Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm serious, though.

Some of us, I know, do indeed write about political topics. Either we blog, or write local columns, or in Robeiae's case, Hobbesian Manifesto economics books.

Let's have a discussion about what we'd like this space to be, shall we? Who is actually interested in writing as a venue of political expression, why, and how is that playing out in your writing life--outside professional message-board posting?

Talk to me, folks. This could, I believe, be an extremely vibrant and viable forum, and very clearly writing related.

You guys game to help build that?

Reaction score
MacAllister said:
Let's have a discussion about what we'd like this space to be, shall we? Who is actually interested in writing as a venue of political expression, why, and how is that playing out in your writing life--outside professional message-board posting?

Believe it or not, I've actually been "published"( I don't know if that's the right term) for a few political articles I've written. Major exposure and so forth.

So, I'm very interested in the "political expression" avenue of writing.

And if I didn't love movies as much as I do, I'd probably try and make a career in the columnist world.

But I do love movies and screenwriting more than any recognition I may get for articles like "Nuke'em: Embrace Radiation, It Ain't As Bad As You Think."

So, I'm torn.

I'd just like to see people express their beliefs and opinions on every issue without malice and anger towards people who don't agree with them in this forum.

And a little humor is nice as well.

It's just planet earth and we're just people. For the love of god, don't take things so seriously.

If Aliens attacked we'd all be on the same side.

Don't forget that.

Thank you.

The Thrill

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
If Aliens attacked, I'd be passionately advocating working out a way to talk to them, to ascertain whether or not peaceful coexistence would be an option.

Of course, people who do that in the movies inevitably die badly, relatively early in the script.

Reaction score
Of course, people who do that in the movies inevitably die badly, relatively early in the script.
:ROFL:

Yep...

MAC
Let's talk to them. I doubt they came one zillion miles to be hostile.

MacAllister approaches the space vehicle, gets zapped and vanishes into thin air.

lol

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
It makes for a better action flick, that way--otherwise there's all those pages of talking heads, and boring soliloquies..

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
MacAllister said:

I have considered pursuing publication as a political essayist, but, aside from blogging or expressing myself in an open forum such as this, I have neither the credentials as a journalist or the legitimacy of a former public servant to be welcomed into the fold by mainstream publications.

I guess I should probably go look before I ask :), but are there any publications that specialize in essays by us common folks, aside from "letters to the editor" columns?

Deleted member 42

SC yes, look at both academic journals, I'm serious there are a number that publish that kind of stuff, and literary journals.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
You might look into doing a local column in a small paper, SC--or even an html email column, like Eraser does. There are all sorts of ways to get a foot in the door, if this is where your interests lie.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
It did, indeed. :) It might even morph a few more times, depending on popular opinion and my ocd whims.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Would some please explain to me what a professional message board poster is?

MacAllister said:

In my opinion, a professional message board poster is someone who makes their living posting on chat boards/forums. That means someone is paying them to do the posting. This means they are being paid to promote the views of their employer. Isn't that a form of spamming?

As to the original question, I do not have a desire to write about politics or religion, except in fiction form.

That said, some of our members who write in this thread should be taking their talents outside of this forum, because they are gifted and express themselves so beautifully. I may not agree with what they say, but I cannot ignore their style and voice as gifted writers.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
MacAllister said:
If Aliens attacked, I'd be passionately advocating working out a way to talk to them, to ascertain whether or not peaceful coexistence would be an option.

That would be me, too, I'm afraid -- couldn't help myself.

I won’t have time for a week or so to ponder this new forum, but I like the idea. I also like the idea of trying to cut back all of the bandwidth-hogging pictures. Most of them were not worth a thousand words to me anyway, and words are supposed to be what happens here.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'll be deleting stuff like that, with extreme prejudice, Chris. :)

I do hope you'll stick around and contribute. I've missed your sane and gentle voice.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
brianm said:
Would some please explain to me what a professional message board poster is?

i never reached the level of a professional message board poster, but i can say for certain that ppl who follow this trade (and there are a few right here in AW) love what they do and do it for the passion and excitement.

not for the money.

In my opinion, a professional message board poster is someone who makes their living posting on chat boards/forums. That means someone is paying them to do the posting. This means they are being paid to promote the views of their employer. Isn't that a form of spamming?

for shame!

how rude!

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
Bravo said:
i
for shame!

how rude!

Why for shame and rude?

Here's a definition of professional from Websters...

"participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor"

You say they do it for the love of it, not the money. So what you are saying is... if the professional message board poster posted views contrary to their employer's views... the employer would continue to pay them?

I don't want to go off topic anymore. But, you didn't explain what a professional message board poster is.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Naw.

Brian--some of our more, emmm, enthusiastic participants have sort of arbitrarily dubbed themselves "professional message-board posters."

I imagine it makes it easier to explain why they're on AW ten or twelve hours at a time...

It's really not much more than an inside joke. There are places that pay writers to go out and post on message boards, though, with various agendas.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
That was not my intent. I merely wanted someone to explain if a professional message board poster is paid (my belief) or is it just a title?

In my original posting... I did answer the OP's question to keep this thread on topic.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you MacAllister. That was all I was looking for... a simple explanation.

MacAllister said:
Naw.

Brian--some of our more, emmm, enthusiastic participants have sort of arbitrarily dubbed themselves "professional message-board posters."

I imagine it makes it easier to explain why they're on AW ten or twelve hours at a time...

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
MacAllister said:
Might it be the Twinkie defense? Simply can't get out of the chair...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.