How to say no to your kids…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stressed

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone… just needing some anecdotes from moms on how they say no when their kids are asking to do things they’re not old enough to do… for example, my 8-y-o daughter keeps pestering me to let her watch Jaws. Anything along the lines of elementary-age kids pestering you for a cellphone or to let them sit in the front seat without a booster; middle-schoolers wanting to get their ears pierced, wear make-up; high-schoolers wanting to stay out late or start dating… that sort of thing: just what you said to put them off until they’re older!

This is for a national women’s monthly and I would need details of your city, state and age… also you would need to supply a high-res or snapshot as the mag likes to use pics with quotes.

Many thanks! [And looking forward to some advice I can use myself!]

Last edited:

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
I'm ultra sneaky about saying the "no" word. My 7 year old daughter came home from school the other day and announced that she wanted to dye her hair bright pink and get a tattoo (her teacher has one on her ankle). I'm not in favor of either of these things but I know if I just say no outright, it will signal the end of the world as we know it. So I took my daughter in for a little pre-tattooing conference with her teacher. I let her ask the questions (How long did it take? How did you choose?) She satisfied her curiosity about tattooing. At the end of the interview, I asked a few questions too (How do they apply a tattoo? How painful was it?) When my daughter heard about the needles and discomfort levels she suddenly thought maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea. Smart girl. (She can't use those temporary tattoos because the inks cause a negative skin reaction.) About the hair? We got the most awesome pink wig. She wears it all weekend, everywhere. That's my kid with the hot pink tresses walking through the mall. Everyone's happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.