Since I haven't run out of agents yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stlight

I'm not dejected yet.

January 2005 - sent queries to ten agents, received nine rejections. (one agent said on web site if they don't respond in three weeks to snail mail, resend, did it.)

February 2005 - sent queries to seven more agents. Re-writing query and will send to more.

I've run across a couple of agents who ask if you're doing multiple subs and a couple more who state on web sites that they don't read multiple sub query letters. So, I'm saving them for last. As the saying goes - You think?

Stlight

triceretops

Stlight

I like you're approach, at least it is aggressive. I fear I go for the throat myself. I shotgun multiple queries to agents--not partials mind you. I did this recently. Shot out nine to agents that accepted email queries. Within 30 hours I got four "intrigued" agents, two rejects and the rest no-shows. Just sent off a partial to the first "intrigued, love to see it" agent with exclusivity rights. Damn, I wish I could shotgun the partials, but that might mess things up.

Never give up. Never Surrender.

Triceratops

Stlight

Re: Triceretops you were my inspiration

for the shotgun approach. I just prefer snail mail to email.

I could be doing it wrong, but if I don't see a big note that they want exclusive to look at partial, well first three & syn, I go for it. Unlike you, dear Tri, (may I be informal?) I don't have any publishing credits to speak of... okay, I have a couple but don't feel all that comfortable mentioning them. One is a short story to a magazine (paper) and the other is a small publisher, I have serious doubts about, but no proof, so no Dave here. (I'm guessing I'm not the only one since the small publisher went from recommended on P&E to neutral.)

I was stopping to hear from the ones out. In the meantime working on a better - bouncier - query syn. Selling myself is difficult, then I had a thought.

When I started the mss sending out, I sat down and said, "Okay, what's the most off the wall outrageous idea within "normal" parameters I can come up with?" (talking to self does not require perfect grammar) and there it was. Last night I sat down and said, "The query is flat, almost academic in it's attempt to be a syn. How about hitting the most exciting parts and going with that? And keep those chosen parts down to 150 words." Okay, duh.

It was a game and I did it and it is better. (Of course this was before I started reading Atlanta Nights. This post is after. Again, duh.) My sister can hardly wait for her turn on AN, she's not a writer, but you don't have to be to love it.

This board makes me feel alive for the first time in years.

Stlight

triceretops

Stlight

I'm inclined to believe that regular mail certainly is more professional and gets immediate attention. Stay by this course, I DO recommend it over the email route even when email is allowed. Remember that every little credit, no matter how insignificant, is precious and feeds the writer's ego. I began in the small press--non-paying magazines, which helped me to develop my craft. After each and every acceptance I got a tad better, and better, until untimely, I began selling book length works. Those credits helped prove my viability to publishers, and not one of them was ever considered by me to be useless or nondescript.

Starlight shines for all to see
and that perhaps is where you'll be
tested, shaken, hurt with despair
It's those who venture that take the fair

When times are tough and trodden you are
and the goal in mind is incredibly far
There's just one thing you'll have to remember
Never give up and never surrender

Dang, I just made that up! That last line comes from galaxy quest. Well, Stlight is after all Starlight.

Keep up the good work.

Your buddy, Chris

Stlight

I related all too well to Galaxy Quest, but, hey, I'm okay with it.

I remember in martial arts one of the guys said, "Wow, I really admire the way you get up off the ground when you get knocked down." I said, "Well, I'm not going to stay there until I rot."

Perhaps I should use a pen name NGUNS Stlight. You think?

Stlight

Status
Not open for further replies.