radio-related: what is review copy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
hi all,

i'm working on self-promo for my book and 2 radio stations have requested review copy. what is that? i have a press kit, but review copy?

*going to dig through all my s/p books for this term*

i learn something new everyday, doing this on my own!!!

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Do they mean "reader's copy"? A reader's copy is a paperbound copy, not a finished copy like you would get from a bookstore. It's an advance copy. :)

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
i would think they'd just say advanced copy or galley. argh. guess i'll have to ask!

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
A "review copy" is the same thing as a "reader copy" is the same thing as an "ARC." The cover is often either plain colored cardboard (if the cover art isn't completed yet), or has an "unimproved" cover (without embossing or foil on the type). There are usually words to the effect on the cover that say:

UNCORRECTED ADVANCE READING COPY--NOT FOR SALE

On the back is the back cover blub, and a list of "Marketing Bullets," prepared to notify the recipient of intended advertising of the title. The one on our August book says:

---MARKETING BULLETS---
*Extensive print advertising in romance publications
*Special paranormal romance website
*Major promotional efforts at regional romance conferences
*Publicity
*Promotional materials available
Publication Date: August 2006

For more information, contact:
XXX, Tor Publicity
Email Address, Phone, Fax

This allows the reviewer or, in your case, the radio personality, the opportunity to ask intelligent questions about the book, and possibly contact the publisher's publicist for more information BEFORE your interview.

Hope that helps! :)

acousticgroupie

Registered
Reaction score
well, i am self-publishing, so i'd be the publicist. i've seen advanced copies before, just wasn't sure of the term. thank you for all of the information:)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
In that case, I'd suggest sending the advance copy along with a Press Kit. This will definitely speed up the radio host's knowledge of the book. Here's a link to a step-by-step article I wrote on how to make one that will rival anything that a NY publisher's marketing team can do!

Good luck with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.