An agent is interested in my proposal . . .

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Although I mention this in a thread in "Ask the Editor," I'm putting it over here also.

My horror novel is winding down. I'm still working through the ending, and plan to put it away for a month or two. Meanwhile, I started thinking about my next project, and came up with the idea of a Q&A type book about radio. (There's also a possibility I may get laid off in the near future, so a paid writing project would be a nice time-filler.)

I didn't plan to write the book and then try to sell it. I did that with my first book; not doing it again. I looked up the agent of a popular existing Q&A book series (the agent was mentioned in the Acknowledgements), and emailed him a query I wrote in about ten minutes, not posted here on SYW, not even rewritten a hundred times.

Not even 24 hours later, I got a response. In part it said:

I've got to be honest with you: I'm not totally convinced that a book about radio is going to find an immediate positive reception from publishers. Having said that, we'd still be happy to take a look at This is Radio, but will do so only on an exclusive basis.

Note, "This is Radio" was the working title I came up with while I wrote the email. It's awful, but it's better than "Untitled Nonfiction Piece."

I gotta be honest. I didn't expect this response. I had already had my mind set for an immediate "No," but heck, they asked for a proposal.

I emailed her back and told her I'd have one to her in a few days. She emailed back and said "Fine."

Now, I have to remember how to write a proposal! Must get busy!

allen

Last edited:

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Happy writing:e2BIC:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Great news! Fingers crossed for you!

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Funny how life works like that, sometimes the less effort you put in the more effective! Good luck, keeping fingers crossed for you!

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thanks! I'll be writing the proposal this weekend, and hope to send it to them by mid next week. And I will have to make the proposal great, because I do have to convince them that publishers will be interested in a book about radio that is geared for everyone to enjoy, not just those in the business. And I'm sure I can do that.

In my original post, I mentioned I might be getting laid off from work. The manager told me on Friday that they're going to put me into a different department. Which means I'm keeping my job! (I'm working through a contracting temp agency, and so are a lot of other employees. And a few of the contracted employees were let go just recently. I assumed I'd be next.)

allen