GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
How is this booze for drinking?

I got me some good booze today, I hope?

I was looking for some Cuban Rum by the name of Havana Club a TV program said you could buy it in Florida, but I couldn’t find it anywhere, so I got some Cruzan Estate Dark Rum from St. Croix.

I also picked up some 12-year-old James King Blended Scotch Whisky from Scotland.

Jim beam has always been a favorite of mine too, so I picked up their Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey.

I don’t drink all that often and I think this will last me a few years, but what can I mix with the Whisky and Bourbon besides water, or Coke? I’ll probably mix coke with the Rum, but is there other things to mix with it?

I am totally dumb when it comes to drinking and mixing drinks. I can take a little straight, but not much.

I need to have a drink once a day for my heart.

Please give me some information on what to mix with this stuff.

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Here are a couple of classics - your blended scotch & dark rum is good for mixed drinks, but your bourbon is for sippin' - or a julep (recipe below)

And go to http://www.drinkoftheweek.com/index.html
for great recipes!

from "Modern American Drinks" by George J. Kappeler, and published in 1895:

THE OLD-FASHIONED WHISKEY COCKTAIL
Dissolve a small lump of sugar with a little water in a whiskey-glass; add two dashes Angostura bitters, a small piece ice, a piece lemon-peel, one jigger whiskey. Mix with small bar-spoon and serve, leaving spoon in glass.

Next 2 recipes from Drink of the Week:
Planter's Punch

2 oz. Dark Rum
2 oz. Orange Juice
2 oz. Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz. Lime Juice
Dash Grenadine
Orange Slice & Cherry for garnish

Combine 3 juices and Rum in a shaker with ice. Shake well, and strain into an ice filled Collins glass. Top with grenadine. Garnish with an Orange slice and a Maraschino Cherry. Personally, I prefer to simply drop the cherry in the punch, thus allowing it to soak up all that great flavor!

For a thirsty crowd, multiply the recipe by number of servings and serve in a pitcher with ice.

Mint Julep

2 oz Kentucky Bourbon
6 Sprigs - Fresh Mint Leaves
2 tsp. super fine sugar

Put 6 sprigs of mint in glass with the sugar and muddle gently. Fill halfway with crushed ice, add the bourbon. Don't stir. Fill rest of the way with crushed ice. Stick it in the freezer until the glass frosts. (5 min.)

Garnish with more mint sprigs and a straw.

Traditionally, a silver julep cup is used. But a Collins or Highball glass will work ok too.

Enjoy - but not all at once!!!!!!

Melina

Getting better all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atozwordsmith.com
Jerry--

There isn't much you should mix with a good scotch. I don't know anything about the brand you selected, but scotch drinkers agree that you should drink it on the rocks. Maybe a splash of water with it, but nothing else. As far as bourbon goes, those who drink it also usually don't mix it with anything but water or club soda.

Rum is a whole different thing. Again, I don't know about the brand you selected, but mixed with fruit juice, it's pretty yummy. Pineapple and orange juice are some of the most popular. Have you ever tried a mojito? Crush some fresh mint leaves in the bottom of your glass with the juice of half a lime. Add a shot of rum, fill your glass with ice and top it off with a splash of club soda. Garnish it with a stick of sugar cane, if you can find it. Good stuff, and I don't even like rum!

Kate Thornton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
For sipping, you need good single malt Scotch & Kentucky bourbon - I think it's okay to mix drinks with blended Scotch. But watering good whiskey is a crime! (Although lots of people drink it with a splash, soda or branch water)

I just had a mojito made with Cuban rum - it was fabulous!!! Thanks, Melina for the recipe!!!

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
Looks like I will need to head out to pick up the mixers for these drinks tomorrow. I will give them a try, as you can see, I know nothing about drinks. I think the last time I had a good drink was 5 years ago, in Manhattan NY on a visit to a lady friend.

Thank you, all. I needed this information.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Jerry, with a blended scotch, it's perfectly acceptable to drink it with soda (club soda or seltzer water) or with water. You can also do the same with other whiskeys, regardless of what the connoisseurs say. Take a tumbler, fill it with ice, pour a jigger of whiskey over the ice, and fill with water or soda. You'll get different dilutions depending on how big the glass is.

You can mix bourbon/tennessee/sour mash with orange juice to make a whiskey sour. The easy way is to just fill a glass with ice, pour a jigger of whiskey in, and fill with orange juice and maybe add a squeeze of lemon or pour in a bit of maraschino cherry liquid and stir it up. It's not really a whiskey sour, but it tastes fine just the same. The traditional recipe is:

Ingredients
2 oz blended whiskey
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp powdered sugar
1 cherry
1/2 slice lemon

Directions of recipe
Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I've never seen them served with a garnish of lemon and cherry - I've always seen them with a slice of orange and a cherry.

Rum is good with orange juice too - to make the traditional screwdriver. It's also very nice added to eggnog (as is whiskey) and added to hot spiced cider.

Enjoy!

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
With that dark rum there is only one way to go. Go get some ginger beer and a couple of limes.

There is nothing better than good dark rum and ginger beer. . . .

Kate Thornton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
WerenCole said:
With that dark rum there is only one way to go. Go get some ginger beer and a couple of limes.

There is nothing better than good dark rum and ginger beer. . . .

OMG! I haven't had that *in years*!! But you're right - it's GOOD!

Kate Thornton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
There's so much you can do with booze - don't forget baking: rum cake, pecan rum pie, whiskey cake, the list goes on.

Oh, and a favorite - soak raisins in whiskey for a week before you make cinnamon rolls or scones with them. They'll be plump and juicy - and fabulous!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
try a manhattan. when I bartended, I made these all the time.

I didn't use the orange peel, and added cherry juice to it, not just the cherry.

Last edited:

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
Be careful with Manhattans. . . they can give you far-right political tendencies. (My political sparring partner, a former English professor at University of Virginia, drinks a lot of manhattans. . .)

Kate Thornton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
WerenCole said:
Be careful with Manhattans. . . they can give you far-right political tendencies. (My political sparring partner, a former English professor at University of Virginia, drinks a lot of manhattans. . .)

It's the bitters....

GPatten

Dang...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
forum.m1911.org
SpookyWriter said:
That's swill. Send it to me and buy yourself something better. I'll help you dispose of that awful stuff. ;)

Spooky,
Post your address and phone number, I have a one legged partially blind Parrot I will use to send it to you. It shouldn’t take him more than a week to fly out of Titusville Florida.

You can keep the dang bird; don’t want to see him again.

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
Melina said:
And martinis too!

Beware, my dear, the martini--
Take two at the very most.
Three, and you're under the table;
Four, and you're under the host!

Or perhaps. . . Martinis are like breasts. One is not enough and three is too many. :D

(except for that girl in Total Recall. . . that paper machet boob was totally awesome!)

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
heh...Melina, I always heard "What do martinis and breasts have in common? "1 isn't enough and 3 is too many."

eta: Weren beat me to that one.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Stew21 said:
heh...Melina, I always heard "What do martinis and breasts have in common? "1 isn't enough and 3 is too many."

eta: Weren beat me to that one.
My ex-wife had that same problem. But they were able to operate.

WerenCole

Registered
Reaction score
Which problem. . . martinis or breasts?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One Martini
Two Martini