So how's that ad campaign working for you, Angelides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
After running a series of commercials that essentially say "Arnold likes Bush. Don't vote for him," the first major polls of the campaign have finally come out, and show the Governator has a double digit lead heading into October.

Angelides isn't even winning in a poll of people who've said they're going to vote for him: Asked why they're voting for him, less than a majority said they were supporting Angelides. The majority replied "We're just voting for whoever's opposing Arnold."

In other words... the democrats could have run a potted plant against Arnold and gotten the same polling numbers as Angelides.

This is going to be brutal, demmies.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
If Schwarzenegger keeps acting more like a Democrat than a Republican, it's not so bad, and it will set up a Garamendi landslide in 2010 quite nicely.

BottomlessCup

Getting settled
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
In other words... the democrats could have run a potted plant against Arnold and gotten the same polling numbers as Angelides.

Didn't Michael Moore actually do that with a Ficus tree? I think it would have won some New Jersey alderman race on a write-in, but they wouldn't certify the votes.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
What's the big news? This is hardly the first time a Democrat has run a crappy, ineffective and stupid campaign. I don't know squat about this Angelides guy, except that he's running against a celeb incumbent governor with a ton of money and an absolutely insurmountable lead in name recognition. Plus, Ahnold is hardly a doctrinaire right-winger among Repubs, and hasn't screwed anything up so badly that it's made tabloid news. He's going to win. I don't think the Democrats ever figured they'd win this election. They can work with Arnie. He's not going to propose to outlaw abortion or homosexuality, and fiscally, his options are pretty narrow. So what's the big deal? Other than the fact that conservatives here need to rah-rah for an unbeatable incumbent.

Likewise Lieberman. He'll probably win, and though I'm not happy with his Iraq war stance, on every other issue he's a mainstream Democrat. He'll vote that way, so that doesn't mean much, either, and doesn't change anything.

Let's talk about interesting races, like Allen vs. Webb for the Senate seat in Virginia. Proof that Repubs can run crappy, ineffective and stupid campaigns, too. Republicans ought to hold this seat with ease, given the voter demographics of the state. They still might, but they might not. It's not like James Webb is a scary sort of guy; he'll probably get a fair share of cross-over votes. I think he might win. (Editor's note: I believe Webb is the author of a major novel about the Vietnam war; wouldn't it be nice to see a novelist in the Senate?).

And how's ol' Rick Santorum doing in Pennsylvania these days?

caw.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
blacbird said:
What's the big news? This is hardly the first time a Democrat has run a crappy, ineffective and stupid campaign. I don't know squat about this Angelides guy, except that he's running against a celeb incumbent governor with a ton of money and an absolutely insurmountable lead in name recognition. Plus, Ahnold is hardly a doctrinaire right-winger among Repubs, and hasn't screwed anything up so badly that it's made tabloid news. He's going to win. I don't think the Democrats ever figured they'd win this election. They can work with Arnie. He's not going to propose to outlaw abortion or homosexuality, and fiscally, his options are pretty narrow. So what's the big deal? Other than the fact that conservatives here need to rah-rah for an unbeatable incumbent.

Likewise Lieberman. He'll probably win, and though I'm not happy with his Iraq war stance, on every other issue he's a mainstream Democrat. He'll vote that way, so that doesn't mean much, either, and doesn't change anything.

Let's talk about interesting races, like Allen vs. Webb for the Senate seat in Virginia. Proof that Repubs can run crappy, ineffective and stupid campaigns, too. Republicans ought to hold this seat with ease, given the voter demographics of the state. They still might, but they might not. It's not like James Webb is a scary sort of guy; he'll probably get a fair share of cross-over votes. I think he might win. (Editor's note: I believe Webb is the author of a major novel about the Vietnam war; wouldn't it be nice to see a novelist in the Senate?).

And how's ol' Rick Santorum doing in Pennsylvania these days?

caw.

The big news is that in January, Arnold had Bush-like polling numbers. An effective ad campaign + a craptastic campaign by the democrats -- in an OVERWHELMINGLY leftist state = republican victory.

Expect this pattern to repeat in '08 on a federal level.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
The big news is that in January, Arnold had Bush-like polling numbers. An effective ad campaign + a craptastic campaign by the democrats -- in an OVERWHELMINGLY leftist state = republican victory.

Expect this pattern to repeat in '08 on a federal level.

You're forgetting about the third part of the Schwarzenegger comeback - he stopped acting like a mean-spirited partisan Republican (i.e. the second coming of Pete Wilson), and started acting again like someone who wants to solve real problems.

Frankly, though, I'm voting for Angelides even though I'm pretty happy with the way Schwarzenegger has governed this year. I just don't trust him. He's been governor for three years now, and he's been a different guy each year, and I have no idea who he's going to be next year.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
clintl said:
You're forgetting about the third part of the Schwarzenegger comeback - he stopped acting like a mean-spirited partisan Republican (i.e. the second coming of Pete Wilson), and started acting again like someone who wants to solve real problems.

Frankly, though, I'm voting for Angelides even though I'm pretty happy with the way Schwarzenegger has governed this year. I just don't trust him. He's been governor for three years now, and he's been a different guy each year, and I have no idea who he's going to be next year.

And yet you KNOW who Angelides is going to be each year. And how much it's going to cost you and the rest of the honest-working taxpayers of the state.

I'll take Mr. Flipfloppy Personality over Mr. "I hate people who make more than $10.00 an hour" any day.

English Dave

Registered
Reaction score
Angelides should revert back to his original name. Anyone can see it is a spin doctor play on Angeles and Angel.

What do they take the public for.

Governor Black Black at least lays his cards on the table.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
And yet you KNOW who Angelides is going to be each year. And how much it's going to cost you and the rest of the honest-working taxpayers of the state.

I'll take Mr. Flipfloppy Personality over Mr. "I hate people who make more than $10.00 an hour" any day.

It's only going to cost the rich people, and I'm not one of them. :)

Actually, I'm not much of an Angelides fan, either, and voted for Westly in the primary. But I was disgusted with both Westly and Angelides for the horribly pointless and destructive primary campaigns they ran.

Peggy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsontheroad.blogspot.com
I thought maybe I'd just missed the ads that addressed why we should want to vote for Angelides. It really annoys me that his whole campaign seems to be "Don't Vote for Arnie because he campaigned for Bush". I'd even prefer ads that attacked Schwarzenegger's positions on topics that have to do with, you know, things that directly affect California voters.

As of right now, I don't feel like I know anything about Angelides except that he's not for Bush.

Sparhawk

Jenna's Cabana Boy
Registered
Reaction score
Peggy said:
As of right now, I don't feel like I know anything about Angelides except that he's not for Bush.

For the rabid left that's usually enough. Politics over substance. Sadly the rabid right is the same way with Abortion.

Status
Not open for further replies.