdle. Once step at a time. I'd LOVE to have a bad acceptance!

Triceratops

1walkingadverb
02-04-2005, 05:39 AM
That is a great rejection! Frankly, she/he doesn't deserve you. Keep the chin up.