• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Outwitting Writers Block

• Thread starter MissKathyClarke
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

MissKathyClarke

My tactic is looking at beautiful landscapes. Usually with water in them. I actually have a picture above my chair in my room. My... "thinking chair" (i hate to quote that kid show... Blues Clues). ;) I also have a stack of those types of pictures on my desk where I write my stories (right next to the chair) Usually this makes me think of a story (related or not related to the picutre). I think it's because water helps me be calm and relaxed and that helps my thought process. I assume that this is different for everyone. Do something relaxing (taking a bath, reading a book, playing with your pet, taking a walk, listening to calming music, etc.) Sometimes when I have no idea what to write, I look at clipart. Real photos though, I don't like the drawings as much. I look at them and sometimes base an entire story on one of them. I think that's because I'm a nature lover, but it still might work for you ;)
Hope I helped!

Katie

toto1958

I wrote this for screenwriters. im putting a copy of it here.

I'm not a writer of any kind. But I do know when to concentrate on something and when not too regarding creativity.

If you concentrate on something it too long it will cause you'r mind to bog down and even stop in the creative juices of any project you are doing. It's like a light bulb, if you leave that light bulb on tool long it will burn out. The human mind is not suppose to function with it concentrating on something too much. Writers block can happen because of going at something to much. The mind is saying to you that your going at this too much, stop, back off.

The whole key to being creative is to have variety. To never allow your mind to concentrate on something too long or too short.If it's too long then it will burn out, if it's too short you forget key things and minute things which are crucial. You'll wind up losing either way.

The backbone to the key of being creative has to do with a process called "turn on/shut down". This means that no matter what you're working on, you have to walk away from it and get your mind to completely and absolutely forget everything and anything that you've been working on. Not just absolutely forget what you're working on but to forget for a period of time.

The reason why the mind must absolutely and completely forget what you're working on and for a period of time is because the mind is going through a process that you're absolutely unaware of. What it's doing is digesting and analyzing everything that you have done. You can't feel or tell that this is going on because its doing this on the subconscious level.This process that the mind goes through of digesting and analyzing what you have done is actually the back bone of being creative, with out it you can't be creative.

When you eat food, you're body has to be able to digest the food. When you're being creative, which is the equivalent of eating food, your mind has to be able to digest it just like your body has to digest the food that you just ate. you're mind actually does this naturally every time your not thinking of something and aren't thinking of, irrelevant to what it is. Its not just restricted to creativity.

When the mind is digesting what ever its digesting that you have created and don't have your mind on or any thought on, at the same time its analyzing it. When you eat food and you're body is digesting it,its also at the same time analyzing it. What kind of food, are there any poisons that came with the food,how heavy is the food Your body can digest and analyze your food with out you having a thought about it. But with creativity you have to get your mind off of what your creating so that your mind can digest and analyze it.

When your mind is analyzing what your creating, it will do one of three things. It will either 1) find something wrong 2) add creativity to what your doing, such as a "good idea" 3) both number 1 & 2. When you come back to being creative one of those three things will be waiting for you in your mind when you go back to concentrate on being creative. If any of those three things are'nt there then your mind has'nt digested it or has'nt completely digested it.

The amount of time to allow your mind to digest anything your creating is variant. Some times it takes a long time or a short time, some times it does it instantly but this is rare. Its just like when you eat food. If you eat certain kinds of food it will take your system a long time to digest it, with other foods its real quick. It depends on what your eating. The same holds true with being creative, it depends on what your doing. The more complex something is the longer it's going to take for the mind to digest it and Analise it.

The human mind is not a machine where it is suppose to pump out one good thing after another. This is total fantasy and absolutely impossible. There is actually a process the mind must go through in order to be creative. If you violate this process it can create writers block and creativity block.

When creating, irrelevant to whether its screenwriting, painting, or any other form of creativity the human mind must go through this process.

As far as being a screenwriter its actually best to have 3 or 4 screen plays one's creating at one time. Thus causing the screenwriters to go from one screen play to another. This will help prevent the screen writer to get bogged down in any one script. When I work on abstract paintings I do, I always work on 3 or 4 paintings at a time. I never ever concentrate on just one painting. Even masters who are the elite of the painting world have at least 2 paintings at any one time they are working on. you'll never see an artist working on just one thing, it will never happen.

When ever a screenwriter is working on 3 to 4 screen plays not just do they need to get their mind off of what they are doing with anyone script but must also get their mind off of screen writing all together. They must many times totally forget everything about screen writing and everything they are doing in screen writing.

The whole key of creativity revolves around what one is concentrating, how long they are concentrating on anything, how deeply they are concentrating on any one thing and how long the absolutely forget what ever they were doing

good luck (wink)

Betty W01

good advice, Toto, albeit a bit incoherent in places, but do read Jenna's book, too. Well worth the time you'll spend.

And again, sport, use spellcheck and watch those pesky apostrophes... you don't ever need one in the word "your" even though it is possessive. You do when it's a contraction, though -

Like so:

"This is your story." [the story belongs to you - no apostrophe.]

"You're using that apostrophe incorrectly." [You are, written as a contraction, leaving out the letter "A".]

See?

toto1958

I did use spell check, when I ran it through the second time it didnt have any words to correct.:shrug

I just ran it through a third time, nothing.:shrug

Betty W01

so, what you're saying is, what we have here is a failure to spellcheck?? :rollin

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

teresa20

Re: annyoing writer block

I can't it not because I can't contrate or don't want to write. I love writing. but sometimes ideas just leave my head. I wish I can stop it. but it's impossible. than sometimes I have like seven diffrent ones at once. knowing I can only write one. I don't what writer block is but I hate it:bang

Nateskate

Re: One of the things I'll do is

I'll take a character in the book, and give them a secret. I'll take a bad guy, and look for a way to make them sympathetic and complex, so that you'd begin to understand them.

Or, I'll take one of the sympathetic characters and give them a dark side.

This adds a completely new stream of information to the story and also can bring in other characters. In a sense, it's like finding something redeeming in Darth Vadar, but you still have the emperor to be the really bad guy.

He's not just the worst guy in the Universe, he's your father Luke!

rhymegirl

Check your checkers

I was just reading the exchange between Toto and Betty, long after they wrote their posts I see, but anyways....

The reason Spell Check wouldn't catch the problem of your and you're is because it's not a spelling error. It's a grammar error. Spell Check is only going to let you know that a word is misspelled, not that it is used incorrectly. Spell Check would see "your" as correct and "you're" as correct.

RichMar

Checkers

Yeah, but I donut think their is mulch of a chance of sum thing like that oak erring.

Jamesaritchie

Re: Checkers

I think it's easier to just follow the route the vast majority of successful writers follow. Sit your rear end down in the writing chair at the same time each day and everyday and write.

Writer's block only exists if you believe it exists and give in to it. Those who suffer from writer's block are almost inevitably those those find reasons not to sit down and write each day, everyday, no matter what.

rhymegirl

No more Writer's Block

Yes, I agree with what James said.

I used to procrastinate about writing. There was always an excuse. But now I have been writing every day. I made a deal with myself that I must write SOMETHING every day, even if it's just an email to a friend. (I tend to write very lengthy emails)

You lose the flow of words when you stop using them.

Thekherham

Re: No more Writer's Block

I've finally doing some writing again because I've made that one of my New Years Resolutions. I don't usually do NYR's, but I thought since I'm the world's greatest procrastinator, let's see if this work. So far, 22 days into the year, it's worked pretty good.
Let's see if I can keep this up for 343 more days.

1walkingadverb

My solution to outwitting writer's block is not to lend credibility to the term. For me, writer's block doesn't exist. It's only an excuse I have made for not writing or fearing to write. Rather, I think of myself as always writing. Thinking out loud, internal plotting or actual physical writing, is writing. Pure and simple.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Usually when I have writer's block I turn to the research side, or drawing diagrams of the houses etc. my characters will be in later on. Keeps me feeling productive.

But HOORAY! I broke the writer's block last night! And all because I was feeling futile! I was at yet another soccer practice for the offspring (someone remind Webster's that "Soccer Mom" can be a pejorative term!) and knitting a sock. I realized that I was avoiding the sequel to the first novel because while I had the outline I didn't know how to write the new characters. I reread what I'd already written, made some severe edits, and then the pen just kept on writing...past the stuck passage and on into new characters and dramatic tension.

Wah-Hoo! (as Riders in the Sky say)

Lily

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
Sometimes I work on another story and let the "block" run in a background thread.

Other times, when I'm determined to not get blocked, I put on my Sadism hat and I start listing the worst possible things that could happen to the character as fast as I can -- just brainstorm it in a text file. When the ideas stop flowing, I look over the list and imagine how he would get out of each one, and decide which scenario would work best in the story. Then I make it happen.

Julian Black

Will Read Slush for Food.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianblack.blogspot.com
When I'm feeling blocked or bored, I come at the project from another angle. Maybe I'll draw pictures of characters and settings, or create maps and floor plans. Sometimes, instead of sitting at the keyboard, I write longhand. Taking the laptop or pen and paper to a coffeehouse or library in order to get out of the house and away from the usual routine helps, too.

I plot using 3x5 notecards, and sometimes when I'm really blocked I'll start writing on notecards, telling myself I have to fill 20 or 25 of them before I can stop. I only use one side, and it's a small space, so even with my small handwriting it doesn't take long to fill the allotted number. I might write snippets of dialogue, a description, an idea for a subplot, something about a character--it doesn't matter, just as long as it's something related to the project at hand. Usually by the time I've hit the tenth or twelfth card, I start to feel things move again, and once I've finished filling in the 20th or 25th card I'm ready to head back to the keyboard. I may not exactly be rarin' to go, but it feels less like facing a brick wall.

nikdun

Writers Block Does Not Exist...

...except in your mind.

It somehow resembles a block, internally. Who decided that?

What if you went around the block and looked on the other side.

What else would you see?

Certainly not the block anymore.

What if it's a big block?

Keep walking until you can see around it.

How?

Write.

Remove it's power and reclaim your own.

Stop giving away your power to something that doesn't exist.

Best wishes,

Nick Dunning
Head of Development
http://www.screenwriting-on-the-net.com/Post
Royal Academy Of Dramatic Art
Hollywood film Institute
New Producers Alliance

Kiva Wolfe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kivawolfe.net
Writer's Block...

Deny, deny, deny it exists. Make use of the down time to plot or write in your head, then sit down and write it.

Last edited:

RosalynGlas

Registered
Reaction score
I attended a workshop this past week on using the Tarot for spontaneous writing. Now, before you roll your eyes, this method is NOT just for New Agers, Druids and aery faery types (of which I am one ><). Whether you see the Tarot as a set of archetypes or just cool images on cards, since thinking and writing are all about connections, you can choose a card randomly, look at the card and ask whatever you want, and then find connections to what you seek in the picture.

You needn't even be familiar with the Tarot meanings at all, although that can add another layer of dimension, or provide a different method.

Now I realize that when I come upon a sticky plot point that I can't seem to "think" around, picking up a random Tarot card, or a sequence of cards (three can be ideal for knottier problems), I can get beyond the problem and get back to writing. Whether you simply use it as a spontaneous exercise for exploration or something directly related to your problem, it can be a huge help.

By the way, if you only know the Tarot as some mysterious tool for telling fortunes, you might be surprised to know that Tarot is a way to examine any situation at hand and to pull forth an analysis of any situation by connecting the images in your mind, aiding you in making better decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.