PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Liam Jackson

Birol
09-29-2006, 12:58 AM
Meet and greet our very own Liam Jackson, author of Offspring: The Call (http://www.liamjackson.com/) in AW's chat room on Friday, October 6th.

For those unfamiliar with Liam, he is a highly decorated twenty-year veteran of the U.S. criminal justice system, having served as a narcotics officer, tactical operator, Chief of Police and, most recently, in the field of WMD counter-measures and mitigation. He has been awarded the prestigious Silver Star for Bravery by the American Police Hall of Fame. He lives near Little Rock, Arkansas.

Offspring: The Call has been described by reviewers as an "adrenaline pumping storyline" and a "meticulously crafted chess game of supernatural suspense." It is Liam's debut novel.

Chat times are Friday, October 6th at:

6:00PM Pacific
7:00PM Mountain
8:00PM Central
9:00PM Eastern

and

1:00AM GMT on Saturday, October 7th

Liam Jackson
09-29-2006, 01:08 AM
RE: Reviews- And lets not forget "muddled tale in which bloody mayhem ensues." That one probably came from a family member who owes me money. Oh, well. Can't please 'em all, folks!

Looking forward to the event.
Thanks!

JennaGlatzer
09-29-2006, 01:17 AM
1 a.m. GMT? Darn. I put 2 a.m. in the newsletter (which should be in inboxes any minute now).

Here was the announcement I sent:

=====================
CHAT WITH DEBUT SCIENCE FICTION AUTHOR LIAM JACKSON!
=====================

I’ve talked about Liam in this newsletter before. Briefly, here’s the scoop: Liam was one of the first members of our forums years ago, and shortly after he joined, he nearly died of an infection following routine surgery. One of our members found out that his doctors had predicted he had weeks to live, and asked me if we could set up a private board for some trusted members to keep his spirits up. Heck of a way for all of us to get to know him, but that’s just what we did. When he was able to sit up long enough, he’d stop by and read our stupid jokes and well wishes, and it really seemed to make a difference to him. Coincidence or not, he made a miraculous recovery.

As he got better, he also got more serious about his writing. He joined up with several other Absolute Writers to form a critique group, and he became a serious student of the “Learn Writing with Uncle Jim” thread on our Novels board.

Now he’s one of our moderators, and as you can imagine, it was a cause for huge celebration when we found out that he had just signed a 3-book deal with Thomas Dunne Books (St. Martin’s Press). They’re making a very big deal of his first book, Offspring, which is being officially released next week. (Amazon already has it in stock.)

Of course, we’re not going to miss an opportunity to chat with a rising star, so we’ve asked Liam to be the guest of honor in our chat room next Friday, and I hope you’ll mark your calendar to be there.

Here’s the info:

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 6
9:00 p.m. Eastern
8:00 p.m. Central
7:00 p.m. Mountain
6:00 p.m. Pacific
2:00 a.m. GMT (which is Saturday, Oct. 7)

You can enter the chat room at http://www.starchat.net/chat/?chan=absolutewrite (http://www.starchat.net/chat/?chan=absolutewrite) if you have Java enabled. Or, if you use an IRC program, just connect to StarChat and visit the #AbsoluteWrite channel.

You do not need a password. Just enter whatever username you’d like and connect. If a window pops up with a safety warning, go ahead and accept it—it’s safe to join us!

You can just sit back and “listen,” or ask any questions you like. Wonder what it feels like to be a first-time author with a big book deal? Liam’s the guy to ask. Hope to see you there!

ChunkyC
09-29-2006, 02:52 AM
I'll be there with bells on. Don't miss it, folks!

Birol
09-29-2006, 03:27 AM
1 a.m. GMT? Darn. I put 2 a.m. in the newsletter (which should be in inboxes any minute now).

Oops. Yeah. In the Spring it is 2AM GMT, but apparently in the Fall it's 1AM GMT. It's one of those daylight savings time things, I guess. :)

JennaGlatzer
09-29-2006, 10:42 AM
I'll fix it in next week's newsletter. Darn that daylight savings!

MacAllister
09-29-2006, 10:49 AM
Drat! I'll be on a plane bound for Boston--but I'll be thinking of ya!

Liam Jackson
09-29-2006, 11:20 AM
What's in Boston, Mac? It better be good because Logan Airport is a bi-otch! Happy trails!

MacAllister
09-29-2006, 11:32 AM
It's where I fly into, bound for Martha's Vineyard and Viable Paradise--upon which I'll crash for the night and our own Good Word kindly offered to drive me to the ferry, the following morning.

icerose
09-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Congrats Liam, it was funny though, I saw a picture of your book cover outside of AW and I stopped and thought. "Where do I know that person from?"

Then I logged onto here and it struck me.

Congrats again!

Birol
10-06-2006, 04:18 PM
Just a reminder, this is tonight.

Liam Jackson
10-06-2006, 06:38 PM
Congrats Liam, it was funny though, I saw a picture of your book cover outside of AW and I stopped and thought. "Where do I know that person from?"

Then I logged onto here and it struck me.

Congrats again!

LOL... Thanks Ice. That made my day.

JennaGlatzer
10-07-2006, 03:41 AM
One hour and 19 minutes...

Do NOT let me get distracted and lose track of the time.

Pthom
10-07-2006, 04:47 AM
be there or be square!

(post time: 5:45 PM PDT)

I'd post it in other time zones, but that requires math.

Alan Yee
10-07-2006, 05:01 AM
Pssst... Jenna, IT IS TIME!

JennaGlatzer
10-07-2006, 05:16 AM
Annnnd I was late anyway. What a bum!

Okay, people, come on over! The fun has already started!

icerose
10-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Sorry I missed your Q&A Liam. I got a trojan last night that infected every single one of my writing files, including my jump drive. :(

I am still fixing it, but I hope it went well.

Birol
10-07-2006, 09:57 PM
I think it did, Icerose. Charlie should have the transcript up by tomorrow for everyone to read.

Dollywagon
10-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Ooh, Goody, cos I still can't get into that blasted chat room.

It's been the same ever since the, well y'no, the 'er ... BB episode.

Birol
10-07-2006, 10:03 PM
That's troubling. We're going to have to work on that. We don't want you missing out if you want to join in the fun.

icerose
10-07-2006, 10:33 PM
Thanks Birol,
That's good to know. I will be sure to check it out.
Sara

Medievalist
10-07-2006, 10:37 PM
Ooh, Goody, cos I still can't get into that blasted chat room.

It's been the same ever since the, well y'no, the 'er ... BB episode.

Dolly you need to open the Options or Preferences of your Web browser, and make sure that Java (which is not the same as Java script) is turned ON.

Once you turn it on, close the browser, and then try the chat room again.

You should see a dialog saying something about a "certificate," after a moment or two; if you do, indicate that you "Trust" the certificate, or that it is "OK," depending on the browser you use.

Dollywagon
10-07-2006, 10:37 PM
It's not as troubling now as it was back in the days when I was cast out, alone, into the wilderness.
People telling me to "come inside, welcome, welcome, welcome!" and then locking the piggin' door!

Actually, Birol, I think a few people couldn't get in. The clicky menu thing on the left hand side just don't click for me.

Bet I end up having to download something:rant:

Dollywagon
10-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Ah, I think we were posting at the same time.

Now, erm, if you could just point me in the direction of the lickle ole web browser thingy, I'll click as instructed.

Medievalist
10-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Can you tell me what Web browser you use Dolly? And I assume you are using Windows . . .

Dollywagon
10-08-2006, 11:50 AM
Yes, yes, I am using Windows. Mm, it's an XP thingy, I think.

Now, down to the web browser bit. What exactly do you mean by that?

I bet you're right glad you got in on this, aren't you?

I'm not embarrassed though, it's a PC, I don't know how the bluddy washing machine works either!

If you need any information on goats ... just ask:tongue

Birol
10-08-2006, 12:11 PM

When you want to visit AW, what program do you open?

Internet Explorer (designated by a blue e)
Mozzilla Firefox (an earth with a fox made of flame circling it)
Netscape (a circle with an N in it, I believe)
Or do you use something else?

Dollywagon
10-08-2006, 02:05 PM
Ha! I'm explorer.

You can judge my level of interest in PC's, can't you?

My brain just won't show any interest in it. I'm the same with angles. If there is a right angle, then why isn't there a left angle?? Huh, huh, go on, answer me that!

Liam Jackson
10-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Sorry I missed your Q&A Liam. I got a trojan last night that infected every single one of my writing files, including my jump drive. :(

I am still fixing it, but I hope it went well.

Sorry you couldn't make it, Ice. We had a good time. Were you able to fix the bug issue?

Liam Jackson
10-08-2006, 03:48 PM
Yes, yes, I am using Windows. Mm, it's an XP thingy, I think.

I bet you're right glad you got in on this, aren't you?

I'm not embarrassed though, it's a PC, I don't know how the bluddy washing machine works either!

If you need any information on goats ... just ask:tongue''

I figure as long as I can work the microwave and the television remote, I'm in business; ;)

TeddyG
10-08-2006, 03:50 PM
is there a copy of the discussion on AW?

Dollywagon
10-08-2006, 05:24 PM
You can work a remote???!!! I am impressed.

They are going to put a copy up somewhere soon, Teddy.

Medievalist
10-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Chunky has posted the transcript of the chat (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=848446#post848446) with Liam Jackson.

ChunkyC
10-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Dang, you're fast! I was just tweaking the line spacing, then coming over here to say I'd posted it!

icerose
10-08-2006, 08:29 PM
Sorry you couldn't make it, Ice. We had a good time. Were you able to fix the bug issue?

I was, thankfully the trojan had attached to my temporary files and when you burn to disc it sheds all temporary information, thus it shed the trojan. It gave me a good scare though!

I am headed over to read the transcripts. :D

ETA: I just read it, it looks like it was a fruitful discussion. I can't wait to read it.

ATP
10-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks very much, all - Liam, and the mods, and Chunky, for the arduous work in correcting and formatting the transcript. Irrespective of the equipment he has/had available, it nevertheless requires the patience of a saint.

In this chat, it seemed as though it was on the verge of 'going much deeper', but held back from doing so, for a reason I can't put my finger on.
But, a good read in any case.

Thanks again, all.