wanting to write a play

Bryn75

I want to write a Christian play for our church but I don't know where to start, I have an idea for a play but I get hung up on the character's names (I like to many names) can anyone help ?:D thanks

Maryn

Names Are the Easy Part

I wouldn't let names become a stumbling block. One thing I've done is name characters with names I know I will replace, one per letter. Alan, Bob, Carolyn, Dierdre, Emil... Not one name right for the character, but enough that I can keep them straight as I write.

Then when you think up just the right name, Search and Replace makes it easy. (Although you might want to keep a 'program' telling you that Alan became Omri, Bob turned into Senor Montenegro, Carolyn is now Beatrice, etc.)

Now start writing--remember, the first draft is supposed to be awful. Just get it done. You can make it nice later.

Maryn

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Names

Bryn75 said:
I want to write a Christian play for our church but I don't know where to start, I have an idea for a play but I get hung up on the character's names (I like to many names) can anyone help ?:D thanks

Don't worry about names in teh first draft. An old trick is to give all the characters the names of your family and friends in the first draft. This lets you get the thing written without worrying about trivia. Once the play is in good form, then you can worry about changing the names to ones you like.