Best Play?

Writing Again

What do you feel is the best stage play you have ever seen and why?

Writing Again

I'm glad everybody did not jump in all at once and not leave any room for anyone else to comment.

MacAl Stone

yeah...hate when that happens...

Best stage play I've seen. Hmmm. That's a hard thing to characterize--for various reasons. A Broadway production of Phantom is going to be very different that a local rep production of Vagina Dialogues...too much like apples, oranges, and kiwi fruit...just can't do it.

Writing Again

too much like apples, oranges, and kiwi fruit...

Sounds like a fruit salad to me.

Reminds me that I use to detest Shakespeare... Until I ran into a professor who was talking at a restaurant...He told me to "Come out to my class production and I can show you why you hate him. And then I'll show you something you will love."

Even though I was not part of his class--I was not even going to college-- He put me in one of his stage plays. He said, "Shakespeare was never meant to be read, it was meant to be acted, and it doesn't matter how bad you act, you can have fun in a Shakespeare production."

He was right.

The reason I did not like Shakespeare was because all I had ever encountered was people who quoted him and dissected his words.

The best way to enjoy Shakespeare is to get on stage and have fun.

wasted life

The Elephant Man. I love the fact that the part of John Merrick is played by someone unadorned by make-up.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to go with the best play I've seen over the last 12 months and it has to be The National's production of The History Boys by Alan Bennett.

Arden

Happy to be here!
Registered
Reaction score
endless rewrite said:
I am going to go with the best play I've seen over the last 12 months and it has to be The National's production of The History Boys by Alan Bennett.

Hmmmm... a good choice though I'd have to go with MARY STUART at the Donmar Warehouse for the absolutely best production...

Did you see JOURNEY'S END?... I loved that too.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I did and I wanted to see Mary Stuart, heard it was fantastic. On Thursday I saw Simon Callow playing a fantasticly over the top, over acting actor in a Noel Coward play, it must have been a real stretch for him!

I don't like musicals but I saw The Producers last year which was fab.

Arden

Happy to be here!
Registered
Reaction score
endless rewrite said:
Yes, I did and I wanted to see Mary Stuart, heard it was fantastic. On Thursday I saw Simon Callow playing a fantasticly over the top, over acting actor in a Noel Coward play, it must have been a real stretch for him!

I don't like musicals but I saw The Producers last year which was fab.

I'm not a musicals person either but I would have really liked to see The Producers!

Simon Callow and Antony Sher are two actors who I will see in anything...

Callow is so fun when he's allowed to let loose! (He's such a retiring personality, haha:)

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I used far too many 'fantastics' before but it is late and I am suffering from easter egg sugar rush. Callow really had fun with the part and the audience loved him. He is such good value for money.

I found Journey's End very moving, the ending was stunning.

Now saying I don't like musicals but I saw Jerry Springer the Opera and it was very, very offensive and amusing. Who knew David Soul could be so entertaining?

What is everyone looking forward to seeing this year?

Arden

Happy to be here!
Registered
Reaction score
endless rewrite said:
I used far too many 'fantastics' before but it is late and I am suffering from easter egg sugar rush. Callow really had fun with the part and the audience loved him. He is such good value for money.

I found Journey's End very moving, the ending was stunning.

Now saying I don't like musicals but I saw Jerry Springer the Opera and it was very, very offensive and amusing. Who knew David Soul could be so entertaining?

What is everyone looking forward to seeing this year?

I loved David Soul but hated JERRY SPRINGER THE OPERA. I don't mind offensive but I thought it was just plain dumb.

Yes, the ending of JOURNEY'S END was stunning... so many people burst into tears... you just couldn't help it.

I'm looking forward to the new season at the Globe, seeing what the new artistic director has up his sleeve.

And, of course, The Complete Works Festival in Stratford... oh my!

What are you looking forward to?

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I agree that the script was dumb for Jerry Springer but I just found the whole thing unexpectedly funny and I have sat through so many dreary productions that it was just good to sit back and enjoy the spectacle. I think it is one of those shows you love or hate. Did you see Billy Elliot? I heard good things about it but have yet to see the show.

Looking forward to....

I will see a 3/4 shows in London this year though what I see just coincides with when I go down. I try and see the 'big' shows in London rather than new work and it always feels like a treat. It's the only place that makes me want to see musicals. In May I would like to get down to see Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf starring Kathleen Turner.

I am very lucky in that the RSC does a season in my home town each year so I always look forward to that. For new work and writers I usually make a trip to the Edinburgh Festival. This year I am going for four days with some other writers so will be cramming in lots then, should be a good chance to see new directors too. In between, a mixture of work in the region. I try and go see a play, two or three times a month and will mostly take a look at anything. I see a lot of first time plays and new work but I have got to the point of leaving during the interval if anything is too painful so I am always wary of shows without a break!