Humor Bestsellers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FYI- I hear a lot of humor authors lament the shortage of publishing opportunities, particularly with regard to the trade paperback market. I suspect there may be fewer opportunities for humor essayists and novelists if only because there are so few of either. For those who wonder about publishers that handle book-length humor projects, please refer to the link below. It shows the bestselling humor books for the past week, and provides other information about the book, author, and publisher. (Note there is one hardcover on the current list)

Bottom line- The publishers are out there. Don't give up, don't give in. Adapt and overcome. :D

http://www.thebookstandard.com/bookstandard/charts/charts_display.jsp?model.chartFormatGroupName=Bestsellers+By+Category&model.chartFormatName=Humor&model.chartAccessName=&model.siteName=Book+Standard&model.chartName=Chart&completeChart=true

Last edited:

kuatolives

Gonzo Journalist
Registered
Reaction score
Link is only available to subscribers.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crapola. I thought they had left the back door open on that particular matrix. I'll see if I can do a copy-paste on the spreadsheet.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sherry, if you substitute "scary" for "funny", I had the same experience.

Persevere. Often, the race goes not to the fleet of foot or funny of bone, but to the tenacious. ;)

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
I'm with SherryTex, I'm a mom of five and it's either sink or swim. If you're not funny, it's all over but for the lollipop stuck to your @ss.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
humorous books

Darn, thought this thread would have a list of books that were funny, or amusing. Was going to print the list and go the library and possibly bookstore to stock up on 1,or5,or 25 to have something to read. My state of mind right now isn't capable of concentrating on anything that requires more than 5 min. or my complete attention. Also, I refuse to read books loaded (even sprinkled heavily) with love or death. Thus humorous books are my salvation. Anyone have any suggestions? The ones you wrote maybe?
TIA
Nita

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
Joe Keenan is the funniest guy alive. Three books, My Blue Heaven, Lucky Star, and Putting on the Ritz. Gay themed, but not obnoxiously so. Laugh out loud, fall in the toilet stuff. (He'll probably write more now that he's not head writer for Frazier...but his books are WAY funnier than Frazier).

Tom Sharpe...British. Havoc on the half shell.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Well, there's the standards -- Robert Benchley, Mark Twain (read his short stories), James Thurber. Moving into more modern times -- Dave Barry, David Sedaris, Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, P.J. O'Rourke (political commentary has never been funnier), Al Franken, Tim Allen, Bill Cosby, Ellen DeGeneres. The list is long and most libraries are decently stocked in humor, and I know the bookstores are. You'll find Pratchett and Adams in SciFi/Fantasy and their books are novel length. I think the others are all in humor (other than Twain) and should be shorts of some kind.

If you cook or entertain at all, the flat out funniest book I've seen in years is The Gallery of Regrettable Food by James Lileks. It should be in the humor section, but I found it in with the cookbooks, while shopping for a Christmas present for a friend last year. I bought one for her and one for me -- we both think it's hilarious, but our husbands only find it mildly amusing, because they never do the cooking. It is NOT a real cookbook, btw...as my friend's husband says, "It's a cookbook...for hilarity!" (He doesn't write. ;) )

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
Oh, how could I have forgotten the other one in the Funniest Three Writers Alive trio...Christopher Moore.

Status
Not open for further replies.