Status
Not open for further replies.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I love school stories with an sff twist, but I've read all the ones I can find. I'd also like to write one, and could use a list of what ones already exist. So I thought I'd start a list, and you all could tell me if you think of any I've forgotten (I have no doubt forgotten several). :)

Books
Becoming Alien by Rebecca Ore
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Fool On the Hill by Matt Ruff
Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling
Jedi Academy series
The Kirsten Chronicles by Mark Nicholas
Space Cadet by Robert A. Heinlein
Star Voyager Academy by William R. Forstchen
Starfleet Academy series
Wizard's Hall by Jane Yolen

Anime/Manga
Akazukin Chacha
Candidate for Goddess
Evangelion
Fruits Basket
Futaba-kun Change
Gunbuster
Gunparade March
Haunted Junction
Magic User's Club
Naruto
Psychic Academy
Raimuiro Senkitan
Ranma 1/2
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Stellvia of the Universe
They Were Eleven
Trouble Chocolate
Twin Spica

TV/Movies
Harry Potter movies
Sky High
Space Academy tv series
The Worst Witch series

Last edited:

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
You need to read Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones!

Aubrey

Registered
Reaction score
Are these just books set in schools that happen to have a vague tie to fantasy or sci-fi? Because some of those manga choices had pretty real world settings with only slightly fantastic aspecs, like Utena (where pretty much every bit of magic was revealed to be smoke and mirrors) and Evangelion (where the "magic" came from God). And Evangelion wasn't even set in a school. That was actually a rather small part of the series.

As for series with a school setting and magic, there's the Young Wizards series.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
chaostitan said:
Do you just wants recommendations about books whose primary setting is a school for gifted/magical/mutant/witch students?
Yeah. Or it could be normal students in a space academy, or alien students in an alien school. Buy yes, any book which is science fiction or fantasy and some or all of the main characters are students and their school is the primary setting. :)

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Aubrey said:
Are these just books set in schools that happen to have a vague tie to fantasy or sci-fi? Because some of those manga choices had pretty real world settings with only slightly fantastic aspecs, like Utena (where pretty much every bit of magic was revealed to be smoke and mirrors) and Evangelion (where the "magic" came from God). And Evangelion wasn't even set in a school. That was actually a rather small part of the series.

As for series with a school setting and magic, there's the Young Wizards series.

In Evangelion, since the teenagers are training to pilot the mechas and living in assigned rooms, the military complex functions as a school and dormitory IMHO. Magic is magic whether it supposedly comes from a god or not; but even if there weren't any magic the mechas alone would make the series science fiction.

Utena is kind of inconsistent. A lot of things are explained away, but also a few things happen which are definitely fantasy - Saionji temporarily switching bodies with that monkey for example, and the whole concept of being able to pull a soul sword out of someone's body.

At any rate I consider all the series I listed to be science fiction or fantasy, although I agree some are borderline.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
sunandshadow said:
Yeah. Or it could be normal students in a space academy, or alien students in an alien school. Buy yes, any book which is science fiction or fantasy and some or all of the main characters are students and their school is the primary setting. :)

Dang.

Other than X-Men stuff (I think Generation X was the one that dealt with the teenage members), I've got nuttin'.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
A Separate Peace + Harry Potter = Fun fun fun!

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
There is a book I am trying to find. I think it is by Alfred Bester but I'm not for certain. About a boy who learns how to mine asteroids. The public school system is a joke. For students who don't know how to read all the tests are in pictograms.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, just be careful about writing a story set in a school if you're actually a school student. Especially if zombies are involved.

Student Arrested For Terroristic Threatening Says Incident A Misunderstanding

A George Rogers Clark High School junior arrested Tuesday for making terrorist threats told LEX 18 News Thursday that the "writings" that got him arrested are being taken out of context.

Winchester police say William Poole, 18, was taken into custody Tuesday morning. Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.

Poole told LEX 18 that the whole incident is a big misunderstanding. He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police was a short story he wrote for English class.

"My story is based on fiction," said Poole, who faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge. "It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill.

Poole disputes that he was threatening anyone.

"It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention (George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing,"
said Poole. "Half the people at high school know me. They know I'm not that stupid, that crazy."

On Thursday, a judge raised Poole's bond from one to five thousand dollars after prosecutors requested it, citing the seriousness of the charge.

http://www.kidspeakonline.org/zombie.htm

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That is freaky. To bad it's not more in depth. If story has an accurate description of his high school I can see where they could see it as a possible threat of some sort. But to the information at hand there just isn't enough to make an informed decision.

Hopefully, it will all get straightened out and he will be cleared. It makes you wonder what he is really like if his own grandparents would turn him in though.

It makes you wonder if the gov't will try and tell writers what is and is not appropiate to write about. I hope it doesn't come to that but looks like it is heading that way.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
rosemerry said:
There is a book I am trying to find. I think it is by Alfred Bester but I'm not for certain. About a boy who learns how to mine asteroids. The public school system is a joke. For students who don't know how to read all the tests are in pictograms.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Was there a part where they clean an asteroid mining thing by getting it really hot? I was looking for that book too. I thought the title was Higher Learning but I couldn't find anything under that title.

Niesta

Canada's sweetheart
Registered
Reaction score
The Charlie Bone series by Jenny Nimmo is set in a school, IIRC.

As is A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray.

Wizard's Hall by Jane Yolen (ETA: Duhr. You said this one. I'm a functional illiterate!)

The middle book of Anne McCaffrey's Harper's Hall trilogy. Dragonsinger? I think?

All are YA fantasy.

Last edited:

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sunandshadow said:
Was there a part where they clean an asteroid mining thing by getting it really hot? I was looking for that book too. I thought the title was Higher Learning but I couldn't find anything under that title.

I think so and use centrifugal force to seperate the minerals from the rock or something like that.

sunandshadow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
rosemerry said:
I think so and use centrifugal force to seperate the minerals from the rock or something like that.

Yeah, that's the one, I know I read that book. I'm thinking it was probably not by Alfred Bester because I thought it was written in the 90s - I remember the copy I read being new, and I read it around 98/99. Could have sworn the title was Higher Learning, a lame pun for a school up in space. Maybe it was Higher Education, Higher School...?

Edit: Aha! Higher Education by Sheffield and Pournell!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0812538900/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Last edited:

K_Woods

9 of 10 Overlords prefer Evil Pie!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
web.itctel.com
In both the book (if you can read Japanese) and anime/manga categories:

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Offers are being made on all things Haruhi, so it probably won't be that long before we see the book in English, either.

Anyway, the premise involves a first year high school student named Haruhi who, out of frustration, sets up her own club at school: the SOS Brigade (a.k.a. Saving the World by Overloading it with Fun Suzumiya Haruhi's Brigade). Why? She's looking for aliens, time travelers, and espers so she can play with them. She has zero interest in mundane things. None of the other clubs meet her needs.
The narrator, Kyon, is the first unlucky sap recruit pulled into the SOS Brigade (several more either join voluntarily or are forcibly inducted), and most events revolve around the various things Haruhi gets the club into. And to say much more would spoil a lot, but I'll just say that despite the school trappings, "normal" is not an applicable description.

(edit: I should've clarified that The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is both the title of the first novel and of the series (as well as its anime and manga counterparts). There's eight novels to date.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.