Barry Bonds article

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to title the thread "Go Away Barry"...but I thought it might sound like something that should not go in this forum.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2604558

I mentioned that I get most of my sports news from the radio and Internet. This ESPN article details Barry's intention to play next year. He's fewer than two dozen homeruns behind Hank Aaron.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss my question with the above article as the spring board for the question.

And the question is: If Barry Bonds catches Hank Aaron, is there any possible way it would be good for baseball? If so, how/why? If not, can it be bad for baseball?

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
I'm old enough to remember being caught up with Hank Aaron's chase of Babe Ruth. I was thrilled to watch and hear the call of home run #715. I was excited about and followed Mark McGwire's chase of Roger Maris' single-season mark.

In retrospect, I feel cheated by sharing McGwire's (and Sosa's) joy. I shrugged when Bonds got the single-season record. I think I'll clap my hands over my ears, close my eyes and rock and hum when/if Bonds chases down Aaron.

Didn't answer your questions, I know. But I think you can read between the lines.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Barry Bonds went from a sleek and extremely talented athlete to a mass of synthetic muscles that borders on parody. He's not much different from a boob job: looks bigger from the outside, but it's mostly enhanced by unnatural means on the inside.

If he breaks the home run record, it'll be met with a collective sigh. And if MLB doesn't greet the event with a huge asterisk next to his name denouncing steroid use, then it will be a shameful injustice to the fans and anyone who has ever played the game without drug-induced strength.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a mental asterisk there for me, whether they put one there or not. I'm hoping the reports about Clemons just aren't true, but the thought that they could be makes me very sad.

Modern baseball has become sadly tainted to me.