Website
ktcraig.com
Don't be jealous, Bamp. Be motivated.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good for Paul Johnson, 38, I say ! Sorry, Bamponang, if you're feeling jealous - but you shouldn't, really. Like KTC says, use that for motivation :)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
The bit about 4 months is misleading. He has actually been studying for years as stated in the article. Don't be jealous. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Sometimes it takes years to be an overnight success. Jealousy is a useless emotion -- I know! Turn it into motivation. And someone else's success doesn't mean your own failure. More for everyone!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's okay, Bam. Most of the time things say "first novel" when they really mean "first PUBLISHED novel."

LawrenceElliott

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.LawrenceElliott.com
Maestrowork is correct. Even if it were only 4 months, that could be misleading. He could have been writing for years before ever deciding to submit his work. For example, I wrote my first story in 6th grade. Throughout junior high (middle school for most), high school, the military, and real estate, I believe I cultivated my skill. I've been rejected in more ways than I'd like to remember. This year, I've had a lot of print publishing success. Now, I KNOW I started writing before 2006, but that will be the year I finally made it almost as important as breathing to be published! I think people are writers way before they are ever published. I used to carry a small notebook in my field jacket while in the military. Everybody would see me scribbling every free moment I had and ask me "What the hell are you scribbling?"

I believe jealousy is a human--yet often destructive--emotion. However, in order to use it positively, you must channel it to positive motivation RIGHT AWAY, as other wise members of this board have said.

Here's a trick I learned from very wise sales trainer I knew named Danielle Kennedy. Some may not like it, but I think it works for me. Any time I see someone earn a success and I feel those feelings of jealousy creep in, I walk over to them, shake their hand, and say, "Congratulations! You should be very proud. I wish it were me. But since it wasn't me, I'm glad it's you." Then I get my butt out there and work as hard as they probably did to get that success.

Congratulate Paul Johnson...then get your butt out there and work as hard as he did to get the same success!

Take care.

Lawrence

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Don't be jealous. Just tell yourself that if they can do it, you can do it.

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
Jealousy is a signal from the Universe to get back to work. I once was filled with envy of Julia Cameron until I had my heroine teach writing courses and give speeches about writing.