How to books?

Writing Again

Screen writers can get into big debates over the merits of such how to authors as Syd Field and Robert McKee.

Are there any books available on how to write stage plays?

When I wrote my first stage play I went to the library, got a book, "ten one act plays you can do" or some such and copied the general format. As the play was not for professionals it seemed to work well enough.

But what about writing for the professional stage?

What is out there?

JustinoIV

"Are there any books available on how to write stage plays?"

Yes.

Go to your local Barnes and Noble, Books A Million, or other local chain bookstore. Thumb through the books, and select the ones you feel most comfortable in dealing with.

Writing Again

Only ones here close enough to go to are Barnes & Noble and Tower.

Tower = nothing.

Barnes & Noble had two books with plays in them, lots of books for wannabe actors, and a book on Accents by Robert Blumenfeld, which I bought.

Guess I'll google.

gp101

how-to books

Read the writings of Lajos Egri. "The Art of Dramatic Writing" was geared towards play-writing but is still quoted by screenwriters. Very informative.

kwwriter

let's not be cute about it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferlaurens.com
HOW TO WRITE A PLAY FROM A NOVEL

This post is 2 years old. Has anyone read any books since that are more up to date on this process of adaptation? Your comments appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Gina_Ritter

Into the fray with a giggle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginaritter.com
I came today looking for the same thing because I (finally!) want to learn how to write plays. I'm a fiction writer, a screenwriter, but have no clue where to start on playwriting.

Here are some books I found on a search at my local library system. I haven't read them yet:

Hatcher, Jeffrey
Playwriting

McCusker, Paul
Playwriting
A study in choices and challenges

Shamas, Laura Annawy
Playwritingfor theatre, film and television
*** This one sounds promising

Wright, Michael
Playwriting in Process: Thinking and working theatrically

There were also some called, "Women Playwrites: The Best Plays of 2001" etc...