Life as a writer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevacho

Got rejected by PMA Literary yesterday. :(

This one stung, for sure. Considering they were only one of two, out of many, many queries, who had actually asked to read my work. I always tell people that it's the 10th rejection that hurts. However, that's a lie. They all hurt. It's just that the impersonal ones are more easily dismissed. I don't think people (you know, those people who do not write and get rejected and go through this laborious process) can understand what it is we, as writers, must deal with. My father once told me that he didn't think he could ever do what I do, meaning: he didn't think he could handle the constant slue of rejection letters I handle week after week. It makes me proud to know he thinks about me that way, but I'd be more proud if I could tell him I signed with a legitimate agent, and in a few months my book would hit the shelves.

Gotta keep going. Gotta keep fighting.

Another thing I tell people is that, if I have a tombstone, it will read "he died trying". What else can I… can you… can we do, except try?

Gotta keep going. Gotta keep fighting.

Stay the fight. We all need to remember this; especially me, on days like this.

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

maestrowork

Keep strong. And keep writing. You will get there, and it does get easier and easier. I've read some of your stuff on your site, and they're good.

It's a good spirit to never give up. Yes, it stings, especially when you get so close and the big guys just shut you down. But that too shall pass and you will be up and running.

I know. When I sent out my first queries, Vines Literary immediately requested my full manuscript. I was so excited. Like, how's that for good? First query, and a hit!

Well, the short story is they didn't like it. My query actually sucked because it gave the impression that my book wasn't what it was... they thought it was a romance! Go figure. I was crushed. But learned to keep my mouth shut and keep going.

So, hey, you're among friends here.

Greenwolf103

You will learn from each rejection you receive. If it doesn't improve your writing, it improves your determination to get published. Rejection can only make you stronger. It keeps you going because you KNOW you can't give up on your book. Keep your chin up and hang in there.

kevacho

My thanks go out to both Maestrowork and Greenwolf103. Your words of encouragement are not only, just what I needed, but they also instill me with a sense of purpose and conviction.

I will not stop… no matter how painful and difficult. I am, of course, a writer first and foremost. I forget this at times… times when I put too much pressure on myself to publish. It is good to remember.

Again, thank you both, and…

"Write to Live. Live to Write."

Kevin
www.kevach.com

Greenwolf103

You're welcome. :) And with that kind of attitude, you're bound to go far! Good luck!

Sandellen

Re: I feel your pain

Sometimes I wonder why I have chosen writing, but in truth, writing has chosen me. As it seems it has you, as well.

Your writing is lyrical and heartfelt, from my quick glance of your website.

It's funny/sad but I often say on my tombstone I want it written..."She tried..." Interesting.

It is a rare person who doesn't themself write that can understand the pain of the writer. Or at least attempt to.

Stay strong and don't give up.

Sandra

kevacho

Thank you so much, Sandellen...

Your words touch me deeply, and they are cherished.

The kidness I have experienced here overwhelms me.

Good luck to all... you are all in my thoughts.

Kevin
www.kevacho.com

1walkingadverb

Kevin: I bet you got rejected by Scott Hoffman--say it isn't so! Same scenario. Invited to send, only to receive an unenthusiastic response. Plus, they returned the MS is less than molly coddled condition. At least they didn't step on it.

Actually, PMA was a launching pad. Since then, I've received very favorable imput on my work. I no longer feel that dire need to have an agent, and have just recently mustered the courage to try placing it myself.

I must be outta my friggin mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.