But I don't speak italian!

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Okay I don't know if this is the correct thread or not, but I just had to share the funniest news ever! And I know the published authors out there are used to this sort of thing, but I just can't get my head around it. Okay what 'it' is:

My agent has sold my book to an italian publisher!!! :partyguy: This means that my book is going to be translated into italian!!! Isn't that an insane thought?! My little book that I wrote on my little laptop . . . it boggles the mind. Or at least my mind. And the best bit is that there is a character in my book based on one of my friends (she knows about it, in fact she chose her character's name) who is italian, who has returned to living in Rome, and will get to read about her character in her mother tongue!

Man, it's just so cool. I just had to share it. Because. . . well it's so cool!!!!

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

One thing to consider - if you can read Spanish, you might be able to read the Italian. My mom spoke Italian and could understand spoken Spanish. The two languages are pretty close.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
That is very true. Unfortunately I do not speak spanish. I'm Canadian (though when I wrote my book and got an agent I was in the UK), which means it's less prevelant here. Though I do speak french!

Thanks everyone for the congrats! Gosh, isn't life just really weird?

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Isn't it cool? My publisher's sold the Ukraine and Estonian rights to my book, among others. How will I know they translated all the technical details correctly?

It will be fun to get the translated copies, won't it?

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
That is indeed cool - and as my DH speaks fluent Italian, perhaps he can get a copy of your book when it comes out!
Congrats!!!!!

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
K1P1 - Ukraine and Estonia?! That is so cool! What do they speak in Estonia, Estonian? If so, I wonder what it looks like. That's so crazy actually, to think of your book being published with a whole different alphabet!

Sorry Kate, I'm particularly slow today, what does DH stand for?

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Toothpaste said:
K1P1 - Ukraine and Estonia?! That is so cool! What do they speak in Estonia, Estonian? If so, I wonder what it looks like. That's so crazy actually, to think of your book being published with a whole different alphabet!

Sorry Kate, I'm particularly slow today, what does DH stand for?

They speak Estonian, and they use the same alphabet as we do. Estonian is part of the same language group as Hungarian, Finnish and a few Siberian dialects. I actually do have a friend here who speakes fluent Estonian, who will be able to tell me if the translation's any good, since she's a fiber artist. I wonder how long it takes to get the translation out after the rights are purchased? And I bet some of the translations are never published.

P.S. DH = Dear Husband

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait until your see the huge royalty checks when they pay you in Lira.

Congrats.

Akiahara

Registered
Reaction score
NeuroFizz said:
Wait until your see the huge royalty checks when they pay you in Lira.

Congrats.

I thought Lira was an obsolete currency... they use Euro in Italy now, or so I thought. :Shrug:

Congrats! I think that's really neat.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful news toothbrush. That's really cool about your friend being able to read it in her native language.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Toothpaste said:
Though I do speak french!

Moi aussi! Mais je parle Francais crappy! :tongue

^ That probably doesn't even say what I want it to say.

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Ah Dear Husband, of course!!

Thanks for all the other congrats too! I think the ultimate for me would be if it were published in denmark, I'm half Danish and my grandmother (Farmor) would just love that! If Denmark is even mentioned in the slightest on television or in a movie, she goes nuts. We had to rent her "The Prince and Me" starring Julia Stiles because the aforementioned prince in it, is a prince of Denmark! (also I was an extra in it)

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
That's so exciting. Won't that look different on your bookshelf! One Italian book among the English! :hooray:

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
In order to celebrate this my 100th post, I thought I would share the news that I have just learned not only do I need to learn Italian, but now Greek! My wish of being published in a completely different alphabet has been actualised! And I can't stop laughing!

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
Wow! Who ever thought writing books can also lead one to learning new languages? Celebrate the good news, Toothpaste! :)

Sury

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! Hope you get some Italian and Greek fan mail! :)

Toothpaste

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Hey I hadn't even thought of the whole fanmail thing! Awesome! And yes I totally celebrated with some Greek food, though no Ouzo, makes me kinda sick!

Cool pic by the way oarsman, where'd you get it?