PDA

View Full Version : Basic Current Events notes and ground rules...

MacAllister
09-29-2006, 12:30 PM
You'll note this IS a moderated forum. I understand that these debates can become quite heated, but I'm not inclined to let folks bend the "Respect your fellow Board Member" rule too far, just because of that.

Keep it above the belt, write hard expressing your point with eloquence and clarity, and don't make your mod look like a mook to all the other mods, or they'll laugh at me in the mod locker room.

In return, I promise not to ban you for being clearly wrong, and vehement about it.

Please feel free to PM or email me with suggestions, ideas, comments, or to report a post that's over-the-line.

I'm not giving you my cell number, though.

billythrilly7th
09-29-2006, 12:55 PM
In return, I promise not to ban you for being clearly wrong, and vehement about it.

Thank you.

As much as I love Clary, it would be kind of boring if we were the only two people left.
:)

alleycat
09-29-2006, 03:19 PM
I can only wish you well moderating this forum, Mac.

Good luck.

MacAllister
09-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks, AC. I'm oddly fond of this bunch of rabble-rousers, so I'm feeling hopeful.

Shadow_Ferret
09-29-2006, 04:06 PM
Why was it determined that we needed a separate P&R section distinct from TIO?

MacAllister
09-29-2006, 04:10 PM
Jenna explains it, here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42436), Ferret.

Shadow_Ferret
09-29-2006, 04:11 PM
Jenna explains it, here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42436), Ferret.

Thanks. I guess I won't be posting here anymore if it doesn't count to my total. ;)

Bravo
09-29-2006, 05:08 PM
i feel a warp in the post-time continuum.

weird.

Haggis
09-29-2006, 05:10 PM
I guess you all drew straws and you lost, huh? Bummer, Mac. Good luck.

robeiae
09-29-2006, 05:19 PM
But I am a little taken aback that TIO was not considered a "writing" contribution. I mean, I thought it was all about debating, expression. . . . I didn't realize until lately that my dwelling here was considered something a long the line of - I don't know - usuary? It was not my intention.I agree completely.

Not to worry, BoP--if it's a resource to you, it is a resource. And I count it as a resource.

And tell the truth, Mac: the mod locker room smells like grapefruit, doesn't it?

rekirts
09-29-2006, 06:06 PM
I don't post much in TIO, but there are aspects of this part of the forum which I have found educational as a writer. I have learned a lot about writing humour from reading TIO threads. Seriously. And when I do post, I carefully consider what I'm saying and how I'm saying it, so it's a writing exerise in itself.

As for the other stuff like post count and such, meh, I don't pay attention to that anyway--as you can probably tell by looking at my post count. :tongue

Medievalist
09-29-2006, 07:00 PM
Guys

In case you didn't realize it, MacAllister volunteered to do this. She's insane of course, we know this, and already has waaayyyy to much to do, so Be Nice To Her. And, of course, be courteous to each other.

robeiae
09-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Piss off.

:D

dclary
09-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Thank you.

As much as I love Clary, it would be kind of boring if we were the only two people left.
:)

Zing!

We rock, Billy.

Soccer Mom
09-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Mac, you are both nicer and crazier than I realized!

English Dave
09-30-2006, 12:10 AM
If it weren't for B[s]illy and Clar[it]y I'd get no rep points.

Therefore despite the extra click required I'll make the effort to broach the wall and join the fray.

Well done Mac. With that name your watchword can only be FREEEEEDOOOOOOM!

JennaGlatzer
09-30-2006, 12:20 AM
I don't really understand points, so personally I wouldn't miss them, although they have served as a way to communicate.

Just a clarification: I didn't say anything about points, just posts. The posts made in TIO won't count toward the post count under your name.

dclary
09-30-2006, 12:23 AM
Which is a silly and arbitrary number anyway.

English Dave
09-30-2006, 12:39 AM
Which is a silly and arbitrary number anyway.

Although......3000 Deek? For that I'm sure you could foray into Office Party or ....maybe even.....Scriptwriting?

Alan Yee
09-30-2006, 04:16 AM
Mac, you do realize that you are now officially insane, don't you?

Good luck with the whole moderating Politics and Religion thing. I wish you well with it.

MacAllister
09-30-2006, 06:23 AM
Guys--here's the thing. I agree that debating inflammatory topics is worthwhile, important, and is a contribution to the board.

That's why we created a sub-forum for it. Now TIO can return to being the place OT flamewars go to burn out, from other rooms.

Dawno
10-02-2006, 02:48 AM
And tell the truth, Mac: the mod locker room smells like grapefruit, doesn't it?

Only on the weekends when Frank isn't storing his tackle box in his locker.

miles111
10-24-2006, 01:30 AM

So we're free then, to continue wearing blinders while mindlessly parroting the party line and insulting the other side?

Just joking. I don't have to suffer that anymore since discovering the bliss of the Ignore List.

Best of luck with your new duties, Mac.

dclary
10-24-2006, 01:41 AM
So we're free then, to continue wearing blinders while mindlessly parroting the party line and insulting the other side?

Ah, a Democrat graces our forum...

;)

MacAllister
11-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Folks, this forum is dangerously close to becoming downright uncivil and nasty in tone. That must stop, or I will start heavy-handedly censoring the right AND the left for general rudeness.

We're all grown ups. We certainly can exercise enough self-restraint to tone down the over-the-top snideness.

I wanted to make sure everyone had a chance to see this warning.

dclary
11-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Thank you for the reminder, Mac.

English Dave
11-21-2006, 01:07 AM
Thank you for the reminder, Mac.

Fvck off Clary you Possum's rectum.

dclary
11-21-2006, 01:09 AM
Uh, that's gopher's rectum to you!

English Dave
11-21-2006, 01:12 AM
Uh, that's gopher's rectum to you!

Are you calling my gay?

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bravo
11-21-2006, 05:07 AM
i gotta say, at least things are pretty lively in here again.

much of it, in a good way, too.

SpookyWriter
11-21-2006, 05:21 AM
Oh you boys are in so much shitz when Mac sobers up.

Bravo
11-21-2006, 05:28 AM
i gotta say, at least things are pretty lively in here again.

much of it, in a good way, too.

that was my feeble attempt to make sure no1 gets banned.

:eek:

billythrilly7th
12-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Excellent work, mod who moved threads to proper place.

I'm very RainMan'ish when it comes to things being done the right way and routines and patterns.

I see an Iraq thread in TIO and I start freaking out...

http://new.wavlist.com/movies/208/rm-bed.wav

...and hitting my head and screaming.

So, thank you.

dclary
12-02-2006, 10:02 AM
Hey Mac, you want for me to mod this forum for you? I'd be happy to! :D

MacAllister
12-02-2006, 02:36 PM
*headsmack*

You guys are like the AW Bad News Bears. I'm going to be sorely disappointed if you don't all go on to be really great.

Jean Marie
12-03-2006, 09:16 PM
you have to be potty trained for that job ;)

Mac, can you please change the "control panel" thing that shows up when you want to click on this forum? Instead of scrolling back up to the top of the page. Thank you :)

Btw, I really like the change at the bottom of the page--the Google bar :D the other thing didn't look right.

MacAllister
12-03-2006, 10:40 PM
What "control panel" thing? I'm gonna have to log out and look at the forum without my super-powers, I think. I always get here by clicking "new posts"

SpookyWriter
12-03-2006, 10:52 PM
I think Jean mean the Forum Jump option takes you to the User Control Panel instead of T.o.P.

Unique
12-03-2006, 11:45 PM
yeah, it can be annoying...but you can obsessively check your rep points that way - you know, by accident - sort of. :D

SpookyWriter
12-03-2006, 11:51 PM
yeah, it can be annoying...but you can obsessively check your rep points that way - you know, by accident - sort of. :DUnless you have a 9600 baud die up connect which is really annoying.

Unique
12-04-2006, 12:28 AM
cheapskate

dclary
12-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Unless you have a 9600 baud die up connect which is really annoying.

I hate "die up."

SpookyWriter
12-04-2006, 02:17 AM
I hate "die up."Sucks when it takes you twenty minutes to respond to a funny thread. By then it's too late, most of the time.

Jongfan
12-04-2006, 05:31 AM

That would be like having the child mind the candy store

:Shrug:

dclary
12-06-2006, 12:54 AM
Come on. I'd be better at modding than Bush was at presidenting, right?

Jongfan
12-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Absolutely much better.

Instead of aiming to be a mod for this thread, maybe you should consider campaigning for the next presidential election. We could have buttons made up for you. Maybe charge each member at AW and have the funds go directly to your account.

dclary
12-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Billy and I already have that all planned. But we think the presidential campaign will go better if we can show successful leadership on a smaller level, like a messageboard forum.

Jongfan
12-06-2006, 01:15 AM
How's that working out for ya?

dclary
12-06-2006, 01:26 AM
Like the man who fell off the ten story building.

At each floor, folks heard him say "So far, so good."

Jongfan
12-06-2006, 01:30 AM
Well may your campaign not meet the same abrupt ending as the lad on falling from the building.

robeiae
12-09-2006, 10:39 PM
Suggested rules for Political Discourse on AW:

1) Respect your fellow writer. No name-calling, no referencing things like ethnicity, gender, religion, etc. of another member as a means of insulting them, whether directly or indirectly.

2) All proffered ideas are subject to attack and ridicule, but such should only be done by presenting contrary ideas or evidence to back up the attack and/or ridicule.

NOT OKAY
Fred--As is well known, communism is the only system capable of producing a society of equals.
Barney--Ass. That's just stupid.

OKAY
Fred--As is well known, capitalism is the only means of securing freedom and equality for all people in a society.
Barney--What about all those people who aren't treated equally? And does this mean we should just do away with all safety nets for the poor? Even free-market economists admit that there will always be some measure of unemployment. And when you say "as is well known," well known by who, exactly? The people of Sweden seem pretty free, but theirs is hardly a fully capitalistic society. You're going to need to actual facts or better analysis, here.

3) Avoid referring to other posters en masse whenever possible.

NOT OKAY
CMary--We should invade France, just to make a point.
Edgar--CMary and MillyVilly, that's just crazy. Invade France? What's wrong with you guys? All of you are just Neocon scum.
MillyVilly--But I didn't say anything...

4) Avoid trying to dismiss other opinions with only a word, despite the temptation to do so. Otherwise, avoid responding, unless the joke is really, really good.

NOT OKAY
InsaneClown--The U.S. Government blew up the WTC's. Look at all this evidence: (mountain of links)
Barney--Pffft.

OKAY
InsaneClown--The U.S. Government blew up the WTC's. Look at all this evidence: (mountain of links)
Barney (puts InsaneClown on ignore)--Anybody see Survivor last night?

5) If you make obvious fallacies in your arguments, expect to be treated harshly and learn from it.

6) Try to differentiate fact from opinion in your posts if it's not clear.

NOT OKAY
Fred--The UN stinks on ice. They have misspent or stolen 75% of all funds they have ever received.

BETTER
Fred--I think the UN stinks on ice. Here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/It's not a real link) is a report that suggests 75% of all UN funds go to corruption or waste every year.

7) Since it is unlikely that anyone here will be swayed to a new outlook on life through these exchanges, avoid repetition whenever possible. And continue on threads that address the same topic you want to discuss, rather than starting a new thread. New threads on a topic still in play tend to draw the same crowd and the same essential posts, or else they draw snarky comments.

8) Always try to hit through the ball...

MacAllister
12-10-2006, 12:03 AM
That's an excellent set of guidelines, Rob. Thanks!

Perks
12-10-2006, 12:30 AM
There's nothing really wrong with any of your points, Rob, as they are all reasonable guidelines for self-policing. I think the external enforcing of them is where it risks sacrificing real discussion for recess in a semantic and philosophical playground.

"Respect your fellow writer," evenhandedly applied, should give everybody enough elbow room. Beyond that, those who swing low or vapidly will soon show themselves for what they are. You can't legislate wit and smarts. You of all people should know this.

MacAllister
12-20-2006, 02:53 PM
My intention in turning off the bad words censor was never to make profanity fair game. Actually, quite the opposite: My intention was to confront people gaming the system and throw the onus of responsibility for that language back into their own laps.

When and if you choose to curse, please consider your words and choose them deliberately and with great care. Excruciating care, in fact. I'm not singling anyone out, btw--there are several people to whom this applies.

This has been a public service announcement for a more language-aware tomorrow.

best,
M

robeiae
03-28-2007, 12:03 AM
LANGUAGE!

I realize we are all (or almost all) adults and that people should be able to express themselves in the way they want to express themselves. But come on...there's no need for all these "sentence enhancers," is there? I have in mind a couple of the four letter ones...

I think they tend to have an escalating effect, and some threads certainly don't need any help in that regard.

And note that I'm not demanding. And I'm not issuing any kind of ultimatum. Or drawing a line in the sand. I'm just asking. :)

MacAllister
04-20-2007, 12:20 PM
LANGUAGE!

I realize we are all (or almost all) adults and that people should be able to express themselves in the way they want to express themselves. But come on...there's no need for all these "sentence enhancers," is there? I have in mind a couple of the four letter ones...

I think they tend to have an escalating effect, and some threads certainly don't need any help in that regard.

And note that I'm not demanding. And I'm not issuing any kind of ultimatum. Or drawing a line in the sand. I'm just asking. :)

Frankly, I am on the verge of demanding and drawing lines in the sand.

I'd like to reiterate Robeiae's very reasonable observations. Fight fair, folks, and use the language best suitable for the ideas you're presenting. That might very occasionally include profanity. But you'll have to use it with extreme skill if you're going persuade the rest of us. (And god knows I curse a blue streak on occasion, myself. I nearly always regret it, though.)

When I turned off the profanity censor it was because I don't think writers should be afraid of words. I think we must use those words carefully and responsibly, though -- not like twelve year olds out from under adult supervision for the first time.

John Paton
01-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Teacher's Pet !!

;)

dpaterso
01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Teacher's Pet !!

;)
Wow, that's got to be the longest biting comeback delay ever. :)

-Derek

robeiae
04-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Teacher's Pet !!

;)
I know you are but what am I!

:P

Williebee
07-04-2008, 12:46 AM
If you rep somebody for something they wrote over a year ago, do they get the rep value in that day's rep dollars (RD's) or in today's RD values? I mean, with the recession and all.....

Dawno
07-04-2008, 12:50 AM
that's why I prefer reps from our European members - take advantage of that conversion rate! ;)