Progress on Writing My First Novel

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, in spring of this year, I got an idea for a brand new story based on characters from another project, and so I started writing the first two sections of a short story. At the end of June, after school got out, I finally had time to work seriously on writing it.

There was one little problem though. The short story got longer and longer until it was a novella, and then I figured out that what I was writing wasn't really a novella. It was actually Part One of my novel.

By the end of the summer, I had 60,000 words written, and then school started. At the moment, the novel is 74,000 words and over 300 manuscript pages. I had a very productive summer this year, and even with school, if I keep up the writing at this pace, I should be able to finish it by the end of the year. I'm guessing I'll be able to write a lot during Christmas break.

So, this is the main reason why I haven't been posting as often lately (which also means I've been posting less in the Bewares board and in NEPAT). I've been busy writing the damn thing. I think it was a post by our dear beloved Haskins that prompted me to start writing seriously again, and I've started to see the story improve as the novel progresses.

Thanks to everyone at AW for motivating me to keep writing, offering advice, answering questions, etc. I appreciate it.

--Alan

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Alan - it's so good to hear from you. I know how good it feels to be making progress. Keep up the momentum and let us know how it's going from time to time.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
great news, Alan! Feels pretty awesome to so the light at the end of the novel writing tunnel, doesn't it? Good for you!

Alan Yee

Still Here!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Yes, it does feel awesome. I've never been able to write anything this long before. Hopefully I can finish it soon so I can get back to writing some much shorter stories.

I'll try to post more updates on this thread every week or two and let you all know how it's going (if I remember :)).

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
That's quite an impressive achievement, Alan! Keep up the great work!