Nano Buddies

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Ok, I think we've had a couple of threads about who's in and who's not this year.

So, rather than repeat those - for those of you who are in:

Do you know what you're writing yet?
Want to share?

I might try my hand at five 10,000 word short stories (or ten 5,000 word ones) - I haven't decided yet.

Btw - I go by the nick "Russus" on the Nano forums.

Rane

Duh. #winning
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.confessionsofacashier.com
I'm in. I might try writing a bunch of children's short stories that equal a total of 50,000 words. That way I'll have a ton of new material to revise and play around with afterwards.

OR

I might try and write my chick lit story that's just dying to come out. :)

I can't decide, it's too hard. :)

I go by 'Diana' on there.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
If anyone wants to PM me with the links to threads that have discussed Nano lately, I'd be glad to move them to this sub-board.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I keep waxing (and waning) about doing (or not) this particular exercise.

It starts Nov 1, yes? Time enough to continue waxing (and waning) :)

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I am tentatively in. It all depends on where I'm at in my current fantasy novel WIP. My personal goal is to finish the first draft of this WIP by the end of the year. I'm at 60,000 words and counting. Either I'll go into NaNo trying to finish it (yes, I know that's not recommended), or if I'm close to the end I'll set it aside and resurrect my first novel attempt. I've had some ideas floating around my head which might shock my original story back to life, and I want to play with those characters again. Time to find the electrodes. :D

For everyone who's going for it, good luck! May your muses be prolific.

BTW, I go by "TheIT" on the NaNo website, too. Last year was a blast.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
I have two ideas I'm bapping back and forth right now. One is a simple romance novel, the other a more complicated idea that's been haunting me for some time. I want to do a little brainstorming on both ideas and figure out which one's in better shape for hashing out 50,000 words of.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I don't know what I'm going to work on yet. I haven't had/taken much time to think about it.

I go by "jyndral" on the NaNo boards. (Which, incidentally, was my first nick here, until I asked for it to be changed. :))

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I'm in. I've been way too serious about how I write lately, not able to get over my first sentence, writing it down over and over again, changing little words over and over again, finally having a first paragraph and then deleting it again and restarting until I wanted to bang my head against a wall.

I made up some weird story a couple of weeks ago, simply silly, simply for fun and it actually turned out like something that I'd want to write, just to start writing again, actual writing where I get my first draft down without rewriting. And I think with such an exercise I will get into that again.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's the spirit. I signed up too. I'm gonna write a crazy middle grade novel that I've had an idea for. If I don't get my 50K done, it's not like they come and take my house.

Um.

Right?

Tracey

Registered
Reaction score
I plan to do it. I did it the last two years and was sucessful in reaching the 50k goal. Unfortunatly neither of those stories amounted to anything, but it was a fun exercise. If I do it this year, I plan to work on a new novel I've been outlining. I know you're not supposed to outline or plan too much before starting, but I can't help it.

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
...I'm in. For the first time.

Eveningsdawn still, on the nano site.

Eeeee.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Soccer Mom said:
If I don't get my 50K done, it's not like they come and take my house.

Um.

Right?

Naw, not your house. The garage, maybe, but not the house. Maybe the puppy might give you some room in the shoe? :D

I'm still waffling, both on committing and what to write. I've got about three ideas running around my head for what to work on including 1) continuing with my WIP which just ran into a brick wall, 2) continuing where I left off in last year's NaNo novel, or 3) throwing my characters into a brand new adventure. At the moment continuing last year's novel is winning. I ran out of time last November just as the bad guy showed up, so there's plenty of room to play.

I like the idea of stretching a bit and using NaNo to experiment. I'm comfortable with dialogue, but I tend to shy away from action scenes, so maybe I'll try to do something with a lot of action.

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
I would not stress too much over what plot to write.. the whole point of nano is for people who self-censor themselves so much they don't get much of anything done. Pick a topic or even a sentence and run with it, pick something fun and just start writing!

Last year I had 3 heroes, knew who my bad guy was and had the opening scene worked out ( a cliffhanger) and thats ALL I HAD! literally, I had no idea what to put down after the first scene. I think the whole point is to try and run in totally unexpected directions, for people who critique each and every word and never get anything done..

So loosen up and have fun. Me, I'm thinking my plot is: A bad guy is trying to take over the universe using heads of lettuce....now the problem is how to write a story around it.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
Forbidden Snowflake said:
I'm in. I've been way too serious about how I write lately, not able to get over my first sentence, writing it down over and over again, changing little words over and over again, finally having a first paragraph and then deleting it again and restarting until I wanted to bang my head against a wall.quote]

That's exactly where I'm stuck these days too; so I'm diving into NaNo for the first time, hoping to get over myself--get over taking myself so seriously as a writer.

I wrote the titles of all of my short story protagonists and antagonists on index cards and then I put them in a paper bag. My plan was to pull two cards out and come up with a story line involving both characters. I pulled out two protagonists, and I'm going to write a romance about how they fall in love and live happily ever after--and I'm going to have fun doing it, damn it! Cause it's been way too long since I wrote just for the fun of it :)

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
MarkButler said:
So loosen up and have fun. Me, I'm thinking my plot is: A bad guy is trying to take over the universe using heads of lettuce....now the problem is how to write a story around it.

Just tossing some ideas out there ... is he trying to become Caesar of the Universe from his secret ranch out in the Thousand Islands? Maybe he thinks he'll win more minions with vinaigrette than honey? :D

I was stressing out after a long week. Better to get my waffling out of the way now. I'm in, with a story seed I came up with a couple of years ago when I created my main characters. Working title is "Double Take", subtitle is "Prince, prince, who's got the prince?"

san_remo_ave

Back at it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elainegolden.com
I've signed up and am planning to work on my next historical romance. My biggest roadblock seems to be gettin the 1st draft down on paper. Once I get something down the floodgates open. My working title is "Masquerade" and my screen name at Nano is also sanremoave.

Best wishes!

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
TheIT said:
Just tossing some ideas out there ... is he trying to become Caesar of the Universe from his secret ranch out in the Thousand Islands? Maybe he thinks he'll win more minions with vinaigrette than honey? :D

groan.... I deserved that!

edit: fixed the quote

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
Okay, count me in. I'm Lady Cat over there too. The story I'll be working on is a paranormal romance, it's actually the sequel to my current WIP but I've been spending more time thinking about it that what I'm "supposed" to be working on. Hopefully if I get number two rough drafted in NaNoWriMo I'll be able to concentrate on number one again.