PDA

View Full Version : Affect or Effect

WackAMole
10-04-2006, 08:53 PM
Im having a brain fart...can someone clarify the difference of these two words and their usage for me?

emeraldcite
10-04-2006, 08:56 PM
You affect something and the result is the effect.

Advertising affects the psyche of American teens. The effect is that they are lazy, but stylish.

WackAMole
10-04-2006, 09:01 PM
You affect something and the result is the effect.

Advertising affects the psyche of American teens. The effect is that they are lazy, but stylish.

Thank you :)

AnneMarble
10-04-2006, 09:20 PM
To further confuse the issue :D...
Sometimes "effect" can be used as a "verb." But the verb "effect" means "bring about," and the verb "affect" generally means "change" or "influence."

There are cases where "affect" can be used as a noun (for example, the "bluntness of affect"), but unless you're writing or editing psychology papers, they're pretty rare.

Jamesaritchie
10-04-2006, 10:44 PM
What's the old line? Special effects in moives bring about special affects in people.

pdr
10-05-2006, 03:46 AM
For them as verbs try this:

you effect a change and are affected by it

Cathy C
10-05-2006, 05:34 AM
I do it even easier. A comes before E. You are AFFECTED by bad egg salad, and the EFFECT is an afternoon in the bathroom. :D

PeeDee
10-05-2006, 06:01 AM
I do it even easier. A comes before E. You are AFFECTED by bad egg salad, and the EFFECT is an afternoon in the bathroom. :D

I didn't have trouble telling the two of them apart before...but thanks to that phrase, I'll never EVER start to have a problem. That's brilliant.

veronie
10-06-2006, 05:29 AM
Thanks Cathy, however that confuses me and i already know the difference. :) With words like affect/effect, i think you are just gonna have to know it. (Memorize it to the point that it is second nature.)