What do you want to achieve with play writing?

Writing Again

I've had fun writing plays, altho I'm not a playwright. What I've written probably has no use outside of the group I write a play for. Many are not much more than skits.

For groups that don't have someone around like myself there are books published with ready made "one act" or "two act plays" and books of skits around. Would you write one of those?

Or are you hoping to do something "off Broadway?"

What about adaptation?

What is your focus? What do you want to achieve?

writerscut

Film is my main thing, but theatre has always been my passion. I love writing plays, because you are much more free to write what you want...and I hear the market's better, perhaps I'm mistaken! :ack

Writing Again

I would think if you have written a successful screenplay you would get more respect in theater circles as a novice playwright than someone with no credits.

Even a sold novel would probably help to get your script read by the right people.

JustinoXV

I interned at in theatre circles in New York. My former boss is reading my one act drama. Hopefully they'll show it early 2005. (he's looking to show one acts for a winter festival)

nycgq79

I am new in the play writing field, and happen to fall into it when I marketed my idea to a few close friends. After geting positive results I decided to run with it. That was a year ago, and it seems my play is falling right into place. Mainly because of the networking that I have commited to to help solitify the chance that this play will be a succes.
What I want to achieve with play writing is to leave a message that will last longer than I will. A message that society can reflect on as a story that should be considered as a moment that could happen in our everyday lives. Plus making money by writing plays does not hurt.

Uncletrunx

Limited by talent
Registered
Reaction score
I'm lucky, I've achieved two of my goals. The first was to have a play published, the second was to see it performed by another group, both of which have happened. (It was performed by several other groups, one in a proper theatre, which was a wonderful experience.) I guess the next step is seeing one put on by a professional theatre group, although that's unlikely with the Pantomimes I've written as the pros tend to have scripts written for whoever their big star is in any given year. A more realistic aim might be to become known as a Panto writer, although I'd much rather be known for writing novels. (I'll have to get one published first!)