Does 2+2 always equal 4?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lolly

Registered
Reaction score
Believe it or not, I'm serious. A while ago I read in some book that 2+2 doesn't always equal 4. The author said it had something to do with higher math, like imaginary numbers or something. Problem is, I can't remember the book so I can't go back to look it up! I'm thinking about having one of my characters bring this up in conversation, so are there any people smarter than me out there who might know what this author was talking about?

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
this has absolutely no relevance to your question unless your looking for a philosophical answer, but here ya go:

"I admit that two times two makes four is an excellent thing, but if we are to give everything its due, two times two makes five is sometimes a very charming thing too."

-dostoevsky, "notes from the underground"

:D

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I hardly qualify as a math genious, but I think you're talking about bases here. i.e. (and you math folks, please correct me) 2 + 2 = 20 in base 3. Or is it base 2?

I'll shut up now.

hexseraph

Some research reveals...

Hello!
My husband has a physics degree, and he says that basically, 2+2 does always equal 4. But if you want to quibble about it (and I usually like to) a google search revealed this web page:
http://virgil.azwestern.edu/~dag/lol/TwoPlusTwo.html

which seems to examine some cases where it might not.

Happy writing!
~hexseraph

Lolly

Registered
Reaction score
Haggis said:
I hardly qualify as a math genious, but I think you're talking about bases here. i.e. (and you math folks, please correct me) 2 + 2 = 20 in base 3. Or is it base 2?

I'll shut up now.

Yes! You're beginning to trigger a memory. It was something about Base 3 or something similar, anyway. It had to do with how the sequence of numbers becomes different when you use Base 3...I think.

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
I used to be a college math tutor, so I couldn't keep from checking Haggis's math.

2(base3) + 2(base3) = 4(base10) = 11(base3). So, 2+2=11 in base 3. In base 3, there are the digits: 0,1,2. When your addition results in a total of 3, you "carry" the result to the next place....so a 4 translated in base 3 is a 1 and a carried "3".

About imaginary numbers...they are used in applications where the state of a model at one point in time is dependent on the state of the model at a previous point in time (used in electronics, quantum physics, etc.) An equation might be written like 2 + 2i = 5 where the first "2" is a real number and the "2i" is the imaginary number.

Can someone check my math?***:D

I like the link hexseraph provided or Haggis's base idea. I am not sure how easy it would be to use imaginary numbers in a story discussion.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for fixing my math, oarsman. That's why I was an anthro major.:D

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
oarsman said:
2(base3) + 2(base3) = 4(base10) = 11(base3). So, 2+2=11 in base 3. In base 3, there are the digits: 0,1,2. When your addition results in a total of 3, you "carry" the result to the next place....so a 4 translated in base 3 is a 1 and a carried "3".
But Lolly, don't forget, 2+2 still equals 4. The number 11 in base 3 merely reflects a system where the numerical representation of the quantity "4" notates as "11."

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mark Lazer said:
My heads hurts now...

Get out the heavy drugs...

This is one of those questions I wish I never asked my older Brother. Don is one of those musical geniuses that can pick up any instrument and play like a master within moments. If he hears a piano sonata one time, he can play it. He is a Master Guitarist who cannot tolerate a missed beat, note, string or inflection.

I asked him if 2 + 2 always equals 4 and here is what he told me:

“In music, I would argue that 2 whole notes and 2 half notes equal 3. But I would be more accurate if, in a 4/4 beat, 2 wholes and 2 halves would be 12. But then in a 5/4, 2 wholes and 2 rests would equal 20 unless 1 rest had a quarter following it, then it would be 19 and if both rests were followed by a quarter it would be 18.”

It took me a long time to figure out what the heck he was saying.
Yes, I come from a very strange family.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Since it's the right time of the year, I have to post my "base" riddle again. :D

Why is Halloween the same as Christmas?
Because OCT 31 = DEC 25 (octal 31 = decimal 25)

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"for sufficiently large quantities of two"

LOL

jsh

Registered
Reaction score
rugcat said:
But Lolly, don't forget, 2+2 still equals 4. The number 11 in base 3 merely reflects a system where the numerical representation of the quantity "4" notates as "11."
Right. I probably won't express this well; however, I'm going to give an attempt.

When I write "the event {* *}," I mean that there are two things. So, if one holds two golf balls in one's hand, I'll say that the two-ness is the event {* *}. Three golf balls is the event {* * *}.

It is always true that if one has an event {* *} and adds to it a second event {* *}, the result is the event {* * * *}. That is, two plus two always equals four.

The numerals "2" and "4" are part of a system of representing the events above. Because "2" and "4" are arbitrarily defined, they can easily be redefined as we wish. One way we could do that is to change our base. In our usual counting, the numerals go from 0 to 9, and then when we go up one more, we put the digit back to 0 and put a 1 in front of it: "10."

In binary, we do that when we go past 1, so 2(base 10)=10(binary). This change in base doesn't affect the fact that the event {* *} plus the event {* *} equals the event {* * * *}.

Switch gears
There is a type of math called modular arithmetic. The most common way to think of it is this: clock math. If it's 8:00pm and I wait five hours, the new time will be 1:00am. It has its applications, but it's not a counter example to the fact that 2+2=4, because without indicating that one is operating in modular arithmetic, the default is what we're normally used to.

Sorry if that makes no sense. I did my best. ^_^

Elektra

Don't Call Me Sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
You probably already know this, but in 1984 they make Winston say/believe that 2+2=5

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength.

Cleveland W. Gibson

Registered
Reaction score
I think the lateral concept of thinking is explored in the book by Tony Buzan about Mind Mapping. Other similar equations are involved with an inclination towards relativity.
Working backwards: other things equal four;not only 2 plus 2.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
The "for sufficiently large values of 2" is a joke about roundoff errors and significant figures. For example, if you added 2.45 and 2.37, you'd get 2.82 - but if you rounded them all to the nearest integer, it would look as if you had added 2 and 2 and got 5. It's something engineers have to watch out for sometimes when working with imprecise, real world numbers.

greglondon

Planet Wookie techno geek
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Rodents Of Unusual Size? I don't think they exist.
Website
www.greglondon.com
"2" would have to be in a number system at least base "3" or larger.

Base 2 would contain only the digits "0" and "1".

So, to get "2" in your number, you'd need at least base 3.

2 (base3) + 2 (base3) = 11 (base3)

where 11(base3) is still good ol' fashioned 4(base-ten) that we usually see.

Speaking of binary, there are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

(where 10 in binary is "2" in base-ten format)

Move along.

Nothing to see here.

jsh

Registered
Reaction score
greglondon said:
Speaking of binary, there are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
BRILLIANT!!

BTW, you can tell someone that you can count to four on your fingers using binary, then give them the finger. From either the pinky or the thumb as the first digit (heh), it works. It's the third or fourth joke I've ever made up in my life, and it still cracks me up. ^_^

Tornadoboy

I bite
Registered
Reaction score
Ok ok, everyone can relax now because I think I've finally figured out how to make 2+2 equal something other than 4...

If you take two apples, stick them in the freezer for exactly two hours, then take them out and paint them purple, then when they're dry use a black marker and write the numbers one and two on them.
Next take them out into the street and kick them around for approximately 85.35 seconds, then if a bus drives by, pick them up, drop your pants and moon the people on it, then run around the block screaming "I'm a little teapot, short and stout..." until the police show up and haul you away.
Then when you're eventually released or escape, pick up another two apples on the way home and repeat the entire process, then after the second release/escape take all the apples to the top of the Empire State building and line them up on the ledge. Then if a pigeon shows up, put one of those cardboard Burger King crowns on your head, quickly gather everything together and run down to the middle of Central Park. For the next two minutes chew as much bark off the nearest tree as possible, then find a local pet store...

Oh I'm sorry, this is how you learn the alphabet, never mind.

And you will all no doubt be pleased to know that I do really work for a public school.
:thankyou:

Last edited:

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tornadoboy said:
Ok ok, everyone can relax now because I think I've got this one figured out...

If you take two apples, stick them in the freezer for exactly two hours, then take them out and paint them purple, then when they're dry use a black marker and write the numbers one and two on them.
Next take them out into the street and kick them around for approximately 85.35 seconds, then if a bus drives by, pick them up, drop your pants and moon the people on it, then run around the block screaming "I'm a little tea cup, short and stout..." until the police show up and cart you away.
Then when you're eventually released or escape, pick up another two apples on the way home and repeat the entire process, then after the second release/escape take all the apples to the top of the Empire State building and line them up on the ledge. Then if a pigeon shows up, put one of those cardboard Burger King crowns on your head, quickly gather everything together and run down to the middle of Central Park. For the next two minutes chew as much bark off the nearest tree as possible, then find a local pet store...

Oh I'm sorry, this is how you learn the alphabet, never mind.

And you will all no doubt be pleased to know that I do really work for a public school.

WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.