Styles of Writing

writerscut

Trying to keep this board active...so...how exactly do you write your plays...do you favor having characters sit and talk, or are you more of a fan of short, snappy dialogue with more action...or should I say business? For me, I love dialogue...I find the most entertaining plays, the ones where the characters speak long, meaningful monologues...of course it requires quite a cogent distillation...but I like it, and I like to write that way too...I have written one play where it is all in the same room, going on in real time, so to speak, and the characters are simply talking...while it may sound boring, it can really bring forth a lot of drama...your thoughts...

Writing Again

The plays I've done have been for amateurs. Having an amateur make a long, meaningful monologue, and keep the audience interested is too much to hope for.

On the other hand clubs and other small groups can't afford much in the way of scenery either.

So a one room play is also a good idea.

MacAl Stone

huh. I wonder about breaking into the dinner-theater scene. Or is that pretty strictly one-act or other abbreviated stuff that's already pretty well know.

I've been away from civilization for far too long, I can tell.

AndersonK

I guess I am not exactly sure how the process starts. There have been pieces of history that have caught my attention. I investigate it and out comes a play. Or a character may pop up and be thrown in to a situation and out comes a play. Or sometimes, it's a phrase that catches my curiosity and out comes a play. But most of the time, I'd say my plays boil down to my credos, love, family and God, my fundamental beliefs. The play has to have my passion in it somewhere or it's not meaningful to me. And if it's not meaningful to me, how can it be meansingful to anyone else? I tend to write using young people as characters because their voices, in my opinion, are the strongest, most pure, and most naive.
It doesn't matter if the play is ten minutes long, or a full-length play. What the play speaks to, is very important to me as the writer.

Writing Again

I think that of all people a playwright must eat, drink, and breath zeitgeist.

Yeshanu

I don't write plays, I just go and see them...

I like a balance between dialogue and action. If your characters are just talking, the dialogue had better be really good...

writerscut

I like a balance between dialogue and action. If your characters are just talking, the dialogue had better be really good...
I couldn't agree more...you don't want to bore the audience! But some plays...which are dialogue heavy are really good in that the dialogue is surpreme...read the Lion in Winter if you know what I mean...and excuse me if I talk about that play a lot, it's just simply my favorite...;)