Agents for Mutiple Projects?

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a newbie here, so forgive me if this has been discussed.

I have two distinct areas of writing that I'm trying to have published. The first area is commerical fiction. The second area is children's picture books. I have a completed manuscript in both areas.

I have sent out a handful - okay, three- queries to agents for my picture book. Given the state of the market, my lack of publishing credits, and the fact that I don't have an MFA in anything, my chances of getting a postive response are about nil.

I'm ready to start querying for the novel. But, I haven't heard from two of the agents about the picture book.

So say the stars conjoin with Venus and Mercury and one of the agents actually wants to represent the picture book. But in the meantime, I start querying for the novel and somebody else wants to represent the novel. That would mean I have two agents representing two projects. It's not likely, not probable, but a remote possiblity.

Would that work? Would it violate some "writer's ethos" of ethical behavior for writers? The last thing I want to do in trying to publish my first book would be to black list myself.

I'm confused about how to proceed. I sent one query for the novel before I got my wits about me. The query was well received, but the first five pages bombed, so she passed. However, she agreed to let me resubmit the first five pages again if I decided to rewrite it. I did rewrite it and it's much better. I would like to resubmit now, while the memory is still fresh in her head. But if I do that, and then the picture book get picked up by one of the other agents, it might be confusing and/or frowned upon.

On the other hand, the people who would be the best fit for my novel certainly aren't the best fit for the picture book and vice versa. (There was one, but that person passed)

So what do I do? Do I resend the first five pages of the novel to the agent while the memory is fresh, or do I wait for my rejects from the other agents first?

Thanks for any thoughts.

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Allie said:
I have two distinct areas of writing that I'm trying to have published. The first area is commerical fiction. The second area is children's picture books. I have a completed manuscript in both areas.

I have sent out a handful - okay, three- queries to agents for my picture book. Given the state of the market, my lack of publishing credits, and the fact that I don't have an MFA in anything, my chances of getting a postive response are about nil.

I'm ready to start querying for the novel. But, I haven't heard from two of the agents about the picture book.

So say the stars conjoin with Venus and Mercury and one of the agents actually wants to represent the picture book. But in the meantime, I start querying for the novel and somebody else wants to represent the novel. That would mean I have two agents representing two projects. It's not likely, not probable, but a remote possiblity.

Would that work? Would it violate some "writer's ethos" of ethical behavior for writers? The last thing I want to do in trying to publish my first book would be to black list myself.

I'm confused about how to proceed. I sent one query for the novel before I got my wits about me. The query was well received, but the first five pages bombed, so she passed. However, she agreed to let me resubmit the first five pages again if I decided to rewrite it. I did rewrite it and it's much better. I would like to resubmit now, while the memory is still fresh in her head. But if I do that, and then the picture book get picked up by one of the other agents, it might be confusing and/or frowned upon.

On the other hand, the people who would be the best fit for my novel certainly aren't the best fit for the picture book and vice versa. (There was one, but that person passed)

So what do I do? Do I resend the first five pages of the novel to the agent while the memory is fresh, or do I wait for my rejects from the other agents first?

Allie,

:welcome:

Here's my take on it, FWIW.

ETA: Cathy C. and Rainbow Dragon have a much better handle on the picture book end than I do; definitely go with their suggestion to submit directly to publishers.

As for having pub credits and an MFA - baloney. You don't necessarily need them (having them isn't bad, of course). Look at J.K. Rowling; I've never heard of her subbing short stories before her first ms. was accepted, and I don't think she has a degree similar to an MFA. Just one example of many, I'm sure. Cut yourself a break! :)

I'd go for the whole shebang - resend the first five pages. Don't wait for the others to get back to you (unless you've given them exclusives); you'll grow old if you just sit and wait.

Good luck to you!

~Nancy

Last edited:

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
Also you don't necessarily need an agent to get into picture-book/YA writing. Check out the Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market for listings of plenty of publishing companies that accept unagented material. Good luck!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
They're entirely different markets. Look for an agent for the commercial fiction, and feel free to submit the picture book directly to publishers. You don't have to have an agent for that. Good luck! :)

Allie

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the great advice. I'll resubmit to the agent. Hopefully, she'll like it this time. If not, then I've got my first rejection for the novel. I can start my own count. :)