PDA

View Full Version : I found a blind kitten that had been dumped...

Pages : [1] 2 3

eldragon
10-01-2006, 04:49 AM
This evening when my husband and I were walking our dogs, I looked over a bridge and saw something furry down there. At first I thought it was a rat, but then it started screaming and I knew it was a kitten.

My husband scaled the steep bank to get to it before it fell into deeper water that was around it on all sides. When he got it he saw that it is blind. One socket does not have an eyeball, and the other is seriously enlarged - or swollen.

There was a box laying nearby - so obviously some less than human SOB dropped the disfigured kitten over the side of the bridge to try to kill it.

I think the kitten is about 3 or 4 weeks old. We got some kitten replacement formula and a bottle and it is eating well, and trying to bathe itself.

I'm keeping it in a carrier for the rest of the weekend because I don't know if it has anything infectious that my other cats might get.

My vet is closed until Monday - why do these things always happen on a weekend?

The kitten is sleeping peacefully now. How can people be so cruel?

Has anyone ever had a blind cat before?

veinglory
10-01-2006, 04:55 AM
That is sad. I have not had a blind cat, only a one-eyed one. But I am sure they get by fine in familar areas. Please let us know how he or she is doing!

newmod
10-01-2006, 05:30 AM
Out of respect for those who will read this post I wonīt say what I think of the individual who has done this. I once found a mastiff puppy, I suspect the runt of the litter, about 4 weeks old abandoned in a park. Same thing, weekend, night, no vet nearby open. We went to a 24 hour place and they had no space. We took care of the little fella for about 2 days. If we didnīt live in a flat, I think we would have kept him he was so cute.

I just want to say thank you to you and your husband for caring.

Iīve never had a blind cat, hereīs a link which may be of interest:

http://www.messybeast.com/disabled.htm

As veinglory said, keep us informed.

All the best,
newmod

Quill
10-01-2006, 07:34 AM
Awwww...

Something in me just cracks open when I think of whatever jerk would have left a poor kitten like that... and I too will refrain from describing what I think of someone like that.

What I WOULD like to say, first off, is thank you both for being so kind to the baby. Kittens need extra care even if they ARE fully-abled. Secondly, though, blind cats get along fine once they get used to a certain area. It could be that yours might have some sight in the remaining injured eye, even. Only time'll tell. An aunt of mine has a cat that's just about totally blind. He adapted wonderfully. As long as his "belongings" are kept in the same places, he knows where they are.

:) Good luck with the new fuzzy buddy.

September skies
10-01-2006, 08:14 AM
Auuughh! I hate it when people do that. How can they be so heartless?

What did that poor, little, innocent kitty ever do to them? I'm with Quill, thank you for saving the poor little thing. There is an abandoned house next door (two story) and it had so many cats there. Once I noticed a kitten with infected eyes. One was huge. I got a cloth and was just going to wipe away the mucousy part but the whole thing gushed out. I hurried to a vet and he said it was not my fault, but that the eye was so bad, just touching it made it burst. She gave me medicine and of course, I kept the kitten. He was our one-eyed pirate cat and so sweet. We didn't let him out much because of his eyesight (partially blind in the other eye) but he too, adapted well to his surrounding.

Lyra Jean
10-01-2006, 08:29 AM
Aww. poor kitty. That's so kind to take care of it. We need more people like you. We found a kitty in our tractor. It had to be 3 or 4 weeks old.

Now he's a 20 lb behemoth but it's all muscle. You wouldn't believe how tiny he was when we first found him.

Dollywagon
10-01-2006, 09:07 AM
A friend of mine had a completely blind cat. This one was originally sighted though, so it would probably have an advantage over yours.

It's eyes had to be completely removed due to problems, which although I hate to mention it, may happen to your little kitty.

The cat survived many years and was eventually put down due to old age.

It stayed mainly indoors, but living on a farm this was never guaranteed, and he could jump up onto worktops and figure out which window was open to get out.

Remember that animals don't sit around feeling sorry for themselves like we do. They have no way of measuring their disability against the rest of the feline fraternity. Once the pain and discomfort is out of the way, they will just get on with adapting to whatever the problem is.

Good luck with it all!

Just had another thought - Depending on the severity of the problem with the remaining eye, you could try bathing with warm milk. It tends to reduce pain and infection. But I'm not a vet, so you should really speak to one first just to get confirmation that it's OK in this particular case.

eldragon
10-01-2006, 05:55 PM
I got little sleep last night. I fed the kitten at 11, 1 and 4. In between feedings, I lay there in a fog.

I can't wait for the vet to open tomorrow so I can get some answers. I'm wondering if the kitten was born like this or if it was hurt yesterday - before or after being thrown over the bridge.

It scratches it's eyes quite a bit. Washing them with a warm wet cloth didn't seem to help much and since once socket is apparently empty - I'm reluctant to be aggressive around there.

Also - it hasn't gone to the bathroom yet. I know mother cats lick their babies and they go - and I tried to "motivate" this area with a wet cloth, but had no results.

Besides holding her and feeding her and waiting for the vet to open, I'm not sure what else I can do for it.

Sheryl Nantus
10-01-2006, 05:57 PM
son of a... if I were closer, I'd be there.

grr.

I'd offer her a home if we were closer to where you are.

double grr.

:(

eldragon
10-01-2006, 06:26 PM
Thanks Sheryl.

We already have 11 cats and we'll keep this one, too, if we can get her to make it til tomorrow when the vet opens.

She's doing fine, really. She's sleeping on my daughter's lap right now.

She just likes to be held.

I don't think I'll soon forget the site of her down in that creek bed - crying. I can't believe she lived through that fall.

I am thinking about making a sign to hang on the bridge - in case the SOB who dumped her drives by again.

What might it say?

eldragon
10-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Actually she's really cute except for her face. My daughter says it's kind of like the Phantom of the Opera.

I was thinking more along the lines of the elephant man.

Andre_Laurent
10-01-2006, 06:49 PM
I got little sleep last night. I fed the kitten at 11, 1 and 4. In between feedings, I lay there in a fog.

I can't wait for the vet to open tomorrow so I can get some answers. I'm wondering if the kitten was born like this or if it was hurt yesterday - before or after being thrown over the bridge.

It scratches it's eyes quite a bit. Washing them with a warm wet cloth didn't seem to help much and since once socket is apparently empty - I'm reluctant to be aggressive around there.

Also - it hasn't gone to the bathroom yet. I know mother cats lick their babies and they go - and I tried to "motivate" this area with a wet cloth, but had no results.

Besides holding her and feeding her and waiting for the vet to open, I'm not sure what else I can do for it.
You have to keep doing the "motivate" thing with a warm wet cloth... I've not done this, mind you, but we have cats and I have read about this procedure.

I have never had a blind cat but I have a blind horse. He lost his vision over the summer and he is adjusting fine. I'm sure the kitten would adjust as well. Be sure to keep the little tyke warm... I'm sure you know that, I just had to say it.

Dollywagon
10-01-2006, 06:56 PM
Use damp cotton wool. Hold her on her back in one hand and stoke her bits with the cotton wool.

I wouldn't use water for her eyes. Unless it actually eases the pain it will probably irritate her more. You could try a bit of milk on some cotton wool as well for her eyes, if it eases them then you will soon know.

oarsman
10-01-2006, 07:16 PM
I have a cat that lost his hearing after a simple operation during the summer. He's 15 years old, so it has taken him some time to adjust. He is adjusting though. His balance was affected and he initially used the walls of the house to navigate. (Someone on another thread mentioned her cat was blind...the cat used the walls to navigate too). I've also noticed he sits in areas of the house where he can see the entire room. It prevents us or our other animals from surprising him. I think your kitten will adjust too.

I wish the best for your kitty!!

http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/animal0067.gif http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/animal/cat.gif You are a great friend to cats everywhere!!!! :e2cat: http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/animal0032.gif

eldragon
10-01-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks everyone.

This whole thing is making me depressed.

What's wrong with people? Who throws a tiny kitten off of a bridge?

oarsman
10-01-2006, 07:49 PM
I did a google search and found this (http://www.wmdt.com/topstory/displaystory.asp?id=3040) news article of another case where someone threw a kitten off a bridge. The humane society was calling the kitten "Bridges" and someone has adopted her. I can believe that I found another case of this happening. It's sad. :(

Dollywagon
10-01-2006, 07:55 PM
I think it's sadder that I am sitting here thinking, "Crikey, I've seen a lot worse stuff than that."

Made me realise that I've seen a heck of a lot. Perhaps too much. In fact, considering my reaction, definitely too much.

Try not to dwell on it, Pam. Not easy I know, but concentrate on the job in hand which is to make him better. He is happy at the moment and that's what counts.

eldragon
10-01-2006, 08:02 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7896/1821/320/kitten%20I.jpg (http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7896/1821/1600/kitten%20I.jpg)Here's a picture of it's eyes. We took this last night. It's eyes seem a bit less gooky this morning.

http://lifeat42.blogspot.com/atom.xml

Dollywagon
10-01-2006, 08:09 PM
It's only coming up as a red cross on my screen, Pam.

eldragon
10-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Really? Can anyone else see it?

Andre_Laurent
10-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Really? Can anyone else see it?
No, your link isn't working.

alleycat
10-01-2006, 09:24 PM
I can see the photo just fine.

CATastrophe
10-01-2006, 09:43 PM
How wonderful you and your husband were there at that moment to help the little dear. I'm sure Bast is pleased with your kindness. I can't say what I think about people who treat animals with so little regard. Nothing short of "eye for an eye" punishment would be fitting for cruelty like this.

Perhaps contacting the local media might make for a good local interest story. It could certainly rile a few folks.

I don't know what you'd put on the sign. That would require some thought and judicious word choices. If I think of anything, I'll let you know.

In the meantime, my heart is warmed knowing the little dear is with good caring people. May she recover well and enjoy her days with you.

Cath
10-01-2006, 10:18 PM
Can't see the picture either, but I'll third with the thank yous.

I've never understood how anyone could do this to an animal (or a human come to that). I hope your kitty comes through it all just fine. Let us know how it gets on with the vet.

Dollywagon
10-01-2006, 10:48 PM
I don't know why some of us can't see it and others can, Pam.

I suppose all you can do for the moment is interpret it as something infectious and keep it separate from the other cats until the vet confirms otherwise.

Good luck, and may all your vet's bills be little ones!

eldragon
10-01-2006, 11:11 PM
How wonderful you and your husband were there at that moment to help the little dear. I'm sure Bast is pleased with your kindness. I can't say what I think about people who treat animals with so little regard. Nothing short of "eye for an eye" punishment would be fitting for cruelty like this.

Who is Bast?

eldragon
10-01-2006, 11:18 PM
You'd think so, except I live in rural Mississippi, in a small county without an animal shelter or TV station.

Just wait until deer hunting season starts in November - there will be so many lost hunting dogs littering the highways - dead and alive .....it won't be funny.

Last year I picked one up and called the number on his tag. The owner told me to leave him there. I replied that the dog had been hit by a car and I wasn't going to leave it there. I drove it to the next town and brought it to a vet. I had to give them my personal information or else they wouldn't accept the dog. They told me I'd be responsible for the bill if they couldn't get in touch with the owner themselves. I said fine. They did get the owner on the phone and he told them to put the dog down, or else it died anyway. When I called back later on that day to check the dogs progress, they told me they had gotten in touch with the owner, and the dog was dead.

There are some animal lovers here, but then there are completely rotten individuals - like the one who dumped this kitten yesterday.

Lyra Jean
10-01-2006, 11:57 PM
I can see the photo fine. Poor kitty.

Bast is an egyptian goddess with a cat head. I reckon she is the goddess of cats or something like that.

If people can be cruel to animals how will they treat other people?

MidnightMuse
10-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Yes, I've had a blind cat. He lived to be 20, grew to 18 lbs and was the most loving, independent cuss you'd ever hope to love.

First - that one eye is definitely infected. If there's an eye in that socket, it's probably ruined and will have to come out. The second, apparently empty socket could still have an eye inside - but it's hard for me to see clearly in the photo. It could be receded, or it could be missing completely.

The best thing to do in either case, unless by some miracle that one eye can be saved, is to have it surgically removed and let the cat be blind.

You'll have to keep kitty indoors, naturally, but never fear - a totally blind cat can get along swimmingly, grow to be big and healthy and happy, and live a long, wonderful life.

Obviously they adapt to their surroundings with feel rather than sight. So you'll want to be careful about changing furniture placement once he's used to his house. Keep a litter pan and food/water in the same place all the time - try never to move where those are kept and he'll always remember where they are.

He'll be able to jump onto things, and that might surprise you at times. The cat we had lived in the clinic, had full run of the place even with other animals around all the time, and would constantly surprise clients by jumping up onto the counters for loving. They'd see this huge orange monster jump up from the floor to the counter, and walk up and down the counter purring, waiting for the people with the voices to pet him (as was his just due).

They'd start petting him and commenting on how huge and friendly he was, then suddenly realize he had no eyeballs in his sockets.

He didn't care. (We even joked about taking donations to buy him a seeing-eye chihuahua ! )

Sheryl Nantus
10-02-2006, 12:52 AM
seriously - if you feel you can't keep him, let me know and we'll arrange something to get him up to PA.

I'm totally serious - I have two cats now, but I'll gladly take the little one if it doesn't work out.

:)

eldragon
10-02-2006, 01:09 AM
Thanks guys.

Well, I'm interested to see what the vet says tomorrow morning.

We have an excellent vet here. He's not cheap but he's very compassionate and skillful.

I can't believe blind cats can jump on counters! How the heck can they do that?

This kitten already recognizes my voice and mews when I come around his box. My 9 year old has been feeding him all day, too. She says the kitten is really cute - if you don't look at it's face.

I have tried off and on to get it to defecate, with no luck. I'll keep trying. I'm not sure how often kittens do that - because the mom usually eats it. I'm pretty sure all of her kittens would defecate after every feeding - that wouldn't be possible for a mother cat to swallow.

So maybe they don't go very often. This one is only eating a few ounces of formula.

alleycat
10-02-2006, 01:28 AM
I found this link, which might help you:

http://www.dupageco.org/animalcontrol/generic.cfm?doc_id=310

eldragon
10-02-2006, 01:36 AM
Thanks Alleycat. All good information there.

I see our kitty is eating enough.

I have tried (unsuccessfully, mostly) - to raise baby squirrels, baby birds and a baby raccoon before - so this isn't that hard.

With those - I tried to keep them alive (always through the weekend - I always find these babies on Friday night or Saturday morning!) long enough to get them to an animal rehab.

None of my squirrels ever lived and the baby raccoon died within 24 hours but that was the day after Katrina hit - the raccoon was thrown from a tree in the storm - and I didn't have the proper food to feed it. Our milk was spoiled - and there were no stores open for hundreds of miles.

I did have some success with baby birds.

MidnightMuse
10-02-2006, 01:38 AM
Have you tried the warm-water cotton ball technique for getting kitten to have a bowel movement?

MidnightMuse
10-02-2006, 01:44 AM
I can't believe blind cats can jump on counters! How the heck can they do that?

He surprised us all by doing that one day - we used to lift him up and put him there, then of course put him down when he wanted down. While up there, he could feel the edgs of the counter and realized he was up off the ground.

After a few months, one day he just walked up to the front office, and before anyone realized it, he'd jumped ! We quickly learned we had to keep the counter tops relatively clutter-free because he couldn't see what was up there and expected it to be clear every time.

Dimitri was his name. A real surprise, and a real treat to be around. We used him as insipration whenver a client's pet had to have a limb amputated or went blind or deaf. He was a great spokes-cat !

eldragon
10-02-2006, 04:27 AM
This kittens eye that has been swollen has really gotten bad in the past hour or so. It looks like the eyeball itself is going to pop out of her head. A scab of some kind has some loose and this marble sized thing is sticking out - she scratches it with her feet.

I seriously do not know what to do.

MidnightMuse
10-02-2006, 04:30 AM
Is there a 24/hour emergency veterinarian in your area?

ETA: I'd really like to see Kitten's temperature, if you could manage to take it rectally with a mercury thermometer. Also don't let crust build over the eye - it needs to drain in order to avoid more pressure. That eye has probably degenerated into a source of infection, and you WANT that to drain, not build up. Use a warm (lukewarm) wet cloth or cotton ball to gently wipe the crusties off. And do your best to keep kitty from scratching at it.

Normal temp is between 101 and 102. Anything above 102.5 is worrysome. Anywhere near 103 is serious.

Carrie Ann Eggert
10-02-2006, 06:47 AM

Yes...keep "motivating" as others suggest...I actually just got done reading "Witches of Worm" and the poor kitty in there needed the same (unlike yours though it wasn't blind...just too young for eyeballs) treatment. A soft, damply warm cloth should do.

It's a shame what some people do to animals. There's no excuse in this day and age to be tossing any animal in some dark, desolute place. There are shelters, private and public, that would be willing to give an unwanted/sick animal a chance of recovery and placement.

I'm glad you cared enough to do that very thing.

Good luck with the kitty and bless you.

Carrie Ann:)

eldragon
10-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Just an update: I took the kitten to an emergency clinic and he's there having surgery right now. I actually have to pick him up by 7:30 AM, and the clinic is 30 miles from here.

Both eyes are coming out and I guess his eyelids will just be sewed shut. He was actually about to lose one in the waiting room - I'm usually not a squemish person - but I was about to lose it.

Cost : $356. Ouch!

BTW - saw a truck hit a deer on the way down - and a deer ran out in front of me on my way back. Luckily I put on my bright lights and the deer veered off opposite of me - but it was touch and go there for a few seconds. She was bouncing all over place - coming towards me in my lane!

Dollywagon
10-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Morning,
I've just checked and I still can't see the photo.
Sorry to see that the little kitty deteriorated during the course of the evening, but at least he's getting treatment now.

It's a heck of a round trip for you Pam and been a bit of a stressful weekend but hopefully things will start to settle down once you get him home again.

Sheryl Nantus
10-02-2006, 05:20 PM
when you catch your breath, give us an update.

and my offer still stands if you need it.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

truly, the good karma you incurred on this will be huge.

alleycat
10-02-2006, 05:51 PM
I'll donate $20 to the Save a Blind Kitty fund. Maybe others will chip in too.

What the heck, we cats have to stick together.

ac

eldragon
10-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Well, the kitten is back home. He looks kind of like a rat now that he has no eyes! He has stitches that will need to come out in about a week. He's eating fine - still hasn't gone to the bathroom but the vet said not to worry - he might not have eaten for awhile before I found him and he might be constipated. They had him eating some canned food, too. The vet said he's about 4 weeks old.

The place I took him is an all-night emergency clinic for animals. The do emergencies only and close at 8 AM. Basically - they are going to try to save an animals life or stablize it so that you can get it to your own vet the next day. It's a great service but not one many people can afford.

Still - what's money for if not to help a poor, abused creature?

Just like you, Sheryl, I am a true believer in Karma and I'm sure we'll reap rewards for this just like I hope the SOB who tossed the cat over the side of the bridge gets his, too.

The second vet I talked to this morning said that the eyes were so badly damaged, the kitten probably never had vision, so he won't have to adjust long.

I'll try to post a new photo later.

MidnightMuse
10-02-2006, 06:10 PM
Excellent ! I'm not happy that it happened, but I'm so glad he found you and things are looking up (no pun intended).

I promise you, owning a blind cat is going (if you do keep him yourself, that is) bring you years of amazement and joy. It boggles the mind what they can do, especially when they don't realize they were suppose to have sight.

I'll happily donate $20.00 to help pay this little guy's way.

Dollywagon
10-02-2006, 06:40 PM
Oh Sugar. Stop it you lot.
I can't afford to help out with diddly ... paying this bunch of loser's vets bills is hard enough.

But I'm with you and kitty in spirit, Pam!

eldragon
10-02-2006, 07:25 PM
My regular vet just called me on the phone because they got a report from the emergency vet. They told me that, although it's too soon to give the kitten his shots and I'll have to take him to get his stitches out in 7 days - they said they'd like to test him for feline leuxemia and something else RIGHT AWAY.

I told them that I understand, but I've just spent close to $400 on this kitten since Saturday night and I have to take a breath here before continuing to pour money into this tiny animal.

Her answer was, "Bless your heart."

Yeah - bless my heart alright. These places are so expensive that they make it hard for anyone to do right by animals.

Is it any wonder that people throw kittens away? The alternative is a month's rent.

These outrageous costs are one reason why most animals never see vets when they are sick.

We have 11 cats - 2 dogs - and 2 rats and a spider, oh - and 4 ducks. Of all of our cats, only one was adopted my me from a shelter - the other have been strays and offspring from strays - and all of them have been spayed and neutered by us. One of our dogs is from the Humane Society and both rats are rescued feeders.

Am I crazy to expect that vets should offer more reasonable medical services?

eldragon
10-02-2006, 07:29 PM
P.S - my mom, in Oregon, is yelling at me via email for abusing this cat by keeping it alive. She said the humane thing to have done would be to put it to sleep.

That makes me feel good.

veinglory
10-02-2006, 07:35 PM
Because blind individuals do not enjoy their lives? If the kitten is has a reasonable chance at life, go for it. If not then at least it can have a painless way out rather than by exposure. Don't worry about her. Kudos to you. If money is tight I can spare a $20 for the kitten, just let me know where to send it.

Lyra Jean
10-02-2006, 07:47 PM
I can donate $20 as well. Just let me know K.

Good to hear that the kitten is doing a bit better. Hope its checkup turns out a-okay.

Dollywagon
10-02-2006, 07:48 PM
Well, at least your mum has clearly defined what she wants to happen to her if she ever loses her sight;)

You're spot on about the money. Not only does looking after an injured/ill animal take up your time and emotions, it is so expensive.

Take young Bob, for instance. He's had an Ecoli infection which nearly did for him, that led to a kidney problem and then joint ill.
We got those sorted - including a strange case of the squits, that at the time we couldn't understand.
Then he had to be operated on for a slipping knee-cap, his pastern fell under the pressure (but came back up) and then he had to have a bony protrusion removed on his rib cage, due to the fact that somebody had kicked him when younger (see aforesaid 'squits' comment).

My vet's bill - don't have a clue anymore. It's into the thousands.

Some people did try to say that he would be better off not going through it, and probably with most goats they would have been correct, but he seems to have enjoyed most of the attention (see photo) and has always had a 'spark' about living.

Saying that, I also had two excellent vets, who were willing to tackle his problems with an open mind and lots of adapability. As far as I know not that many goats have had a knee cap replaced!

Sheryl Nantus
10-02-2006, 08:05 PM
My regular vet just called me on the phone because they got a report from the emergency vet. They told me that, although it's too soon to give the kitten his shots and I'll have to take him to get his stitches out in 7 days - they said they'd like to test him for feline leuxemia and something else RIGHT AWAY.

I told them that I understand, but I've just spent close to $400 on this kitten since Saturday night and I have to take a breath here before continuing to pour money into this tiny animal.

Her answer was, "Bless your heart."

Yeah - bless my heart alright. These places are so expensive that they make it hard for anyone to do right by animals.

Is it any wonder that people throw kittens away? The alternative is a month's rent.

These outrageous costs are one reason why most animals never see vets when they are sick.

We have 11 cats - 2 dogs - and 2 rats and a spider, oh - and 4 ducks. Of all of our cats, only one was adopted my me from a shelter - the other have been strays and offspring from strays - and all of them have been spayed and neutered by us. One of our dogs is from the Humane Society and both rats are rescued feeders.

Am I crazy to expect that vets should offer more reasonable medical services?

I hear you totally - the annoying thing with all the vets I've dealt with, in the US and Canada, is that they expect the full payment up front and without delay... as if we all have hundreds to pour out at a moment's notice.

Pam, drop me a PM or email with your home addy and I'll have the hubby cut you a check tonight for what we can spare. Again, the offer still stands if you want to send her up north to PA to be with me.

eldragon
10-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Well, at least your mum has clearly defined what she wants to happen to her if she ever loses her sight;)

Thanks for making me laugh!

What can I say? I get my compassion from my dad's side. There for a moment I was actually feeling sorry for myself.

But then again, my mother's companion is is in the dying stage of liver cancer - he's down to days and she is going through real hell. It's easy to see why she has little compassion for a kitten.

I'll PM my paypal address and street address to those who have offered to help. There's nothing else I can say but thank you.

eldragon
10-02-2006, 08:34 PM
http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7896/1821/320/kitten%20face.1.jpg (http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/7896/1821/1600/kitten%20face.1.jpg) Here's a picture.

alleycat
10-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Now I can't see the photos you posted. I'm on a different computer today.

Dollywagon
10-02-2006, 09:59 PM
I didn't know that you have to pay vets up front in the US and Canada?

You don't have to here, but the bills are just as steep or so it seems. I met one woman the other week who'd had a few of her cat's teeth removed at a local vet. Cost £342!!!!

The vet wanted to see her other cats to check their teeth as well. Er, I somehow don't think that was going to happen.

There is a 'general' policy though that livestock treatment is less expensive than pet treatment. Don't know if it is the same over there.

My problem is that most vets try and incorporate my animals as pets even though they are livestock category.

Have you spoken to your normal vet about the tests he wants to do and what he thinks the problem could be (and also the prognosis?)

And I'm on the same pc and still can't see the pics!

eldragon
10-02-2006, 10:05 PM
I have two computers and one shows the picture - the other doesn't.

If you can follow the link to my blog - which is on my profile page - you can see both pictures.

eldragon
10-02-2006, 10:09 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/kittenface.jpg

yesterday's photo:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/kittenI.jpg

Dollywagon
10-02-2006, 10:19 PM
Poor little bugger!

At least he's more comfortable now, and lets keep our fingers crossed that everything else goes well.

MidnightMuse
10-02-2006, 11:26 PM
What a sweet little thing! After those eye sockets heal, and he's all filled out and healthy, it'll look better.

The sockets will be just slightly sunken-in, but fur covered.

SHBueche
10-03-2006, 12:07 AM
I once had a one-eyed cat and I was very careful to only let him out at certain times when I was nearby. Thank you, thank you for rescuing that kitten!

veinglory
10-03-2006, 12:23 AM
Aw, even with the freaky face he's a cute thing. Is he feeling any better now?

veinglory
10-03-2006, 12:35 AM
One thing to consider is pet insurance--for an animal that might have on-going health problems it can be cheaper.

eldragon
10-03-2006, 12:47 AM
Yes - he was out and walking around a little this afternoon. I have had to put him in a pet carrier for his own protection while I ran to the post office - but otherwise he's been on me all day. He puts his head up and listens intently as I talk to him. He also ate some canned catfood that the vet gave me, and more formula.

Unfortunately - no poop yet. I have tried both massaging him with a wet piece of cotton, and putting him in a tiny litterbox I made for him. He tries to eat the litter. Unfortunately, if he doesn't go soon - he'll have to go to the vet for that reason.

Veinglory - I sincerely want to thank you for your donation. Everyone's kindness regarding this matter has been so unexpected. I also appreciate just talking about it. While I realize this is nothing compared to many things that are going on today (shootings, war, disease, etc.) it is something I am dealing with and it's nice having a forum to discuss the matter with.

So thanks for everyone for everything.

MidnightMuse
10-03-2006, 01:05 AM
Well today is his first real day of eating after his surgery, so continue the warm water/cotton ball massage - and make sure you're stroking toward the tail while holding him gently on his back (in your hand). He'll urinate first, then a few minutes later he should poo.

I don't suppose you have any Laxatone at home? He's probably not used to solid food, and his little digestive system needs a little time to process things.

Dollywagon
10-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Is Laxatone a human laxative, MM?
There is a cat laxative we use over here, Catalax or Kittilax or something - lazy woman who has some lurking but can't be bothered to go look at 5am!

He should be urinating anyway, I would think - somebody remind me how old kittens are when mum stops stimulating them to go? But maybe he's doing little 'piddles' that aren't being spotted?

Your vet may also suggest a couple of drops of liquid paraffin in his food if he doesn't start to go soon, Pam, but like MM says, his digestive system is probably just playing catch up due to being young and having so much happen.

Silverpaws
10-03-2006, 08:38 AM
Thank you so much for caring enough to help this kitty. He is very lucky to have ended up with you and he sounds like he has such personality.

I found a kitten at a junkyard many years ago in a similar situation. She was so tiny, and crying her heart out so I picked her up as I waited for my car parts. Then I noticed her eyes were full of puss. I tried to wipe it away and then I noticed the 'puss' was moving. To avoid being to graphic I'll just say that her eyes were 'infested".
The idiot owner of the shop said his wife was "careing" for the kitten and to just leave her. Was he kidding? Leave her there.

I took that kitten and didn't look back. Unfortunetly the vet said she was too far gone and she had to be put down. I would have paid to have her treated but they told me she was just suffering....very sad all around.

I only had her for less then twenty minutes but I named her anway. I'm sure Angel is looking down on you and your kitten right now.

I went back and got her brother the next day and he's still with me. A huge grey fluff. :D

You're situation made me think of little Angel all over again. I don't know how people can be so careless and unfeeling to leave animals to suffer and not do anything. Shame on them. Karma is a B*tch if you cross her.

Please keep us updated on your little one. I'll be sending some good vibes your way.

(oh, and I didn't buy those car parts. No way I'd give money to someone like that!)

alleycat
10-03-2006, 01:30 PM
How's kitty?

eldragon
10-03-2006, 03:32 PM
He's doing well.

Last night, while I watched a movie, he sat on my neck the whole time. He likes to hide in there between my neck and hair.

This morning about 4 I got up and fed him and brought him back to bed with me. He didn't roam off - just nuzzled next to me for about 1 1/2 hours - then I could feel him swatting my finger with his paws. So, he's starting to play!

And he's been fed again and had his medicine and I put him in his carrier for awhile. I'm trying to remember that he's a cat. I don't want to spoil him too rotten.

He has been urinating when I massage him, but no poo yet.

His stomach is much rounder and besides his face - which is pretty spooky, to be honest - he's starting to fill out all over from eating.

Thanks Sheryl Nantus for the donation! Again, it's wonderful that people care about this tiny being they will never see.

Speaking of tiny beings - I have to get my kids up for school. More on Lucky (the kitten) later.

Sheryl Nantus
10-03-2006, 03:44 PM
watch out for that nuzzling! I brought home a wee one from the shelter about three years ago who started that... now he's over twenty pounds and while he hasn't tried that in a long while my neck is still sore just thinking about the number of hours he spent up there!

:D

veinglory
10-03-2006, 05:21 PM
Good to hear that he is progressing. You know I work in an animal welfare field at the moment and it annoys me when people go on about how there are bigger problems in the world. That may well be true but true compassion not only does not, but cannot, pick and choose. It responds to those we encounter who are in need and will accept help.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-03-2006, 05:28 PM
You know I work in an animal welfare field at the moment and it annoys me when people go on about how there are bigger problems in the world.

I'm of the firm opinion that those who think there are bigger problems in the world, ARE the 'bigger problem'.

eldragon
10-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Looking around the net, I'm not finding anything specifically about raising blind cats. I guess it's a wing it kind of situation.

Right now I'm just treating him like a normal kitten who has been taken from his mother too soon.

BTW - we have been back to the place we found the kitten twice - looking for other kittens that might have been dumped, but haven't seen any dead or alive. That creek is a haven for snakes - rattlesnakes and cottonmouths, to be specific, and cottonmouths do eat baby kittens.

If we hadn't shown up when we did - Lucky woud probably have been snake food.

oarsman
10-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Pam,
Here are a few sites with info on blind cats I found:

Catchow Cat Care Center (http://www.catchow.com/catcarecenter_emotional3.aspx?combinedID=20095)

Petswithdisabilities (http://www.petswithdisabilities.org/) - looks like they have a forum, but I didn't look around.

EyeVet (http://www.eyevet.info/blind.html)

MidnightMuse
10-03-2006, 06:33 PM
No, laxatone isn't a human laxative - it's a pet laxative used to help in the passing of hairballs.

You will want to get him in if he doesn't poo by this afternoon - if his tummy's filling out but he's not pooping at all, he'll need a little assistance in that department :)

There are a few things to consider when raising a blind pet, but for the most part, treat him just like a regular cat. After he starts growing up and getting comfortable in your house, you'll begin to forget he can't see !

eldragon
10-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Thanks for those links, Oarsman.

One of them has alot of stories of cats who are blind in one eye. Funny - I actually have a cat who is blind in one eye! She was born without an iris in one eye. She was a stray who wandered up here almost as soon as we moved in last year and had 4 kittens. We kept her and 3 of the kittens - had them spayed and neutered. One we gave away to a good home.

Missing one eye is a piece of cake! Our cat (Figaro) doesn't seem to mind one bit.

Kate Thornton
10-03-2006, 07:40 PM
I have taken in blind elderly poodles - they are so sweet, but many lose their teeth and go blind, then are abandoned. I give them a final year (more if I am lucky!) of care. I now have 2 poodle/terrier mixes, one elderly and sweet w/3 legs, the other a dynamo. Both have their teeth & sight and are just wonderful.

My blind poodles did not seem to notice, they danced & ran & got around pretty well by smell.

Bless you for caring for the kitten.

eldragon
10-03-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm really starting to become pissed at my vet over this.

Because I still cannot get this critter to poop, I called to ask what I should do. Some nit wit who answered the phone just says, "It's $20 for the office visit and $25 for an enema. You'll need a leukemia test, and that's another $45. Then, when you bring him back, there will be another charge for another office visit, plus removal of stitches ........ vaccinations, etc."

I told her, "You know what? There has to be someway that the vet or someone who is supposed to be caring for animals, can knock a chunk off of some of this expense. Seeing as how I already paid close to $400 since I picked up this kitten on Saturday (food and vet costs - plus gas to get to the emergency clinic twice.)

She said, "If you want to continue caring for this kitten, you have to accept the financial responsibility for it."

DUH?

Does anyone but me understand how ludicrous this is? I mean, there is no limit to what vets charge for every little thing!

And please understand that I am just venting at the system. I have received generous donations from members of AW, and I'm not asking for more, or anything like that - but what can I do to get some help from a vet? Don't they take an oath or something?

MidnightMuse
10-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Coming from that profession, I'd best stay out of that part - but as for the pooping:

Is there a pet supply store nearby? I want you to pick up a tube of Laxatone - it's for hairballs - and it comes in a tube. The consistency of toothpaste that tastes like molasses.

When you get that - squeeze out a little bit on your pinky finger and get kitty to lick it - most of them will because it does taste good. Then wait a half hour, then do it again. Do this 2-3 times and see if he'll produce a bowel movement.

Do NOT try to use human laxative ! They're for humans, and use massive doses of Magnesium as a main component.

Sheryl Nantus
10-03-2006, 08:48 PM
I've also used mineral oil in *very* small doses on my cat's wet food to help her get things "moving", as it were.

Dollywagon
10-03-2006, 09:33 PM
Oh, Pam!

Didn't you realise that it's only the kind hearted that suffer financially? Everybody else has a 'business' and overheads - you obviously don't!

I can see why you are steering clear of this part of the conversation, MM. It's a difficult position to be in.

To be honest, right at the beginning of the thread you were asking why people do this kind of thing in the first place. A lot of them are just callous pigs that have no empathy with anybody or anything else on the planet. Another reason people walk on by, is that they simply can't afford to take things like this on.

Kind deeds should be rewarded, or at least looked upon sympathetically, but they aren't. This is the real world - everybody else does what they do for money. Cruel fact.

You can tell I get pretty wound up about this subject as well can't you?

I've got a place full of animals with problems like your kitty - usually caused by mans inhumanity in the first place. They keep me skint and on the bread line - literally, but still I couldn't/wouldn't change what I've done.

I just wish ... well, y'know ... sometimes there would have been something along the way that would have made things a little easier.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-03-2006, 10:00 PM
I'm really starting to become pissed at my vet over this.

Is there another vet nearby? I'd take my business elsewhere if at all possible.

Sheryl Nantus
10-03-2006, 10:05 PM
you'd be surprised at the way some vets work - one that I took my old fat cat to when she was ill wanted $200 up front before he would even *look* at Razz... claimed that it was needed for a deposit, yatta yatta yatta. This was one of the larger outfits and all that; written up in the paper and all.

a half block away a smaller, more homey outfit charged me $25 for the examination, concluded quickly it was an urinary infection and gave me the meds for another ten dollars.

needless to say, that vet got my business until I had to leave. Couldn't be bothered to even look at the larger, fancier dude after that.

awatkins
10-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Glad to hear that Lucky is becoming livelier and is content. He's in good hands. :)

Hope he 'goes' soon!

eldragon
10-03-2006, 10:23 PM
Is there another vet nearby? I'd take my business elsewhere if at all possible

Yes, but I took a stray cat to her once to find out if she thought it was pregnant - and it cost me $100 to find out she was. In fact, if I had waited another 6 hours, I would have found out the natural way. The only reason why I took the cat in the first place was because ever since she showed up at our house - her stomach had been huge and we expected her have kittens. After 6 months, she still produced no kittens, so I took her to the closest vet. She had 4 kittens that night.

So for $100 - she x-rayed her stomach.

eldragon
10-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Is there a pet supply store nearby? I want you to pick up a tube of Laxatone - it's for hairballs - and it comes in a tube. The consistency of toothpaste that tastes like molasses.

OK - I got some LAXA-Stat at the local farm supply store and Lucky licked some eagerly. I also picked up some colostrum replacement there and he loves that, too. (Even though he's a little old for that - it can't hurt, right?)

Also, the lady who worked there asked me how old the kitten was, and told me she used to give enemas to baby kittens who were so young they were translucent. She worked at a clinic that aborted feral cats and she and a co-worker would try to raise the babies. She said I could use a plastic syring (25 cents) and put a tiny amount of warm soapy water in there - and try it myself.

I'm going to cross my fingers that the Laxa-stat will work!

MidnightMuse
10-03-2006, 11:06 PM
Yes, Laxa-stat is good, and colostrum replacement won't hurt one bit :)

Giving a little soapy enema isn't hard, but let's give him a chance with the Laxa-stat first. If you DO go the enema route, give the outside of that syringe a good dosing of mineral oil (and I pray she had you pick up the little 1ml (cc) syringe? )

I'm betting the Laxa-stat will do the trick.

Dollywagon
10-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Just on the soapy enema front, I've got an older cat that has bowel problems because she had her tail pulled off. I just put the nozzle of the syringe inside and that always seems to do the trick. You really hardly need to insert it at all and wouldn't need much fluid with little Lucky.

PS. I sometimes add a couple of drops of liquid paraffin to help things along - which I think may be the mineral oil you are all talking about?

MidnightMuse
10-03-2006, 11:52 PM
Liquid parafin is similar - it's a lubricant, so it will help the syringe tip go in without any. . . owie :) It's not a laxative, but it won't hurt in the least!

veinglory
10-03-2006, 11:59 PM
There is a balance with vets, but I will throw in a story on the other side. I was in the UK at the time. I found a stray ferret, the nearest vet gave me a free exam and a shot of fluids for his dehydration. All she asked was that if I kept him I consider using her as my regular vet. For things that don't cost them very much there is leeway to make a gesture. But everytime a client fails to pay because the animal died despite treatment or something like that, that leeway gets wittled down.

Dollywagon
10-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Sorry, MM, I meant to actually put a few drops of it in the soapy water. I know they give it to livestock at the other end to ease constipation but it also seems to do a decent lubrication job at the mucky end as well.

I'm an expert in cat's bums:D

In fairness, Veinglory, you do have a point. The vet closest to me is very, very, expensive no matter what you take in. She actually charged me Ģ95 for an enema on the aforesaid cat. But I had a great vet in Wales, and found a good one round here (she has just moved out of the area...AAAGGHHH) who were not free, but definitely fair.
It lessened the worry in quite a few very dire situations.

eldragon
10-04-2006, 12:13 AM
But everytime a client fails to pay because the animal died despite treatment or something like that, that leeway gets wittled down.

I understand. Still, I think there should be some kind of cap on medical treatment for animals.

I paid for the kittens eye surgery the other night before he had it done. I had the option of just paying some - but I figured why wait? I was coming back in a few hours to pick him up anyway.

They charged $50 to keep him from 10 PM to 7 AM - a "cage fee." Somehow I don't think he incurred that kind of expense for that. The office visit was $85, but it was a Sunday night emergency, and I knew before I got there.

Since that clinic is only open at night - and not during the day - they should just charge regular fees! They'd get alot more business, I'd think - because most people have more time to take their pets to the vet in the evening and on weekends.

eldragon
10-04-2006, 12:16 AM
Oh, and my regular vet will put an animal down for free. He has to be 100% sure that it's necessary, though.

I took my pet rat to him last April because he gained alot of weight and the doctor determined that the rat had heart disease, and put him on medicine.

Two months later, he was in terrible condition and started eating his hands. I took him back to the vet and asked him to put the rat down (she was two years old,) and he didn't want to, but he did. No charge.

Still, he was trying to convince me to give the rat another few weeks on heart medicine. I said "No way am I bringing her home without hands!" (or feet..)

MidnightMuse
10-04-2006, 12:24 AM
Well, there are clinics that will nickel and dime you to death (such as cage fees) and others that are more reasonable. The clinic I worked in was open 24/7/365 - emergencies after regular business hours. Our fees were middle of the road, no extra add-ons like that, and all work for seeing eye dogs and K-9 Police Officers was no-charge.

And yes, we did stray work for free or donation whenever we could.

But they're all different. Veterinarians are people, some are greedy, some aren't. Some have more compassion than others. And some are just jerks.

But in Seattle, there's one who is DROP DEAD gorgeous :D

Dollywagon
10-04-2006, 12:27 AM
A GORGEOUS vet!!!

I may consider moving.

My new vet sounded like that over the phone and then I finally met him:cry:

My friend was really disappointed when I told her the reality!

Sheryl Nantus
10-04-2006, 12:37 AM
four pages later, and anyone who doesn't own a cat or is an animal lover must think we're all nuts.

MidnightMuse
10-04-2006, 12:43 AM
Those who don't get it, can't be helped :D

eldragon
10-04-2006, 01:07 AM
I'd pay more for a drop dead gorgeous vet!

Anyway - here's the latest photo:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/kittywithstuffedanimal.jpg

He actually bats this stuffed animal around a bit. I've let him out to walk around today, too. In my office I have hardwood floors and he kind of circles around and around - gradually increasing the size of his area.

Very unsual, this kitten.

MidnightMuse
10-04-2006, 01:20 AM
What a cutie ! He needs to get his whiskers in, and they'll be pretty long, compared to most cats - since he'll be using them exclusively. And you'll notice after a while that he walks around with his whiskers "at attention" more than any other cat !

He's learning the shape of the room, and playing :)

Kate Thornton
10-04-2006, 01:37 AM
What a sweetie! Thanks for posting the picture. How can you not love a creature like that? Or any creature?

Jack (my avatar) Nero, & Jeeves send their best (my kitties) as do Typpee & CoCo (my doggies) - All are rescues (but they really rescue *us*, don't they?)

Cath
10-04-2006, 02:13 AM
Aww - he's cute. He certainly looks more perky.

My oldest cat, Shakespeare, went blind when he was 14, he lived another 4 years* navigating by his whiskers (although he did get grumpy when my ma left her shoes in the middle of the floor). I'm sure Lucky will have a great life with you looking after him.

*his brother, Dickens, is still going strong at 20!

veinglory
10-04-2006, 02:37 AM
This reminds me of a time my old cat had an eye problem. He was a black and white cat with one side of his face white and one black. The vet suggested sewing the affected eye shut which should allow it to heal--and putting a small button in the stitches to stop him from pulling them off. So the cat had a normal four hole white plastic button sewn on the black side of his face, just in time for halloween.

I was meant to keep him inside but we drove each other crazy so I let him out and he was absolutely fine. Although I did get a few calls from the neighbours...

oarsman
10-04-2006, 02:43 AM
I think Lucky is going to be "happy-go-lucky" in no time at all (sorry, i couldn't resist). He's a cute fuzzy kitty!

Pam, I found two more links on caring for a blind cat:

petplace - living with a blind cat (http://www.petplace.com/cats/living-with-a-blind-cat/page1.aspx)

Adopting a blind kitten (http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf95041725.tip.html)

eldragon
10-04-2006, 06:32 AM
Oarsman - those links are great! Thanks!

Tonight on our walk, I saw another cat in the same creek that Lucky was found in. This one wasn't so fortunate, though. It was an adult, perhaps Lucky's mother?

The more I think about it I wonder if maybe Luckys eyes were pried open by a hideous person. I've heard that some people think that's fun to do - but it was one of those things I tried not to think about. It's too cruel.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-04-2006, 03:22 PM
Sometimes - times like these - I really hate people. The only thing that makes me feel better is knowing that for every one of the @$$holes who enjoy hurting other living things, there are 100 people like Pam who try to make it right.

Karma will prevail.

eldragon
10-04-2006, 03:32 PM
It worked! The Laxa-Stat worked - just like Midnight Muse said it would - and he pooped last night!

What a relief! (For both of us, probably.)

Now we can move on!

Thanks Midnight Muse! Your advice was right on!

oarsman
10-04-2006, 03:44 PM
That's Great!!
A big MEOW http://www.wdisneyw.com/forums/images/smilies2004/cat.gif to Midnight Muse, Pam, and Lucky !!

Sheryl Nantus
10-04-2006, 05:18 PM
*huge sigh of relief*

of course, I'm not sure what it says for the lot of us that we're so relieved over a bit of kitty poop...

but it's all good!

Lyra Jean
10-04-2006, 05:49 PM
It means we love kitties. And if other people can't understand that then too bad. :D

Glad to hear Lucky is doing so well.

awatkins
10-04-2006, 06:09 PM
:hooray:

veinglory
10-04-2006, 06:31 PM
You would not believe how often I have found myself wondering if the kitten pooped yet... glad to know.

MidnightMuse
10-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Oh I am SO glad to hear that !!! Super news :snoopy:

Out of habit, I always keep an eye on the "doings" of my cats. Drives them nuts to see me watching them go sometimes - especially when I offer them a magazine :D

Cath
10-04-2006, 06:48 PM
:e2woo:

Great news!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-04-2006, 06:59 PM
:Clap: :PartySmil :Clap:

Last time I was this concerned over kitty poop, my Tuxedo had eaten about a foot of lovely burgundy-colored satin ribbon.

About three days before my father-in-law's funeral.

We had to spend those three days making arrangements and watching poop, waiting for the one that came gift-wrapped... or put her in surgery the day of the funeral!

There was much rejoicing in the household that morning when that ribbon appeared!

eldragon
10-04-2006, 08:36 PM
All this partying over kitty poop!

He's really doing well -chowing down on both canned catfood and the colostrum replacement formula I got yesterday. He has huge paws and perhaps he's going to be a giant cat!

eldragon
10-04-2006, 10:50 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/kittyonbear.jpg

Here's a new picture of the kitten sleeping in the arms of a stuffed bear. I was really hoping a mother cat we have who just had kittens last spring, but has since been spayed - would at least cuddle with Lucky - but she wasn't interested. (He was.)

Too bad I can't bribe some of my cats to sit with him. Say - a can of catfood in exchange for an hour babysitting. Nope. The ones who have seen him are not interested in getting to know him, at least not yet.

That's where I am a poor substitute for a cat mom. I have other things I need to do, and cat moms have free schedules. Still, I'm doing the best I can and he seems to like it.

veinglory
10-04-2006, 10:53 PM
I imagine the cats disagree about the schedule thing, the have to start the day by breaking something, complain about nothing, go out, come in, go back out again, come back in again, a solid four hours sleep appointment with the windowsill, fight with other cat, bite your ankle, etc etc busy busy

eldragon
10-04-2006, 11:03 PM
yes, my cats do have their schedules. It probably looks like this:

1 AM: covet favorite living room chair and sleep the day away, waking only to the sound of the can opener.

5 PM: go outside for nap on porch.

11 PM: Is Pam asleep? She is? Good, I'd like back in now.

Cath
10-04-2006, 11:17 PM
:D Sounds about right, Pam.

MidnightMuse
10-04-2006, 11:22 PM
Ah, cat schedules ! I like 'em better than: let dog in, let dog out, let dog in, let dog out.

Kitten is looking adorable! I'm sure he's making the best of the time he does have with you, and enjoying the teddy bear when you're busy. :)

Sheryl Nantus
10-04-2006, 11:34 PM
neverunderestimate the power of a good stuffed animal - my latest baby literally grabbed onto a catnip mouse and started carrying it around with him in his mouth, like a new friend.

we now have five "George" mice and he takes them to the food dish, water dish, and then to the litter box.

Mitchell has quite the imagination.

he also plays with the Georges; flipping them over his head and stalking them. All twenty pounds of tabby flying around the house is quite a sight.

Lucky'll grow into the teddy - count on it.

Kate Thornton
10-05-2006, 12:29 AM
Oh, I can't tell you how happy I am that the little kitty is doing well! What a sweetie - that picture with the stuffed bear is a classic. And I wondered along with everyone else last night if he had pooped - a sign that our hearts are in the right place: in the paws of a kitten.

alleycat
10-05-2006, 12:37 AM
I wonder if anyone has ever written a story about a blind kitty . . . if not, someone should.

Kate Thornton
10-05-2006, 01:31 AM
Here's a Haiku for him:

As small as my hand
which must now protect his life
blind, his heart can see

eldragon
10-05-2006, 02:43 AM
How sweet!

I was thinking about how often what we say assumes that someone has vision:

"Look at that!"
"Look at you!"
"See what I mean?"
"I have something to show you."

I keep thinking that this kitten will be able to see when his stitches come out, just as all kittens are born blind and then their eyes open. I keep forgetting that he has no eyeballs and will never see. I have already had to adjust how I look at him. For instance - is he going to sleep? How can you tell if his eyes aren't shut? Is he just sitting there observing things, or is he asleep? Does he know if it's daylight or if it's night? Will he ever learn to use a litterbox since he's never seen another cat use one?

There is always so much to learn.

alleycat
10-05-2006, 02:50 AM
I think using the litterbox is an instinct. He shouldn't have much trouble when he's older.

CATastrophe
10-05-2006, 06:11 AM
I've not checked here in a couple days and see I've missed so much of the drama! I am so thrilled that the baby is doing well now thanks to your patience and perseverance.

Bast is the Egyptian Goddess and protector of cats, women and children.

When you mentioned that the local media wouldn't be interested, I found that very sad. I think it's amazing and cruely ironic that those who condone and advocate hunting can treat their own animals/hunting dogs with such disregard. I have no use for that mentality and can't understand it.

No doubt your new little baby will adjust just fine and be a wonderful addition to the family. I think she's beautiful.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-05-2006, 03:24 PM
And we demand new pics, too! :D

Cath
10-05-2006, 03:33 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about him, Pam. Cats rely much more on their senses of smell and touch than we do. He'll find his way to the litter tray just fine.

eldragon
10-05-2006, 04:28 PM
He pooped all over the place this morning - in his box - on me and everywhere. Fortunately it's like human baby poop and not that bad.

Maybe I'll cut back on the baby cat formula and just let him eat the canned catfood from now on.

He's purring up a storm now, something he just started.

Cath
10-05-2006, 04:54 PM
He's sounding just like a normal kitten.

Any more pics yet?

Sheryl Nantus
10-05-2006, 05:50 PM
well, at least we know his innards are working properly...

MidnightMuse
10-05-2006, 07:58 PM
Burying one's . . .business, is natural. So he should get the hang of the litter box just fine. We would have clients petting Dimitri for ten or fifteen minutes while waiting for their appointment, and they'd never even realize he had no eyeballs.

He could fake you out, though, thinking he was sound asleep when he wasn't! And you had to give him toys to play with that wouldn't roll out of his reach, although he could always locate the ones filled with catnip.

ETA: OHH, I LOVE kitten purrs!!! :D

eldragon
10-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Found out some good news today that's worth passing on:

Petsmart has a veterinarian who comes into their clinic Tuesdays and Thursdays and does free exams. They told me to bring in the kitten in next Tuesday and they would remove his stitches for free, and do a free exam.

The Dr. who did his surgery also does surgery for Petsmart on Fridays.

I have been half-heartedly looking around for another kitten his exact same age to be his buddy. Considering fostering one so that he has someone to pile onto at night, etc. So far I've spoken to several people who do fostering and nobody has one his age.

Still, it's a thought.

MidnightMuse
10-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Excellent ! That way he can get his stitches out and have another lookover. I'm so glad he's pooping up a storm, as it were :)

Consider, also, if you can find him a buddy who's an adult. There are some "frustrated mothers" out there, adult cats who love to "mother" younger ones. Perhaps some of the fostering families would know if they had one cat who likes to dolt over the others? I used to have one like that. She'd adopt anything that strolled into the house and take charge of it!

eldragon
10-05-2006, 11:06 PM
I want to personally thank Veinglory, Alleycat , Kate Thornton, Sheryl Nantus, , (Jen) Ol' Fashioned Girl and Robin (from Gulfport) for their generous donations to help with Lucky. Seriously - what a great bunch of caring individuals on this board. I hope someday I can repay everyone in some way for their kindness.

It's very touching. I'll have to think of some way to properly thank everyone.

But I'm thankful for just being able to talk to others about this, and for Midnight Muse's helpful advice, too!

eldragon
10-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Consider, also, if you can find him a buddy who's an adult. There are some "frustrated mothers" out there, adult cats who love to "mother" younger ones. Perhaps some of the fostering families would know if they had one cat who likes to dolt over the others? I used to have one like that. She'd adopt anything that strolled into the house and take charge of it!

I was hoping Figaro, a new mother herself and also the cat with one eye - would take to this kitten. She was the best mom I've ever seen. She nursed her cats for almost 4 months - until they were all spayed and neutered.

Unfortunately, she doesn't care for Lucky or any other cats, for that matter. That was a disapointment. One of her kittens - a neutered boy named Brownie, doesn't mind Lucky and licked him a little bit last night. But today he ran off. Well, actually he's laying by the kittens box right now - but it's more because I'm also here.

Dollywagon
10-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Another positive factor is that I've just read on the net that black and white cats are usually the ones overlooked when getting re-homed. Apparently people prefer more unusual colours.

See - you get double brownie points!

"Burying one's . . .business, is natural" - Go on then, MM - Let's have a photo of that then!:D

alleycat
10-06-2006, 02:24 AM
I have a feeling Lucky would get more attention than he'd know what to do with if we were all there.

eldragon
10-06-2006, 04:17 AM
I agree, Alleycat! He has no idea of the big fan club he has!

writerterri
10-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Wow, I had no idea about this.

I'm so happy this is turning out so well and all the donations! Bravo!

I would have done the same thing you did and took it in.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-06-2006, 03:45 PM
Another positive factor is that I've just read on the net that black and white cats are usually the ones overlooked when getting re-homed. Apparently people prefer more unusual colours.

That's a shame, then. I've got a little wicked tuxedo who's one of the lights of my life. All three of ours are rescues - she'd been in three homes before we got her. People kept bringing her back because she's got a tendency to nip - because her first caretaker (and I use that term loosely) had her declawed... and whoever did the procedure almost cut her feet off.

alleycat
10-06-2006, 04:17 PM
For any of you cat lovers who don't already know about it, there's a site called Kitten Wars ( http://kittenwar.com/ ) which people post photos of their kitten and others vote on which kitty is cuter (just for fun). It's an excellent way to waste an hour of your life.

This is my own Anna: http://kittenwar.com/kittens/37710/ (who is currently losing the war . . . but that's alright, she couldn't care less).

Dollywagon
10-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Another good thing has come out of this as well.
I've taken in a variety of losers since I was 17 (now 46) and my attitude has always been "my choice - my responsibility."

This year things changed a bit. A couple of people came to view my house, which is for sale, and asked if I took donations. I just laughed.

Then I saw how people here helped out. Willingly and with a good heart.
I was telling someone about it and they told me to ask for help. At the minute I am stretched beyond belief.

I was reluctant, very. Apparently I'm fiercely independent (or so I'm told) but anyway this morning I phoned a charity that helps out animal rescuers - not a big one, they scare me a bit.
The woman offered to help out straight away.
She is sorting out some hay and straw, feed and a vet's bill.

The relief is overwhelming. Even with all the other carp going on in my life, I can now feel at least the little so and so's are going to be OK for the next couple of months.

I think I've been a bit stupid and stubborn really.

See, so Lucky has been lucky for others not just for himself!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-06-2006, 09:37 PM
I don't know of any group in the universe who's more willing to help one another more than animal lovers. I'm so glad Lucky's fan club inspired you to ask for a hand... Pam didn't ask, but we didn't give her much of a chance to! Letting people help not only helps the person in need, but the helper, also. I felt good to know I'd helped Pam help Lucky, even a tiny bit. She doesn't have to do anything special for me as a thanks... she already has.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-06-2006, 09:37 PM
And, speaking of Pam and Lucky... where's today's picture!?!

eldragon
10-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Oh, I just haven't had the chance.

Besides - he's been scratching his eyes and they don't look very pretty. I figure they'll be all infected by Sunday, at the rate he's going.

He's taking antibiotics and I'm hoping that helps. Otherwise, I might have to bound his paws.

Dollywagon
10-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Would he be better with a little buster collar, Pam, or would that drive him bonkers as well?

Blast, I've got a kitten size one sitting on a shelf in the kitchen.

CyberCobre
10-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Bless you, eldragon.

eldragon
10-07-2006, 12:15 AM
Blast, I've got a kitten size one sitting on a shelf in the kitchen

They have those? Crap. It would probably drive him nuts, but his scratching at the stitches isn't helping.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/kitty.jpg

MidnightMuse
10-07-2006, 01:03 AM
What a little darlin'! That one eye does look a tad swollen. Is he on any antibiotics? Any pressure or drainage happening?

They do make Elizabethian collars for kittens (and puppies) and most clinics will rent them to you, if you can't make one yourself. Then we can call him Cone Head for a few days :D

They're easy to make yourself - but I always made them using X-rays (the film is the perfect consistency). If you can think of a material at home that would work, it's a simple pattern to cut out.

Technically, really, a good cardboard would work, or a file folder.

eldragon
10-07-2006, 01:20 AM
He's on anti-biotics - clavamox (amoxicillin).
And yes, there is some drainage.

He's not scratching that much. Right now he's not scratching at all, but I think some stitches are coming loose.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/ktitensitting.jpg

MidnightMuse
10-07-2006, 01:24 AM
Awww! I like that picture - he's smiling :)

That's a good broad spectrum antibiotic, and it's been - what - 5 days? 7? So coming loose at this point is fine. He looks so happy in that photo - makes me smile :)

ETA: And look at that little beard! Like he has a goatee or something!!

eldragon
10-07-2006, 01:38 AM
Yeah, that's what he does : sits on me and looks up, intently listening to what I'm saying. Today I was laughing about something and he was really interested in that sound.

He's a real mama's boy, that's for sure. He wants to sit on me - in the crook of my arm - on the back of my neck or on my lap. When my husband takes him he refuses to go to sleep and gets impatient when he hears me talking.

BTW - I was referred to a woman who fosters kittens (remember, I was thinking about getting him a buddy?) and talked to her at length last night on the phone. She also has a completely blind cat. She says that blind cats do not like other cats and he'll be better off alone. She says blind cats just swat at other cats continuously. I guess she's right, because Lucky did swat at one of our cats. She said her Chihuahua loves her blind cat and they are buddies, but her cat is still independent.

I'm not getting a Chihuahua! I mean, I'll check under the bridge for one that was dumped - but there's no way I'm getting another pet voluntarily!

I already have 2 dogs, thank you. Maybe my Great Pyranees dog would like a kitten?

MidnightMuse
10-07-2006, 01:44 AM
LOL! A seeing-eye Great Pyranees? I've heard of stranger things :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-07-2006, 03:44 AM
Bless his heart! I bet those stitches itch! Thanks for the pic, Pam.

eldragon
10-07-2006, 06:54 AM
BTW - his puffy eye drained - he was on the floor of my office eating food and the next thing I saw there was blood droplets speckled about. Anyway - his eye looks better now that it drained.

Dollywagon
10-07-2006, 08:28 AM
I'm glad it's drained a bit and it will be itchy for him when you think how tender the eye area is.

It's still a cute photo, scabby or not:tongue

Dollywagon
10-07-2006, 10:34 PM
I don't think we've had a Lucky kitty update today?

Well, in my 'today' anyway, which will shortly be over...

eldragon
10-08-2006, 04:38 AM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/lucky.jpg

It's all good here.

Lucky has been using his litterbox completely and is making his way through the center of 3 rooms of the house. He is a fat little butterball - amazing considering that just a few days ago he was skeletal.

What a difference a week makes!

Sheryl Nantus
10-08-2006, 04:41 AM
*chortles*

looks like a pullout for Kittens Gone Wild...

fat 'lil thing... and he's being spoiled rotten, of course.

glad things are working out!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-08-2006, 04:59 AM
And there's no end to the folk here at AW lined up to spoil him if Pam decides she doesn't want to any more!

Dollywagon
10-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Well I actually did manage to go a whole day without a 'kitty fix.'

He looks so relaxed and happy:)

Cath
10-09-2006, 12:49 AM
Aww, I just want to tickle his tum with his paw back there like that. :)

He looks very happy. Pam, I think you're amazing.

Nancy
10-09-2006, 02:11 AM
You guys are the best! Nice to see such a caring group of folks.

I spent the week w/ people of the other persuasion - self-involved, entitled, etc. Yuck.

Nancy

CATastrophe
10-09-2006, 02:14 AM
Since he's just so tiny, a quickie elizabethan collar could be fashioned from a cheapie paper plate if necessary.

I found my cat hates the collars, except for this one:
http://www.funstufffordogs.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1109607904

It's the only style she'll tolerate because it doesn't restrict her vision as much.

Lucky looks like he is doing well! So happy to see he's thriving.

MidnightMuse
10-09-2006, 03:10 AM
He's looking SO cute !!

alleycat
10-09-2006, 03:31 PM
I spent the week w/ people of the other persuasion - self-involved, entitled, etc.
You spent the week with teenagers?

(Just kidding!)

Nancy
10-09-2006, 05:29 PM
Actually, I do work w/ teenagers, but they are the easy ones - I'm talking adults who should know better!!

N

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Okay... okay. I KNOW I'm impatient.

How's Lucky? :)

eldragon
10-10-2006, 05:59 PM
He's fine. I'm taking to get his stitches out today and I'll post a picture later!

It's hard to believe he's been with us 10 days now! He's only eating Science Diet AD - no formula. I give him some drops of water twice a day - he hates it but I don't want him to get dehydrated.

MidnightMuse
10-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Does he know where his fresh water bowl is yet? He should be drinking water daily from a bowl by now, or very soon if he isn't yet.

eldragon
10-10-2006, 07:40 PM
He doesn't seem to like to drink liquids. I'll keep trying.

And BTW - Midnight Muse - I just received your cute card and donation for Lucky!

You're so considerate - the advice you have given me was more than enough!

Thanks again!

(Off to Petsmart.....................)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Time sure flies, doesn't it? Can't wait to see the new pics!

Will he drink a little milk? It makes some cats get diarreah, though...

eldragon
10-11-2006, 06:07 AM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/kitty-1.jpg

This isn't such a great picture, because he was playing so furiously he didn't want to pose!

So his stitches are out and it looks OK. It was fairly painful, I think, and took 2 vets and a technician to hold him while they did it. One of his eyes was scabbed over and is a little infected, so they gave me another dose of antiobiotics.

Besides that - he weighs .9 lbs and is diong very well. He's completely litter box trained.

I was listening to the radio on my way to Petsmart and heard them say that they would give $94 to a caller when they heard Van Halen, or something - and I barely registered the phone number. So about 20 minutes later, they played 2 Van Halen songs and I dialed the number. The dj said "You have to call after the song is over."

Ok - so I waited for the song to end and tried again - busy. I tried again and was the 9th caller and won! How odd!

All those stipulations - a number a wasn't sure off - after the second Van Halen song ends - the 9th caller, and I still won!

veinglory
10-11-2006, 06:10 AM
The luck is rubbing off :)

thanks for the updates! I was in the supermarket today with kitty envy (I only have a dog) and just had to buy these furry mice. If I sent them for Lucky would you consider me a kitten stalker?

Sheryl Nantus
10-11-2006, 03:21 PM
have Lucky pick out some lottery numbers now...

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-11-2006, 03:33 PM
He looks SO much better! Thanks so much for sharing Lucky with us!

eldragon
10-11-2006, 04:14 PM
thanks for the updates! I was in the supermarket today with kitty envy (I only have a dog) and just had to buy these furry mice. If I sent them for Lucky would you consider me a kitten stalker?

So what you're saying is that cats are in short supply where you live? You can't find one?

I have 11 other cats besides Lucky and 3 of them are the most beautiful black cats I've ever seen. They were born in May and are really spectacular and sweet.

How many do you want?

Seriously, you can stalk Lucky all you want. He deserves a fan club.

veinglory
10-11-2006, 06:44 PM
Heh. I am only in the US another year and then who knows. Shipping one dog across the Pacific is a daunting enough prospect. But once I am back in NZ I plan to start my own clowder :)

MidnightMuse
10-11-2006, 06:55 PM
He's just getting cuter and cuter ! And he's giving YOU luck now :D

eldragon
10-11-2006, 11:02 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/kittyoncow.jpg

He loves to sit on laps - any lap will do. Even this purple stuffed cow. He loves it.

MidnightMuse
10-11-2006, 11:07 PM
SO cute ! :)

alleycat
10-11-2006, 11:22 PM
Wonder if Lucky would like a heated pad made especially for a cat? I have one . . . somewhere. It's about 18"x24". I never used it much. I didn't want to leave it plugged in when I wasn't there; and when I am there . . . I'M THE HEATING PAD.

MidnightMuse
10-11-2006, 11:32 PM
... and when I am there . . . I'M THE HEATING PAD.

The first step is admitting it :D

Cath
10-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Awwww. :)

eldragon
10-11-2006, 11:50 PM
Thanks Alleycat, but I think he'll be ok.

He has lots of stuffed friends and me and baby blankets. (Plus it's 80 degrees outside.)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/kittyfriends.jpg

alleycat
10-12-2006, 03:26 AM
It was almost 80 here today . . . but they say it's going to be down into the 30s come tomorrow night.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

If you decide you want the heated blanket, let me know. I'll see if I can find it.

veinglory
10-12-2006, 03:42 AM
That blue bear has a kind of psychopathic stare!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-12-2006, 06:32 AM
Pam, Lucky's so cute he makes me cry! Thanks for more pictures. Ol' Boy and I really love 'em.

MidnightMuse
10-12-2006, 06:29 PM
That blue bear has a kind of psychopathic stare!

Good thing Lucky can't see it :D

Nancy
10-12-2006, 10:00 PM
AC:

AT the end of his life, we got one of those heating pad beds for our old, sick guy. He loved the warmth and would almost grin w/ delight when on it.

N

Kate Thornton
10-13-2006, 01:02 AM
Oh, Lucky is so cute onthat bear's lap!!!

Our kitties (& the pups) love their heating pad in the winter - and they all share it, too!

veinglory
10-13-2006, 01:05 AM
An old fashioned hotwater bottle can be good, if you have one. Wrapped in a blanket ot will saty warm through most of a work day (used it was baby possums once)

Silverpaws
10-14-2006, 02:38 AM
I've used a neck warmer before for some foster kittens. The kind you can get from the mall, they're filled with seeds or beans and you put them in the microwave for two minutes so they come out toasty. The kittens loved to sit on them. I had one that would hop right on by himself whenever I held it out to him!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-15-2006, 06:06 AM
Having... Lucky... withdrawal... ::gasp::

veinglory
10-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Oops, this thread is more demanding than Lucky is...

Dollywagon
10-15-2006, 08:19 AM
Don't worry, I'm still addicted too. I pop in everyday for a peek:tongue

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-15-2006, 04:40 PM
I can't help m'self. :) We had a friend over last evening and after dinner I told her about Lucky... she made me bring her in and show her the pics. She didn't have to force me very hard.

eldragon
10-15-2006, 08:06 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/kittyface.jpg

You guys are funny. Lucky is fine - roaming around the house and being spoiled by everyone who lives here. He acts like a regular kitten - does the same things they all do - but looks different in the face!

He is so good about using his litterbox - I can't believe it. I have still been putting him in his big cardboard box at night because I don't want anyone to accidently step on him - but during the day he is free to roam. He takes naps here and there and we usually know where he's at.

Usually I take his litterbox and set it down on the floor - and he goes to it when he needs to.

He seems more mature than other kittens his age. Or, more advanced.

No, really!

eldragon
10-15-2006, 08:17 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/laundry.jpg

I just took this one : Lucky playing in the clean laundry!

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/nina.jpg

This is my 9 year old daughter, Nina, playing with Lucky!

Lyra Jean
10-15-2006, 08:28 PM
Lucky is so cute. He just looks like he has his eyes closed. For some reason I thought he would look a lot different.

Dollywagon
10-15-2006, 09:09 PM
Did the vet ever give a diagnosis or opinion as to what had happened to him, Pam?

eldragon
10-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Did the vet ever give a diagnosis or opinion as to what had happened to him, Pam?

Not really. It was either that Lucky was born with infected eyes or perhaps someone forced them open. But, the vet doesn't think the damage occured when he was thrown from the bridge.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-16-2006, 01:35 AM
He looks wonderful! Thanks for the update and the pics.

Dollywagon
10-16-2006, 08:19 AM
He looks really contented and it warms the cockles of me 'art to see him!

I can't help thinking about when I was in hospital a good few years ago.

A woman came in, who had previously had her eye removed due to cancer. It had spread to the other one, and she just lay in severe pain everyday as she awaited the removal of it.

Initially, I couldn't understand how anybody could actually want to be blinded, but as the days past and I watched her suffer through the glass window, I began to want it for her as well.

That's how I saw Lucky, when he first came on. Once the pain was removed, then the blindness would be a secondary inconvenience.

MidnightMuse
10-16-2006, 06:21 PM
He's such a cutie ! If you get a minute, go visit catoftheday.com and look up Sunday's cat of the day - he's a blind adult, has his eyes but is completely blind. His story is fantastic, and he's a handsome guy, just like Lucky is gonna be :)

eldragon
10-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Wow - Midnight Muse - that cat doesn't even look blind! How beautiful!

Thanks Nancy for your donation! You are yet another incredible person on this board!

Is the picture on the card really a domestic cat, or is it a wild one? It's gorgeous! Is it really yours?

Details!

eldragon
10-16-2006, 07:43 PM
This is so weird! Today in the mail I received a donation from Nancy, and decided to head over to Petsmart to buy enough Science Diet AD (prescription) to get Lucky through the recommended period. But, of course, I wanted to thank Nancy first.

So, as I was sitting here, money sitting on the only other piece of mail I got today - I looked down to see that it is a Petsmart coupon - Save $5 off your next purchase of $15! YIPPEE!

Another coincidence!?

Sheryl Nantus
10-16-2006, 09:12 PM
of course you realise we're all expecting Christmas photos of Lucky...

Angelinity
10-16-2006, 09:35 PM
can't see any pics! not fair :(

alleycat
10-17-2006, 12:09 AM
Angelinity,

I tried to add you to my Yahoo messenger list so I could forward the photos. The request is pending. Or, if you're willing to send my your e-mail address in a PM, I'll send the photos that way.

I have trouble viewing the pictures too when I'm on another computer.

eldragon
10-17-2006, 01:50 AM
Right - but I replaced them all with links to photobucket. Everyone should be able to see those.

CATastrophe
10-17-2006, 05:55 PM
He has come such a long way! And isn't he just the handsomest boy! It's good to see him looking so fine and content.

Angelinity
10-17-2006, 06:07 PM
awww he looks like Barnaby, one of mine. barnabys are so affectionate and good tempered!

i remember back when i rescued barnaby, he was about this size and didn't let me put him down for a minute. i was building my house in the ol' country those days and had to cook three meals a day for six construction guys - barnaby let me work only if i tucked him in my t-shirt. he would sleep for hours curled around my back as i puttered around the kitchen. wow, he's nine now!

Lucky looks so sweet! you did a great job with him :)

Nancy
10-18-2006, 01:05 AM
Pam:

You and your boy are very welcome - glad to help out!

Yes, the cat on the card (photo by hubby) is my boy and he's an Ocicat.

He sends hugs to Lucky or at least semi-interested glances.........

N

Soccer Mom
10-21-2006, 01:03 AM
Can't believe I just found this thread. Glad lucky is still doing well. All of my animals are unwanted rescues and are now spoiled rotten. Everyone does a double-take when they see my Lab because he is gorgeous. He just has no tail. It was mangled when we found him.

True story: Last summer, I was on my way to a meeting with my mother and we were running late. By the side of the road I see a puppy, much to small to be out by itself and we live in the middle of nowhere, so I'm thinking dumped. I make a U-turn and it scampers into the bushes. I get out of my car and two puppy faces poke out of the bushes. "Good grief," I say. "There's two of them." Now it's almost 100 degrees out even though it's evening and there isn't a water source anywhere. The last thing I need are more dogs, but I can't leave them. So I call them "puppypuppypuppy," and FIVE little puppies come rolling out of the bushes. They had injuries, fleas, ticks, a horrible round worm infestation, a bacterial skin infection, ingrown toenails from being couped up in a kennel or something. They were so dehydrated and thirsty that they tried to drink condensation dripping off my car. The first month with them was nasty, difficult work. And expensive. But we kept one and found home for four more. Happy endings for all the puppies that were almost roadkill/coyote food.

Bless you for taking care of the little critter. He looks like an adorable little toot.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-21-2006, 01:30 AM
And speaking of 'adorable little toots'... I've been ever so patient! How's Lucky doing? :)

eldragon
10-21-2006, 04:00 AM
Can't believe I just found this thread. Glad lucky is still doing well. All of my animals are unwanted rescues and are now spoiled rotten. Everyone does a double-take when they see my Lab because he is gorgeous. He just has no tail. It was mangled when we found him.

True story: Last summer, I was on my way to a meeting with my mother and we were running late. By the side of the road I see a puppy, much to small to be out by itself and we live in the middle of nowhere, so I'm thinking dumped. I make a U-turn and it scampers into the bushes. I get out of my car and two puppy faces poke out of the bushes. "Good grief," I say. "There's two of them." Now it's almost 100 degrees out even though it's evening and there isn't a water source anywhere. The last thing I need are more dogs, but I can't leave them. So I call them "puppypuppypuppy," and FIVE little puppies come rolling out of the bushes. They had injuries, fleas, ticks, a horrible round worm infestation, a bacterial skin infection, ingrown toenails from being couped up in a kennel or something. They were so dehydrated and thirsty that they tried to drink condensation dripping off my car. The first month with them was nasty, difficult work. And expensive. But we kept one and found home for four more. Happy endings for all the puppies that were almost roadkill/coyote food.

Bless you for taking care of the little critter. He looks like an adorable little toot.

Bless me? Bless you! I picked up a dumped mother dog and her pups last spring (only 2 pups, mind you,) and my husband almost killed me. We already had a huge menagerie of pets. I put the dogs in an old kennel we have, and they immediately knocked the gate off getting out. Thus began an entire night of their antics ...........everything from barking to whining - all night long. (We live in the country, thank goodness.) Between them and a stray cat who had just delivered 4 kittens and kept insisting that they belong under the house with the kingsnakes that live under there - and my angry, silent spouse - I got no sleep. The next morning, he took them to the Humane Society, which is 30 miles from here.

So, bless you!

eldragon
10-21-2006, 04:05 AM
And speaking of 'adorable little toots'... I've been ever so patient! How's Lucky doing? :)

Oh, he's great! He walks around the house like he has 20/20 vision! He is such a joy to have around - I have no regrets about anything. He is something else.

I was a bit overwhelmed the first week - thinking that a sightless animal would be a burden, but he is fabulous. He's the sweetest cat we've ever had. (Although he does bite and scratch - he's only playing.)

He's eating well, sleeping well, using his litterbox faithfully. Truly amazing. I'll post some new photos soon - been a bit busy. He's growing like a leaf!

Thomma Lyn
10-21-2006, 04:24 AM
He's eating well, sleeping well, using his litterbox faithfully. Truly amazing. I'll post some new photos soon - been a bit busy. He's growing like a leaf!

I only stumbled on this thread yesterday, but little Lucky sounds like a joy. This world needs more people like you. I'm looking forward to more pictures -- count me as a proud member of sweet little Lucky's fan club. :)

Soccer Mom
10-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Yes, please. More Lucky pictures. :)

eldragon
10-23-2006, 06:16 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/luckyinaboxofjunk.jpg

I took this one this weekend.

Lucky is a climber. He loves to sit on top of a chair in the living room, for instance.

He has very sharp claws and is very likely to hurt me soon. He's a swiper!

Besides being a swiper, he's a real sweetheart.

alleycat
10-23-2006, 06:18 PM
I see a new avatar in my future.

;-)

MidnightMuse
10-23-2006, 07:01 PM
Awww, look at that little guy ! He's getting cuter and cuter with every photo!!

See (no pun intended) blind cats are amazing. You soon forget they can't see :)

awatkins
10-23-2006, 07:22 PM
He looks great, Pam! And so healthy, too. What are his favorite toys so far?

alleycat
10-23-2006, 07:28 PM
Hey, look, Anne. I have a bird avatar!

awatkins
10-23-2006, 07:46 PM
Woohoo! I knew I'd convert you. At least until after baseball season. :D

Thomma Lyn
10-23-2006, 09:18 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g260/eldragon_2006/luckyinaboxofjunk.jpg

Oh, he's just purr-ecious. Give him a kiss on his fuzzy little head from me. :) :e2cat:

Dollywagon
10-23-2006, 09:57 PM
Awww... don't through him out with the garbage, Pam:cry:

eldragon
10-23-2006, 10:10 PM
He looks great, Pam! And so healthy, too. What are his favorite toys so far?

My husbands electric razor. It has a springy cord that plugs in and when it falls on the floor - Lucky can swing it around for four or five minutes before anyone notices!

I bought him some tiny cat balls, but he can't keep up with them without seeing where they go.

Otherwise, he bats at everything like a sighted kitten. He attacks people's feet - socks - shoes, etc., just like a regular cat.

Kate Thornton
10-24-2006, 12:20 AM
Man, he's a cutie! And he's healed up so well - look at his cute little face!

alleycat
10-24-2006, 12:25 AM
He just needs some Ray Charles sunglasses.

;-)

Ol' Fashioned Girl
10-24-2006, 12:26 AM
What a devilish little angel! He looks WONDERFUL, Pam. A testament to your caring for him so well. I can't wait to show Ol' Boy the latest picture!

oarsman
10-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Happy Birthday Pam! :Cake:

Lucky's looking great! It's been about a month since you found him and it
amazing how much he has grown and healed. You've been a fantastic mother to him!

eldragon
10-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Thank you! Yes, I turn 43 today. It's not a milestone birthday so I'm not depressed or anything! (Of course, the day is young!)

MidnightMuse
10-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Today is your birthday???

Well heck - HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!:partyguy:

alleycat
10-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Happy Birthday.

One word . . . COCKTAILS!

;-)

AC

awatkins
10-24-2006, 07:41 PM
:Cake: :partyguy: :Cake:

Happy birthday, Pam! I hope it's awesome. :) :)

Lyra Jean
10-24-2006, 07:53 PM
Happy Birthday :partyguy:

Cath
10-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Happy Birthday - again.

Have you tried those toys that come with bells in them? - he should be able to follow those around ok.

alleycat
10-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Have you tried those toys that come with bells in them? - he should be able to follow those around ok.
MidnightMuse uses those when she wants to distract me.

I think she's about ready to use them now.

eldragon
10-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Happy Birthday - again.

No, but he does like to chase living things around - (like me, for instance.)

He's not having trouble finding things to play with!

Thomma Lyn
10-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Happy Birthday! :) :D :partyguy: :Sun:

Soccer Mom
10-25-2006, 12:33 AM
Boy he has turned out so CUTE! You've done such a great job with him. I lectured my ungrateful little heathens on how lucky they were. They could have been blinded by neglect. They just yawned and rolled over in their patches of sunlight.

Seriously, Lucky won't ever remember the hard times. He will grow up just as secure as any other cat. I don't think my tailess dog remembers the trauma of his mangling.

MidnightMuse
10-25-2006, 12:42 AM
MidnightMuse uses those when she wants to distract me.

I think she's about ready to use them now.

It works every time :D

alleycat
10-25-2006, 02:11 AM
Shiny ball??

Nancy
10-26-2006, 10:04 PM
:partyguy: Happy Birthday, Pam!!

Lucky looks great!

Nancy

Kate Thornton
10-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Happt Birthday! What a nice little present Lucky is!

Soccer Mom
10-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Needing a Lucky fix. More pics and updates when you get the time, please. :)

Lyra Jean
10-27-2006, 06:46 PM
Happy Birthday.

One word . . . COCKTAILS!

;-)

AC

Everytime I see this I think it says cockatiels. :)