Just so everyone knows....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
There is still a TIO here. You just have to click one more time to get to it, that's all. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get what the big deal is about that. And who cares about their post count?

I would have put this on deacon's thread, but it's locked, so I apologize in advance for starting a thread just for that one comment.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shoot, what did I miss now? Are people all bent yet again?

Maryn, who can touch her palms to the floor

ETA: Okay, I read Deacon's flounce. I remain unimpressed, just as I was when he was here. I need to make a macro about people who only use this place as a soapbox and seem to have no intention of discussing writing at any point.

Last edited:

jbal

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, deacon left with a stirring speech about... well just read it. I actually feel like I'm missing something too.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Okay. I missed something. I know Deacon's gone, but what else are we going on about?

I don't think I've ever actually gone into the TIO forum in all my long years around these forums, honestly.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Fine. Be that way. I'll just go sulk in the Comic Books board, where no one comes to see me very often anyway.

*stomps off*

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. I didn't even know that TIO and OP existed until April of this year (I first joined in May 2005). For a long time I only posted in NEPAT and Bewares and Background Check, and then school got in the way until late in the school year. Then I came back and started venturing out into all the other cool places around here (Science Fiction / Fantasy genre forum, Horror forum, Writing Novels, Blogging... and then OP and TIO).

I still post in the writing forums when I can and know enough about a certain topic, but the new changes have led me to try and post more in those places. Of course, I don't post as often lately anyway because I'm trying to write that damn novel of mine. I've already made enough progress that I don't think I'll need to resort to self-banning like Pete did. :D

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Blackheart's gone too. Dammit. Does he know how long I had to stalk him from DD to find THIS place?

/calls his local moosetracker again.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Jean Marie said:

Ain't nobody calls me yeller.

Oh. You did. Whoop.

Yeah, I'm chicken. I hate arguments, and I keep the vast majority of my opinions to myself (they wouldn't make anyone happy aside from me, and I think you'd mostly think I was crazy) so I would be a pretty quiet person to have in the TIO forum... :)

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I only post in TIO if it's a topic I know a lot about and I have some personal experience with it. Otherwise I just read it and don't post in it unless it's something that prompted a response from me.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I think that just made my brain start bleeding. I had to read first page of that thread twice to figure out what the hell it was about. My stars and garters.

Of course, once I got it, it's hilariously funny, but geeze, Jenna. Can't we play simple games for those of us with the mental capacity of a stunned pigeon?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I read Jenna's original post and went "Dur? Dur? Dur? Fizzle, snap." Billy's post summed it up for me... :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I loved bingo. And I think it needs to be a flounce to count. We've had some dandy ones lately.

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Maryn said:
Shoot, what did I miss now? Are people all bent yet again?

Maryn, who can touch her palms to the floor

ETA: Okay, I read Deacon's flounce. I remain unimpressed, just as I was when he was here. I need to make a macro about people who only use this place as a soapbox and seem to have no intention of discussing writing at any point.

When I first joined this place I spent my time in the writing forums reading everything I could find on writing, querying and asking a few questions, and when I was brave enough, I posted two of my WIP for critique.

Several people dove in with suggestions and help on the first one, (Thank you.) and on the second WIP I was terribly wrong on the writing law of using quotations in a lengthy dialog and received the best correct advice I have ever received anywhere. I think it was only one person who offered any advice, but another person jumped in to respond, that she didn’t think she would critic it because it went so wrong. Humm, (No thank you.)

This was at a time when many others were begging for a critic and went unanswered. There was ZERO help back then. I also gave what ever critique help when others would not. I don’t know if there is anyone helping now, I haven’t been back there.

I have at least three finished manuscripts written, waiting for spelling and punctuation help, and perhaps a little other help. I’ve spent well over a thousand dollars to have schoolteachers help me who overlooked so many errors on spelling and punctuations, but spent my money on how I should change my story’s content.

It took my long time lady friend original from Spain, now in Orlando, to spend two, or three days with me to point at what was wrong in spelling and punctuation on my first manuscript.

This lady was a former teacher and a principal - now retired and now is virtually blind. She’s begged me to get two of my novels out for publishing and I’ve had two, very successful authors who have also seen my first novel who have told me the same thing and told me to seek an editor for spelling and punctuation help. They loved my story.

I can sit down to tell a story and have grownups and kids gather around to listen. I can put a story together and gather interest, but as others do I too have a hard time putting it down in ink on black and white and selling it to an agent.

Now I’ve mentioned this before, I’m blind in one eye and going blind in the other eye and I have a problem with cataracts too. At the age of 72 years, I have no hope of ever getting anything edited and sold. I leave my nose print on my monitor just to read anything and to read a book, I need a very bright light and a magnifying glass.

What am I to do? Spend my time watching TV soap operas? Do you think I should spend any more time in the writing forums instead of Office Party? Are people getting proper help there now?

Sorry for the rant, but...

Last edited:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Yes, Jerry! People are helping over in the 'Share Your Work' area... it's very active (or seems so to me!) I cruise over there at least once a day to see what's up and if there's someone who's got a low response, I try to pop in and do what I can.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
The thing about TIO though, if you find yourself spending a lot of time in the other AW forums, is you find out about new events rather quickly. The new current event/political theory forum is kinda nice, even if you just like to read the differing opinions.

Some of the discussions have helped me to flesh out characters, by asking questions and responding while I'm still in my character's state of mind, mainly because it's a good forum for conflict.

Outside of CE/PT I just unwind and enjoy the banter and learning new things. Even though I appear to be online an awful lot, I'm usually writing and peeking in on AW when I need a mental break.

Gotta love this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.