PDA

View Full Version : POD author gets multiple book deal from...

battlechaser
01-08-2005, 12:08 AM
New American Library (Penguin Putnam)

She lives in my area- made the city newspaper's front page today. You donít see these things happen too often, Iím happy for her.

The Ties That Bind
(Paperback)
by Electa Rome Parks
ISBN: 0738854522 / Publisher: Xlibris Corporation / Date: June 2001 / Page Count: 179

The Ties That Bind
(Paperback)
by Electa Rome Parks
ISBN: 0451213211 / Publisher: New American Library / Date: Oct 2004 / Page Count: 192

Where I obtained the above info (visuals) (http://www.booksamillion.com/ncom/books?sort=price_descending&N=0&find=Parks+Electa+Rome&Ntt=Parks+Electa+Rome&Ntx=mode+matchall&id=3051149806503&type=author&Ntk=author&x=12&y=7)

www.penguinputnam.com/ (http://www.penguinputnam.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,0_0451213211,00.html)

maestrowork
01-08-2005, 06:49 AM
Goes to show there are many roads to success. Simply write a good book and go from there.

Of course, she could have probably gone Peguin without doing POD first...

battlechaser
01-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Here's her story (http://reviews.aalbc.com/handling_your_finances.htm)

The Knowing Skull
01-08-2005, 01:49 PM
A gentleman I spoke to one the Lulu.com message boards recently sold his children's novel to a publisher. He had it on Lulu for a while, and finally sold the book. The publisher asked him to take it off the internet, and he happily complied. It's not bad to publish your book while you're waiting for a larger publisher to pick it up.

Greenwolf103
01-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Sometimes I wonder if that's the only way they'll ever READ it.

Yeah, she could've sent it to Penguin before going POD. And get rejected.

The Knowing Skull
01-08-2005, 02:35 PM
It's also good to remember lots of great books were self-published by authors. Kierkegaard fell in the street after retrieving the last of his money from the bank to publish his work. He became bedridden and died six months later. I hope none of us have that happen, but it's a good thing to know that self-publishing hasn't always been considered a 'vanity'. I think the Bible didn't find a major publisher at first, either.:)
K.

rjobrien
03-21-2005, 09:04 AM
It's also good to remember lots of great books were self-published by authors. Kierkegaard fell in the street after retrieving the last of his money from the bank to publish his work. He became bedridden and died six months later. I hope none of us have that happen, but it's a good thing to know that self-publishing hasn't always been considered a 'vanity'. I think the Bible didn't find a major publisher at first, either.:)
K.

I agree.

Kierkegaard? Tough break for him.

Recently, I read somewhere that a lulu.com novel (or book of poetry, maybe) was reviewed in Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine who boasts, and rightly so, a subscription pool of over 100,000. Not bad.

I never thought there was anything wrong with POD. It's just that some outfits

(Cough!)PublishAmerica(Cough!)

never had the writer's interest in mind. It's the snake oil charm thing all over again...

Anyway, good for the POD author who got a multiple book deal.

maestrowork
03-21-2005, 09:06 AM
A gentleman I spoke to one the Lulu.com message boards recently sold his children's novel to a publisher. He had it on Lulu for a while, and finally sold the book. The publisher asked him to take it off the internet, and he happily complied. It's not bad to publish your book while you're waiting for a larger publisher to pick it up.

That wouldn't be first NA rights he sold, however. Right?

Howard Gross
05-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Congratulations to all self-published authors that get picked up by publishers! This will soon become the norm rather than the exception.

Cheers,
HG

Richard
05-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Er...keep thinking that! Be careful before betting the house on it though...

eldragon
05-22-2005, 04:02 AM
The article on the writer said she spent $30,000 on her self published book.

Who has that?

James D. Macdonald
05-22-2005, 04:13 AM
What you don't hear about are self-published authors who, when a major publisher comes by and offers to buy their book, say "No thanks!"