Is PublishAmerica A Cult? -I love this site!

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
cc

Last edited:

Monty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishedauthors.net
They are a Cult and I am a rebel about to bring them Down.

#1 Having an agent doesn't protect you from PA when your agent doesnt know a thing about the POD business side of publishing books.

#2 PA even fooled my agent however I admit I now have A better agent and because he has agreed to represent me he is sad my book Zorana's Quest is involved in such a nightmare.

#3 Just read PA message board it reminds me of the song master of puppets by Metalica. I would think Cult is way to kind a word for suckers that will not pay a author when he can prove he has sold over 50 copies of his book online through amazon.com and other online book sellers and the jerks claim I didn't sell a think for six months. Seems this board reccomends not even bothering to complain. ME lawyer is how I complain.

#4 call me luke skywalker or obi wan kenobi because PA your reign of terror is over.

Movie sprit one: The authors fight back.

Jo Scott said:
Poz writes about PublishAmerica like I would write about food in the kitchen! Anyone else got a site they want to share or have made?

Sample on why I like this site...

http://www.freewebs.com/pozkin/

Monty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishedauthors.net
Talent agent I used when I was an actor.

Her names Carla Lund I used her when I tried my hand at acting and was more successful there then as A book author so I thought I would try a new aproach but since I am still not signed up for her as of yet I can refuse the offer still.

? should I?

Sheryl Nantus said:
I'm almost afraid to ask - Monty, who's your *new* agent who's sending you to iUniverse?

Monty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishedauthors.net
Need a better agent?

Bingo there you are correct. Why I am still looking for a good agent seems there hard to find.
We all know good agents are hard to find.

brianm said:
I believe he mentioned in another thread it is Eaton Lit. Agency... who sent him to PA.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
Monty said:
Her names Carla Lund I used her when I tried my hand at acting and was more successful there then as A book author so I thought I would try a new aproach but since I am still not signed up for her as of yet I can refuse the offer still.

? should I?

Punctuation, please.

ByGrace

Registered
Reaction score
I am blatantly, fervently anti-PA. So please don't take my post wrong. I have a very close relative that was involved in a cult for 12 years and a writer friend who was involved with a cult most of her teens and early twenties. Although I understand the analogy of PA being a cult, I can't agree with it. Unless you yourself or someone close to you has actually been in a cult it is difficult to understand the mindset, how they were lured in, kept in, and what followed after they left. It is extremely difficult mentally and spiritually and can take years of counseling to recover.

PA is a business scam plain and simple. They are masters of manipulation through false advertising. They conceal what they really are and what they do from the hopeful writer. It doesn't take long for writers to discover what they have gotten themselves involved in...a sham business out to take their money.

Is PA a cult? I don't believe so, not based on what I know about cults. Is it a business scam? Absolutely. I once had a book published by them. I never had the desire to blindly follow Willem Meiners or Larry Clopper. I never wanted to leave my family and home and live with them, or recruit for them newbies. I never was convinced they were the one and only true publishing company to follow. I haven't needed therapy to get over getting out of my contracts with them.

I am angry though, that I was taken in by this fraudulent business.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Some folks call Amway a cult.

Regards,
Scott

Monty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishedauthors.net
Cara has only sold one book!

No I have not signed with her and most likely will not because after the PA burn writting is hard for me to do at best now. I write for the love of writting now not for the money there isnt any.

Jennifer Robins

paranormal interest
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferrobins.com
Monty,
It's good to see you here. I wondered what happend to you. I don't get here very often, but today I just thought I would take a peek to see what's going on with good old PA.
Hope you are doing well. I'm still writing. Even doing some scripts.

Jennifer Robins

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
SouthernWriter1978 said:
In college, I wrote my thesis on Jim Jones...so naturally I love the analogy.

Dammit, I just made a Jonestown comment in reference to PA on another thread. I feel unoriginal now. ;)

Poisoned Kool aid anyone? :tongue

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Well, I don't know about likening them to the Jim Jones deal, but I have always thought of the diehard members of PA as the "Stepford Scribes." I can see a glazed, idiotic look of denial on their faces, along with a smile that has stretched their faces to the breaking point. Kind of like automatons, walking around with limited knowledge, forever bumping into things. Of course, PA are the robot makers, winding them up and letting them loose in the community, where they meet other smilling, bobble-headed authors, who get sucked into the program. There IS programming going on there, though. No doubt.

Tri

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
triceretops said:
Well, I don't know about likening them to the Jim Jones deal, but I have always thought of the diehard members of PA as the "Stepford Scribes." I can see a glazed, idiotic look of denial on their faces, along with a smile that has stretched their faces to the breaking point. Kind of like automatons, walking around with limited knowledge, forever bumping into things. Of course, PA are the robot makers, winding them up and letting them loose in the community, where they meet other smilling, bobble-headed authors, who get sucked into the program. There IS programming going on there, though. No doubt.

Tri

That made me laugh out loud. Stepford scribes. :roll: