R.I.P. John M. Ford

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
I'm sorry to hear that. How Much for Just the Planet? was one of the best Star Trek novelisations I ever read. (He was also very good at Klingons). The Dragon Waiting was a very good historical vampire novel, too. I was impressed particularly that he had taken the trouble to get the legend of Llangorse Lake right - which is pretty obscure, outside the area. I live quite close to Llangorse (in Mid Wales).

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I've only read Dragon Waiting. I'd been meaning to read more any day now...

Shadow Ferret: He was too damn young, yes. But TNH's blog says he was ill for decades, though. Ill health will do it to any of us at any age.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Sad news, indeed. How Much For Just the Planet? is one of my favorite cheer-up books ever. Time to raise a glass in toast of someone whose work will be missed (or perhaps a cream pie will be more appropriate).

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
I just remembered - Shweta, you're not a Star Trek fan. Even so, I'd highly recommend How Much for Just the Planet? as a comic SF novel. I think a non-Trek fan should be able to follow the action. My "cream pie" comment refers to the last act.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
From Jane Yolen's journal:

Mike Ford did not expect to live very long. Those of us who loved him, hoped he would live forever. We were all confounded. Yes, he lived past his body’s sell-by date. Thank God for transplants. But he didn’t live long enough for all the books, poems, Dr. Mike shows, stories, ripostes, encyclopedic answers, charming re-histories, and solid friendships we wanted from him. How much poorer we all are for that.
http://www.janeyolen.com/journal.html

I didn't go to the Ask Doctor Mike panel at Minicon this year. Figured I could go another time. There will never, ever, ever, be another time. And I am an idiot.

TheIT

Registered
Reaction score
Shweta said:
I didn't go to the Ask Doctor Mike panel at Minicon this year. Figured I could go another time. There will never, ever, ever, be another time. And I am an idiot.

No, you're not an idiot. :: holds up Minds, etc. threads as evidence :: We all play "If only" games when something bad happens, but assuming that "there will be another time" is normal. No need to beat yourself up about the missed opportunity.

Hang in there. :Hug2:

RedWombat

Runs With Scissors
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ursulavernon.com
I was very bummed about this myself. Ford was a dyed-in-the-wool genius. His comments over at Making Light were priceless.