Query a publisher or an a specific agent first (for nonfic book)

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I have a good, solid idea for a nonfiction book, which will be in a Q&A format. I do not plan to write it unless I have a signed contract in hand.

There are two books I found on amazon that deal with this subject. My idea would be different, given the Q&A format--bullet points, instead of chapters. Plus, it would be up-to-date, 2007.

I checked the Acknowledgements of the particular Q&A books I have on my own shelf, and the author thanks his agent. A google search shows the agent is still active.

Here's the question:

Should I query publishers first, or should I query that agent with the proposal, showing that its format is similar to the books he's already represented (possibly making it easier for him and me, since he's already used to the format)?

OTOH, I could always query that agent after I find a publisher. Or any agent, for that matter.

allen

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
It looks like you have already answered your own question, but look over the threads of this site. You will see that most of the recommendations say to get the agent first. It's hard to get an agent and it is that much harder to get a publisher.
JMHO

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Allen,
It's totally up to you whether you'd rather query a publisher or agent first. If I were in your shoes I'd probably query the agent first. The reason is that if they have already successfully repped a book in the same format, they would know how easy or difficult it was to sell in this kind of book. You'll waste less time if the agents says, "Oh, really hard to sell this type of book--I only managed it because it was about Subject X, " or "Oh, this type of book is perfect for your subject" or whatever. You'll get the same response, eventually, from a publisher, but the agents I've worked with seem to have a much, much faster response time than any slush pile. Good luck!

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
And here's an update.

Not even twenty-four hours later I received a response from the agency. Although she said that they don't expect an immediate positive response from publishers, they did ask to see a proposal on an exclusive basis. That's certainly no problem since they're interested.

Now I have to write a proposal.

allen

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
way to go, allen! Hope everything goes well for you.