I found a blind kitten that had been dumped...

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
This evening when my husband and I were walking our dogs, I looked over a bridge and saw something furry down there. At first I thought it was a rat, but then it started screaming and I knew it was a kitten.

My husband scaled the steep bank to get to it before it fell into deeper water that was around it on all sides. When he got it he saw that it is blind. One socket does not have an eyeball, and the other is seriously enlarged - or swollen.

There was a box laying nearby - so obviously some less than human SOB dropped the disfigured kitten over the side of the bridge to try to kill it.

I think the kitten is about 3 or 4 weeks old. We got some kitten replacement formula and a bottle and it is eating well, and trying to bathe itself.

I'm keeping it in a carrier for the rest of the weekend because I don't know if it has anything infectious that my other cats might get.

My vet is closed until Monday - why do these things always happen on a weekend?

The kitten is sleeping peacefully now. How can people be so cruel?

Has anyone ever had a blind cat before?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
That is sad. I have not had a blind cat, only a one-eyed one. But I am sure they get by fine in familar areas. Please let us know how he or she is doing!

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Out of respect for those who will read this post I won´t say what I think of the individual who has done this. I once found a mastiff puppy, I suspect the runt of the litter, about 4 weeks old abandoned in a park. Same thing, weekend, night, no vet nearby open. We went to a 24 hour place and they had no space. We took care of the little fella for about 2 days. If we didn´t live in a flat, I think we would have kept him he was so cute.

I just want to say thank you to you and your husband for caring.

I´ve never had a blind cat, here´s a link which may be of interest:

http://www.messybeast.com/disabled.htm

As veinglory said, keep us informed.

All the best,
newmod

Quill

Registered
Reaction score
Awwww...

Something in me just cracks open when I think of whatever jerk would have left a poor kitten like that... and I too will refrain from describing what I think of someone like that.

What I WOULD like to say, first off, is thank you both for being so kind to the baby. Kittens need extra care even if they ARE fully-abled. Secondly, though, blind cats get along fine once they get used to a certain area. It could be that yours might have some sight in the remaining injured eye, even. Only time'll tell. An aunt of mine has a cat that's just about totally blind. He adapted wonderfully. As long as his "belongings" are kept in the same places, he knows where they are.

:) Good luck with the new fuzzy buddy.

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Auuughh! I hate it when people do that. How can they be so heartless?

What did that poor, little, innocent kitty ever do to them? I'm with Quill, thank you for saving the poor little thing. There is an abandoned house next door (two story) and it had so many cats there. Once I noticed a kitten with infected eyes. One was huge. I got a cloth and was just going to wipe away the mucousy part but the whole thing gushed out. I hurried to a vet and he said it was not my fault, but that the eye was so bad, just touching it made it burst. She gave me medicine and of course, I kept the kitten. He was our one-eyed pirate cat and so sweet. We didn't let him out much because of his eyesight (partially blind in the other eye) but he too, adapted well to his surrounding.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Aww. poor kitty. That's so kind to take care of it. We need more people like you. We found a kitty in our tractor. It had to be 3 or 4 weeks old.

Now he's a 20 lb behemoth but it's all muscle. You wouldn't believe how tiny he was when we first found him.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine had a completely blind cat. This one was originally sighted though, so it would probably have an advantage over yours.

It's eyes had to be completely removed due to problems, which although I hate to mention it, may happen to your little kitty.

The cat survived many years and was eventually put down due to old age.

It stayed mainly indoors, but living on a farm this was never guaranteed, and he could jump up onto worktops and figure out which window was open to get out.

Remember that animals don't sit around feeling sorry for themselves like we do. They have no way of measuring their disability against the rest of the feline fraternity. Once the pain and discomfort is out of the way, they will just get on with adapting to whatever the problem is.

Good luck with it all!

Just had another thought - Depending on the severity of the problem with the remaining eye, you could try bathing with warm milk. It tends to reduce pain and infection. But I'm not a vet, so you should really speak to one first just to get confirmation that it's OK in this particular case.

Last edited:

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I got little sleep last night. I fed the kitten at 11, 1 and 4. In between feedings, I lay there in a fog.

I can't wait for the vet to open tomorrow so I can get some answers. I'm wondering if the kitten was born like this or if it was hurt yesterday - before or after being thrown over the bridge.

It scratches it's eyes quite a bit. Washing them with a warm wet cloth didn't seem to help much and since once socket is apparently empty - I'm reluctant to be aggressive around there.

Also - it hasn't gone to the bathroom yet. I know mother cats lick their babies and they go - and I tried to "motivate" this area with a wet cloth, but had no results.

Besides holding her and feeding her and waiting for the vet to open, I'm not sure what else I can do for it.

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Thanks Sheryl.

We already have 11 cats and we'll keep this one, too, if we can get her to make it til tomorrow when the vet opens.

She's doing fine, really. She's sleeping on my daughter's lap right now.

She just likes to be held.

I don't think I'll soon forget the site of her down in that creek bed - crying. I can't believe she lived through that fall.

I am thinking about making a sign to hang on the bridge - in case the SOB who dumped her drives by again.

What might it say?

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Actually she's really cute except for her face. My daughter says it's kind of like the Phantom of the Opera.

I was thinking more along the lines of the elephant man.

Andre_Laurent

Registered
Reaction score
eldragon said:
I got little sleep last night. I fed the kitten at 11, 1 and 4. In between feedings, I lay there in a fog.

I can't wait for the vet to open tomorrow so I can get some answers. I'm wondering if the kitten was born like this or if it was hurt yesterday - before or after being thrown over the bridge.

It scratches it's eyes quite a bit. Washing them with a warm wet cloth didn't seem to help much and since once socket is apparently empty - I'm reluctant to be aggressive around there.

Also - it hasn't gone to the bathroom yet. I know mother cats lick their babies and they go - and I tried to "motivate" this area with a wet cloth, but had no results.

Besides holding her and feeding her and waiting for the vet to open, I'm not sure what else I can do for it.
You have to keep doing the "motivate" thing with a warm wet cloth... I've not done this, mind you, but we have cats and I have read about this procedure.

I have never had a blind cat but I have a blind horse. He lost his vision over the summer and he is adjusting fine. I'm sure the kitten would adjust as well. Be sure to keep the little tyke warm... I'm sure you know that, I just had to say it.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Use damp cotton wool. Hold her on her back in one hand and stoke her bits with the cotton wool.

I wouldn't use water for her eyes. Unless it actually eases the pain it will probably irritate her more. You could try a bit of milk on some cotton wool as well for her eyes, if it eases them then you will soon know.

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
I have a cat that lost his hearing after a simple operation during the summer. He's 15 years old, so it has taken him some time to adjust. He is adjusting though. His balance was affected and he initially used the walls of the house to navigate. (Someone on another thread mentioned her cat was blind...the cat used the walls to navigate too). I've also noticed he sits in areas of the house where he can see the entire room. It prevents us or our other animals from surprising him. I think your kitten will adjust too.

I wish the best for your kitty!!

animal0067.gif
cat.gif
You are a great friend to cats everywhere!!!! :e2cat:
animal0032.gif

eldragon

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Thanks everyone.

This whole thing is making me depressed.

What's wrong with people? Who throws a tiny kitten off of a bridge?

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
I did a google search and found this news article of another case where someone threw a kitten off a bridge. The humane society was calling the kitten "Bridges" and someone has adopted her. I can believe that I found another case of this happening. It's sad. :(

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's sadder that I am sitting here thinking, "Crikey, I've seen a lot worse stuff than that."

Made me realise that I've seen a heck of a lot. Perhaps too much. In fact, considering my reaction, definitely too much.

Try not to dwell on it, Pam. Not easy I know, but concentrate on the job in hand which is to make him better. He is happy at the moment and that's what counts.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
It's only coming up as a red cross on my screen, Pam.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can see the photo just fine.

CATastrophe

Registered
Reaction score
I summer at PetSmart and winter at the Vet's
How wonderful you and your husband were there at that moment to help the little dear. I'm sure Bast is pleased with your kindness. I can't say what I think about people who treat animals with so little regard. Nothing short of "eye for an eye" punishment would be fitting for cruelty like this.

Perhaps contacting the local media might make for a good local interest story. It could certainly rile a few folks.

I don't know what you'd put on the sign. That would require some thought and judicious word choices. If I think of anything, I'll let you know.

In the meantime, my heart is warmed knowing the little dear is with good caring people. May she recover well and enjoy her days with you.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Can't see the picture either, but I'll third with the thank yous.

I've never understood how anyone could do this to an animal (or a human come to that). I hope your kitty comes through it all just fine. Let us know how it gets on with the vet.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why some of us can't see it and others can, Pam.

I suppose all you can do for the moment is interpret it as something infectious and keep it separate from the other cats until the vet confirms otherwise.

Good luck, and may all your vet's bills be little ones!