PDA

View Full Version : Found out something disturbing about myself today

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 08:12 AM
I came in early to my philosophy meeting and sat to talk to the guy that runs it. We talked for only about 15 minutes or so, but in that short amount of time, this man of 35-40 yrs began to seem more and more attractive (edit- I feel the need to adjust what I said. I am NOT attracted physically to these people, because that would make me even creepier than I already am. It's usually the intellect that gets me.) After only that little amount of time, I decided to self-diagnose myself with a minor disorder that I like to call Potential Grave Robber.

It's beginning to turn into a pattern, my attraction for anyone twice as freaking old as I am. I noticed that I won't even give most people my age the time of day anymore (unless they do something to really impress me and grab my interest, but usually in order for that to happen they have to be a nerdy genius).

It'll be perfectly acceptable for me to hook up with someone much older than I am in a few years- say 25 or so. But as a 16 yr old, I'm beginning to creep myself out. My mother asked me today why I don't date and all I could do was laugh as the image of me skipping down a yellow brick road with someone almost as old as her passed through my corrupted little head.

I wonder if I was secretly abused as a baby or something....

Edit-
PS- Yes, yes I know I'm a freak, and it's probable that I'll lose what little reputation I have. ::sigh:: C'est la vie.

maddythemad
09-28-2006, 08:41 AM
Grave Robber. Lol.

Listen, girlie, some advice from one teen to another: SNAP OUT OF IT! You can get into big, big trouble with guys who are way older than you.

Now go eat some chocolate and find yourself a nice sixteen-year old boy, you hear me? *gives motherly pat on head*

persiphone_hellecat
09-28-2006, 08:51 AM
Sheeeeeeiiiiiitttttt !!! No wonder us older girls havent got a chance. Maddy is right ... Leave the men to us and have a fling with a nice young guy ... Give us a chance ok?

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Listen, girlie, some advice from one teen to another: SNAP OUT OF IT! You can get into big, big trouble with guys who are way older than you.

I know- that's why I don't date. One of the reasons that I'm worried about this situation is because I realize the potential danger :(.

dclary
09-28-2006, 11:24 AM
As a 37-year-old man, it makes me VERY, VERY concerned to hear about this disorder, and I'd like to help out by attending ANY meetings of these poor, poor girls.

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Why does it not surprise me that you'd respond like that? :roll:

Bartholomew
09-28-2006, 11:27 AM
I came in early to my philosophy meeting and sat to talk to the guy that runs it. We talked for only about 15 minutes or so, but in that short amount of time, this man of 35-40 yrs began to seem more and more attractive. After only that little amount of time, I decided to self-diagnose myself with a minor disorder that I like to call Potential Grave Robber.

It's beginning to turn into a pattern, my attraction for anyone twice as freaking old as I am. I noticed that I won't even give most people my age the time of day anymore (unless they do something to really impress me and grab my interest, but usually in order for that to happen they have to be a nerdy genius).

It'll be perfectly acceptable for me to hook up with someone much older than I am in a few years- say 25 or so. But as a 16 yr old, I'm beginning to creep myself out. My mother asked me today why I don't date and all I could do was laugh as the image of me skipping down a yellow brick road with someone almost as old as her passed through my corrupted little head.

I wonder if I was secretly abused as a baby or something....

Edit-
PS- Yes, yes I know I'm a freak, and it's probable that I'll lose what little reputation I have. ::sigh:: C'est la vie.

Sounds like you're looking for a father figure.

If you married me, this wouldn't be an issue.

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 11:29 AM
I've told you I'd only marry you if you bought Chinese food. I'm not seeing it yet. :)

Bartholomew
09-28-2006, 11:49 AM
I've told you I'd only marry you if you bought Chinese food. I'm not seeing it yet. :)

I buy Chinese food all the time.

You just need to come over here so I can share.

You don't like West Virginia anyway, remember?

Bmwhtly
09-28-2006, 12:12 PM
It'll be perfectly acceptable for me to hook up with someone much older than I am in a few years- say 25 or so.
Hi, how you doin'?
;)

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Amsterdam!

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Careful, that's the mistake men make when they don't realize I carry peppersray on me. ;)

billythrilly7th
09-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Tsuki,
You weren't recently in an earthquake were you?

By any chance are your tears milky?

I think I know what's wrong with you.
Dr. William H Thrilly PHD
Specializing in difficult to diagnose illnesses

maestrowork
09-28-2006, 12:54 PM
She's sixteen, guys.

Girl, stay put until you're 18, then you can do whatever you want.

TeddyG
09-28-2006, 12:58 PM
Notes from a Grandpa:

I assume you did post that original post in somewhat of a serious vein. So I am going to deviate from the usual with a couple of words of sane advice. Take it or leave it.

1. Being attracted to someone else's "mind" "intellect" no matter how old or young they are is nothing to worry about. As long as it stays on the "intellect" part. It does not make you a freak. I have many many friends much younger than I am and older who are damn serious intellects. However, we all know exactly where the lines are drawn. It is indeed possible for adults of any age to remain friends with one another, respecting one another without getting into all that "sexual" mumbo jumbo.

2. Any and I DO MEAN ANY male at the age of 35-40 who is coming on to a 16 year old girl, has ONE thing in his head (or in both of his heads). Oh yes, he may think you are brilliant etc. etc. etc. but if he is coming on to you then it aint for your brains darling.

3. You specifically, are obviously mature for your age. But as much as this may hurt...you have NOT reached adulthood. (and please don't ask me when that happens, I have 6 kids and each one is different.) But if at any time any of my daughters was looking at a 40 year old man while they were half their age, you had better believe I would have stepped in and said something immediately and done a lot more than just talk as well.

4. There ARE marriages and relationships that do make it where the two people are widly differentiating in age. I know of 2 where the age span is 20-25 years. BUT those are adults, not teenagers. Those two couples knew EXACTLY what they were getting into and why the got into it. At 16 messing around with someone double your age is just a mark of immaturity and a lack of understanding of what a relationship at your age should be. I myself have had such an experience but not such a gap in ages. But then again I was 48 when it began which makes for a lot different perspective.

5. At 16 among a desire for knowledge and furthering your brain, it is CRITICAL for healthy psychological growth that you live these years as a teenager. Oh I know sometimes it is not all it is cracked up to be and this is life and not television. There is a lot of pain, angst, doubt and hormones running around in that body of yours. And I do not put that down nor belittle it. But it would be good to remember that a man twice your age is not looking for a serious relationship with a 16 year old. He is not looking at your brains or intellect. His vision is a bit lower on your body. And if he "really" is seeking such a relationship then I would respectfully say he needs to have his head examined. No ands, ifs and buts about it.

BE 16 FOR GOODNESS SAKES!

Sooner than you can blink you will be gray and much older worrying about your kids and life. BE A KID. BE A TEENAGER. And as much as it may bother you or grate on your nerves there are amoung your age group, and a bit above, others who are like you. Others whom you will find to have a serious conversation with and challenge your head.

Live life...dont force it. Keep conversations to conversations when it should be done. Do not mix up intellectual attraction with physical desires. That is a road to disaster. You are too smart for that.

Those are words from an old grandfather. Take them or leave them.

Christine N.
09-28-2006, 03:29 PM
Tsuki,
You weren't recently in an earthquake were you?

By any chance are your tears milky?

I think I know what's wrong with you.
Dr. William H Thrilly PHD
Specializing in difficult to diagnose illnesses

Yes, yes, we all saw House this week.

K1P1
09-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Hey Tsuki - don't fret too much about this. Attraction is OK. It's nature's way of perpetuating the species. The problem comes when you spend a lot of time fantasizing about an inappropriate relationship, hanging around the person, making excuses to spend time with him and so on. It's so easy after that to take the next step. So don't. Just don't. Don't feed the lust.

Above all, don't write a story about it, working out all the details. We all know how life imitates art. :)

Azure Skye
09-28-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm just so shocked you consider the 35-40 year old range as grave robbing. Ouch. That hurts.:e2thud:

But seriously, I had a thing for older men when I was your age. It evens itself out when you get older. I now like men my own age. See? And I'm okay. *ahem*

aadams73
09-28-2006, 04:16 PM
Grave-robbing? :roll:

I love that phrase.

Seriously though, stay away from the older guys for now. It's okay to be all lusty and stuff, but don't encourage anything physical. Instead, aim for those sixteen-year old boys. They can be a whole lot more fun when you're just 16.

(although, if I knew then what I know now about teenage boys, I'd have been horrified)

K1P1
09-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Instead, aim for those sixteen-year old boys. They can be a whole lot more fun when you're just 16.

Well, yeah, but they're even hornier than the old guys. Hang out with them, but don't go anywhere with them alone!

aadams73
09-28-2006, 04:20 PM
But see, that's okay when you're a sixteen-year-old girl.

(unless you're my non-existent daughter)

K1P1
09-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Exactly. I have two teenage daughters. And it's only okay if you don't get pregnant or contract an incurable disease.

eldragon
09-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Your mom wants to know why you aren't dating?

My daughter will be 18 in December, and is very immature for her age. I do not encourage her to date. She has encounters with boys that are similar to how I was in junior high - "I'm going with so and so." The guy will call but there is never a physical date. The next thing you know she's "going with," someone else.

I was in a commited, sexual relationship when I was in High School - and personally do not recommend it. High School is a time when you should be focuses on YOU and nobody else but YOU. Focusing on a boy/man takes away from YOU. SCHOOL and YOU and EDUCATION should be your focus.

Another nagging word of advice : You will not be attracted to the same kind of man ten years from now that you are attracted to now.

aadams73
09-28-2006, 04:26 PM
My parents sighed in relief when my sister and I made it out of our teens with no diseases and no babies. I wish the same good luck for you :)

And TsukiRyoko--keep your legs together, young lady ;)

aadams73
09-28-2006, 04:27 PM
Another nagging word of advice : You will not be attracted to the same kind of man ten years from now that you are attracted to now.

Truer words were never spoken. Thank God(or whoever)

PattiTheWicked
09-28-2006, 04:32 PM
Speaking as someone who's often found older men attractive, I think this happens is when you're an intelligent 16 year old girl and you discover that all the "boys your own age" want to just talk about stuff you're not interested in, older guys look a LOT more appealing than they may actually BE. A guy in his thirties and forties isn't going to take you on a date to McDonalds and then go see The Fast and the Furious -- he's going to ask where YOU want to go, and the conversation will generally revolve around something other than himself. Obviously there's exceptions to the rule -- we've all been on those He's Just Not That Into You dates -- but for the most part, mature people are far more interesting to hang out with than immature ones.

That having been said, there's nothing wrong with admiring someone for their intelligence and their wit and their delightful wordly insight -- as long as it remains as only admiration. Find yourself a nice seventeen year old Nerdy Genius, as you put it, and go to poetry readings and art shows together while you gush over the joys of MMORPGs or something. There ARE intelligent guys your age out there, you just have to look a little harder to find them :)

SC Harrison
09-28-2006, 04:35 PM
I know- that's why I don't date. One of the reasons that I'm worried about this situation is because I realize the potential danger :(.

It doesn't mean you're messed up, it just means you're (probably) going through a phase. You're a writer, and apparently most of the guys your age that you come in contact with don't engage you on a cerebral level. So...maybe you're coming into contact with the wrong guys? Maybe you could join a local teenage writer's group.

Anyway, just take your time, kiddo. :)

NeuroFizz
09-28-2006, 05:04 PM
What you found out is not disturbing. How you handle it could be disturbing, but I think you are above that. Sit back and watch. Take note of things you find attractive in men (not just this man), and things you find unattractive, and file them away as mental notes. You should do this with all people, not just men. Right now, you can use this information in your writing. The mental files will be useful later, when you are more apt to begin dating. Right now, you are seeing the emotional side of male-female interactions. The safest way to enter the dating scene is to mix emotion with some logic, and that is where your list of desirable and undesirable traits can help. But, when you reach that time, don't use logic exclusively. Let that emotion also jump in.

For now, just be an observer. If you decide to pick the man's brain, be sure you are doing it for his knowledge, not just to bask in his intellect. Above all, don't flirt. And, if for any reason, you feel he is responding inappropriately, run out and tell someone in authority.

Kate Thornton
09-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Not only will you find different men attractive in 10 years, you will still be finding different types of men attractive in 20, 30 & 40 years - and more. There's a long time ahead to experiment with them - a looong time! And the ways in which you express your attraction may expand and develop. But now, at this threshold, tiptoe around it intellectually - you are an intellectually developed person, so this should be intriguing. In a year or so you may feel differently about the grave robbing...

PS - I am 57 - as you get older the interest does not go away (if anything, it becomes sharper and has more depth) but "grave robbing" takes on a different meaning.

GPatten
09-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Sixteen years old, raging hormones.
Come to think of it, mine are still raging, but nowhere near the intensity they were at 16 years of age.

expatbrat
09-28-2006, 08:21 PM
My next door neighbour is 84 and his (Thai) wife is 24. His grand daughter is older than his wife! From what I have heard from Thai women I know - the old men are the best as they will die earlier leaving you all the money.

Seriously (thou what I said before was 100% true), date a few guys your own age and see what happens. Could be fun. And those which are shocking make fantastic stories when you are a bit older - you need to have something to look back on and laugh about.

writerterri
09-28-2006, 08:26 PM
How old does one have to be to wish they were 16 again? I'm just not there.

(this has nothing to do with nothing) just wondering

aadams73
09-28-2006, 08:29 PM
How old does one have to be to wish they were 16 again? I'm just not there.

Oh gawd, me either. I wouldn't be sixteen again for anything.

Jack_Roberts
09-28-2006, 09:04 PM
Sooner than you can blink you will be gray and much older worrying about your kids and life.

Very true. First comes the interest and flirting. Then the relationship. Then, if it lasts, you look back and regret not having a fuller teenagehood.

Beware. Life is way to fast.

veinglory
09-28-2006, 09:09 PM
There is nothing wrong with being attracted to people for whatever wild reason your psyche comes up with. I am attracted to al sorts of people pretty much every hour of the day.

So long as you know that teachers cannot have anything to do with students and kids shouldn't throw themselves at older guys it's just a feeling you experienced and nothing to worry about. Quite a normal one--there are all sorts of deep biological reasons for it and nothing abnormal or idiosyncratic about it at all.

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Maybe you could join a local teenage writer's group.

I tried that, and I even managed to set one up. I was very disappointed, because everyone that came to the meeting was denser than a cloud of steel. I know many good writers around the area, but most of them are old and the younger ones are practically hermits. :(

maddythemad
09-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Okay here's the ironic thing: When you're forty, you'll wish you could go out with a twenty-year old. So go out with the young guy now and save your old-guy lust for when you're old.

K1P1
09-28-2006, 11:11 PM
I tried that, and I even managed to set one up. I was very disappointed, because everyone that came to the meeting was denser than a cloud of steel. I know many good writers around the area, but most of them are old and the younger ones are practically hermits. :(

This isn't just because they're young. There are an awful lot of dull people out in the world, and most of the interesting ones are busy doing other things - not going to meetings. It's hard to get together a successful group like that and it takes some time to develop the dynamics, for the group to bond. sometimes it works best if you have a core of just one or two people you respect. You talk out the group idea with them, and then each of you invites just one person you thing would contribute something useful. You meet for a while. A couple will probably drop out of the group. When you feel you've exhausted the core group's possibilities and things are getting boring, the whole group discusses the situation and each of you, again, invite just one person to join. You can keep this going for a long time . . . I've found it works pretty well.

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 11:13 PM

2. Any and I DO MEAN ANY male at the age of 35-40 who is coming on to a 16 year old girl, has ONE thing in his head (or in both of his heads). Oh yes, he may think you are brilliant etc. etc. etc. but if he is coming on to you then it aint for your brains darling.

Don't worry, they don't come onto me. It's a silent, one-sided thing on my part. I do not flirt, I don't do any of that tempting crap. I also carry a steady supply of pepperspray on hand for this same reason.

I do not get into relationships into these men or encourage progression into a relationship in anyway. The main reason I was worried, however, is because even though I know it's absolutely inappropriate to date much older men, it's taking a toll on relationships with people my age. I used to date all the time, but it never really captured my interest. Because I'm spending time with an older crown, it's REALLY taking a toll on my dating life (I can't tell you how many dates I've walked out on).

The safety issues do worry me, but not much (not because of sheer senselessness, but simply because I can smell trouble a mile away and I won't go anywhere near it.)

BE A KID. BE A TEENAGER.

That's exactly why I'm worried. I feel as though I'm not able to enjoy my time as a teenager. I usually don't enjoy the company of other teenagers, I don't enjoy the things they do, and whenever I go into a group of teenagers, I end up leaving in a very bad mood after telling them all off: this is exactly where my dilemma lies.

Thank you :)

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Correction- No flirting is involved, and I do a good job at preventing it from turning into anything close to flirting. One the reasons that I posted is because I'm worried that I'm wasting my "kid time".

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 11:22 PM
I'm just so shocked you consider the 35-40 year old range as grave robbing. Ouch. That hurts.:e2thud:

:roll: It's not grave robbing right now obviously, but by the time I turn 40ish, it WILL BE!

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 11:25 PM
It's has very little to do with lust. I'm not crawling all over these guys or anything, it's simply a one sided attraction. I (silently) like them, and thankfully there are no signs of it being reciprocated. I'm friends with many people a lot older than me, but I have enough sense to know that if anyone twice my age is attracted to ME, then something's seriously wrong.

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 11:26 PM
It's true, it's not safe around teenage boys. No one in a skirt can bend over safely in the highschools.

:D Ok, I might have crossed a line there.

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 11:34 PM
I am entirely focused on my education. I am an independant schooler, I do it entirely by myself because I'm focused on it, I've taken it upon myself to get into college (and it's going wonderfully) and I do many more side projects dealing with my education.

I'm not worried about my education in the least (every year I ace the final exams with no problems at whatsoever). I am confident that, even if I were to get involved in a relationship (by saying this, I am not implying that it's with an older man, I know my limits) that it wouldn't take on a toll on my education, my motivation, my ambition, or my chances of landing an excellent career.

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 11:43 PM
keep your legs together, young lady :roll: Sex is nice, but overrated- especially now that your chances of getting radition emmiting, pus spewing genital tentacles are increasing as the day goes by. Unfortunately, I grew up in a generation that's filled with sluts (it's not uncommon to see a pregnant 13 year old- I know because I've seen them), and that's another contributing factor to why I don't date. Everyone (not just the guys) my age is driven only by hormones and alcohol- I'm beginning to fear for our future.

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 11:46 PM
You are mistaken- if there's one thing I have under control, it's my hormones. I'm only attracted to these older guys because of their minds. A sexual attraction would be dangerous, inappropriate, and it would probably cause me to go pepperspray happy.

TsukiRyoko
09-28-2006, 11:56 PM
I do try to date people my age, but it's not very successful. List of the most reason ones- one tried that whole "making out in the theatre thing", so I busted his nose in. Another insisted on showing me his car for an hour, and after the arrogant bastard went into the house, I put on lipstick, kissed a post-it, plasted it to the steering wheel, and drove the car in the (shallow) creek. The QB (I didn't know he was QB, I don't care for football and could give less of a damn about his status, but he thought he was a golden God) insisted on calling my house everyday during my writing hours. lastly, the most recent, was 19 years old and because he was considered a "legal adult", he thought that would be enough for me to have sex with him. he might be completely sterile now (other than that, he was kind of interesting I guess).

In comparison, just talking to someone older than me is FAR more interesting. They're almost never inappropriate (when they are, I deal with it) and they have way more to talk about than the latest math quiz or the last time they bleep bleeped a bleep (fill in the bleeps for yourself)

Kate Thornton
09-29-2006, 12:05 AM
Tsuki, you sound like you've got your head on straight.

Just as there is a plethora of really dense teens out there, there is an even greater number of really dense adults - they don't get much smarter as they get older.

That said, there *are* smart and funny and interesting kids out there - I have even seen a few (look at you!) I wish you could meet some - it would really expand your life right now. Alan Yee on this board springs to mind - I bet in person he would be really interesting to know.

Sixteen is a tough age, kiddo. Some things you just have to get through. Maybe it will ease up a bit in a few months. I sure wish I could introduce you to some of the smart & funny kids I know. They would really like you and I think you would like them. But since we can't do that, why not look for others like yourself in all the usual places - libraries, museums, special interest groups (I got introduced to a rocket club - wow, were those folks uh, *zoned in* on their hobby!) and writers groups of all ages.

Don't worry too much about not being a kid during your kid years - you can always be a kid during your adult years like the rest of us.

Hugs to you kiddo -

billythrilly7th
09-29-2006, 12:07 AM
Yes, yes, we all saw House this week.

I do not know of which you speak.

I believe that Tsuki may be suffering from earthquake spores that are lowering her inhibitions.

If she takes amoxicillian 500MG tabs three times a day for a week, she should be okay, but Tsuki, have a medical professional examine you for confirmation of my diagnosis.

Provrb1810meggy
09-29-2006, 12:10 AM
You drove the guy's car into the creek? Harsh..

Shadow_Ferret
09-29-2006, 12:12 AM
It's beginning to turn into a pattern, my attraction for anyone twice as freaking old as I am.

Yay! I'm safe! I'm thrice your age.

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Alan Yee is the awesome- he's my chatroom buddy. But, internet attractions are just as creepy :tongue:

Maybe it will ease up a bit in a few months. God, by that time it will be perfectly acceptable for me to date these guys. I only have a little opver a year to go, and I'm fresh game.

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 12:15 AM
1- it was a junker

2- he was an arrogant, mysoginistic dickhead

3- the creek was only a foot high. In WV, we have to pull cars out of full fledged floods and they still work fine. One foot of creek water won't do anything. No worries.

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 12:15 AM
Careful, you might be the next victim.

Kate Thornton
09-29-2006, 12:40 AM
WV! I didn't notice where you lived - That explains a lot - (creeks, dearth of fun kids, etc.) It's a pretty place though (I have been to Morgantown) and the leaves must be turning about now...

At least you have all of us here!

TrainofThought
09-29-2006, 12:43 AM
It isn't disturbing that you are attracted to "grave diggers" just watch it when putting 30 & 40 year olds in that category, Ouch! You’re mature and I guess I am immature. I was never attracted to older men until recently. Being attracted to younger men, not that young though, is disturbing.

Likes and dislikes change every year. Don't act on your likes though...well not now anyways. Hold an aspirin between your knees.

Melina
09-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Ya know, Tsuki--after reading through the thread, I'm thinking maybe it's not such a bad thing that you're not doing a lot of dating at your age. When you get into college, the boys will be a lot closer to being men, and it will be easier to find someone who is closer to your IQ than the ones to whom you find yourself subjected now.

Many of them will be driven, success-minded, interesting individuals from faraway places. There are lots of clubs for people who have interests similar to yours, social activities and such. Life is so much different in college than in high school. The nerdy guys from high school often end up to be the real catches, while the popular football-playing guys end up washing out of college, getting fat and becoming gas station attendants.

You'll see. Concentrate on your education now, and worry about being social when there is a larger pool of people with whom to socialize.

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 12:59 AM
When you get into college, the boys will be a lot closer to being men, and it will be easier to find someone who is closer to your IQ than the ones to whom you find yourself subjected now.
That's the thing, I'm already in college and it isn't helping. I'm well away from most of the highschool airheads who i was never interested in. Now that I'm beginning to become interested in the older guys I'm surrounded by is were my problems lie (and sadly, even most of college guys are boring me.)

The nerdy guys from high school often end up to be the real catches,In grade school, I had little crushes on all the geeky guys. I got picked on a lot for it, but when everyone looks at those same guys now, they can't believe how much they've physically changed. But, those guys are now just as arrogant and they turned stupid from the attention.

Wordworm
09-29-2006, 01:13 AM
*sigh* If only I'd known a girl like you, Tsuki, when I was a sixteen-year-old nerd. But then again, I guess I would have been far too young for you...

dclary
09-29-2006, 01:34 AM
I was in 4th grade when my wife graduated high school.

Of course, I was held back 6 times.

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 01:41 AM
:roll:

Aubrey
09-29-2006, 01:41 AM
Take time to figure yourself out and stop worrying about attractions to older guys and not finding anyone your own age. Focus on yourself and when you're busy with life, one day someone who's right will come along.

And I'll agree with everyone else, don't bother with the much older guys, at least not at this point when you're still not sure who you are yet. It would just be so awkward, with you two being in such distant places both mentally and in life. Even if things went well at first, I can promise there'd be times when you felt really young and naive and he felt really old and tired.

I'm actually the opposite of you, I tend to prefer younger (put mature) guys because I get intimidated by those older and feel rather young for my age. However I wouldn't want to do more than look at a guy below college age and have a barely existent sex drive (AKA I have no interest in doing much, just joking and reading about it) anyway. So, parents of teenagers rest easily! I'm about the least threatening would-be cradle robber on the planet.

Bartholomew
09-29-2006, 01:45 AM
And TsukiRyoko--keep your legs together, young lady ;)

<Hissing>
Stop. Giving. Her. Ideas. X_X

Godfather
09-29-2006, 01:54 AM
man, i wish there was a psychology course that i could do...

anyway. i'm 16, i'm sure there are plenty of older women that i'm attracted to, but i would personally much prefer a 16 year old. but someone that can put up with me. hmmm... too much to ask for perhaps.

yes, women women women. quite the problem.

ah, but i am hard to understand at times, quite the word stumbler over in the face of beauty.

"she never pretended to be nice
she destroyed me with her smile
i never knew what she was smiling about"

our day will come Tsuki!

Kate Thornton
09-29-2006, 02:07 AM
Godfather - you astound me as much as Tsuki did!

I never thought you were 16. I always thought you both were older.

But then, I thought *I* was younger...

dclary
09-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Nope, you and I are in the freakin graveyard, according to these whippersnappers.

aadams73
09-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Wait...you're both sixteen....

Godfather, meet Tsuki...Tsuki, meet Godfather(he's a mighty fine poet)

My work here is done :D

Rachael
09-29-2006, 02:28 AM
I know Godfather! And I seriously think he's lying about his age. ;) Come on! I hate it when people are a year younger than me and 10 years more mature than me. :( I have a friend who's 13 with the wisdom of a 30 year old.

Tsuki: Take it from another teenager-- don't sleep with old guys. Well, unless they promise you a sports car or your college tuition paid or something equally beneficial. But otherwise, it's just plain creepy.

persiphone_hellecat
09-29-2006, 04:33 AM
Lovely posts Teddy and Pam - kids - be kids ... you are supposed to be going to sock hops and hanging out at the mall and doing goofy things -- and of course focusing on education - but socialization is important too - dont neglect those things. It may seem you are attracted to 35 year old men, but more likely you are responding to the fact that 16 year old boys think with the little brain (well all men do that) and are intellectually behind 16 year old girls for the most part. Thats part of the fun! Go to movies -- hang out with friends... Enjoy being 16 because dear it does not last near long enough. Leave the 35 year old men for us older gals. At least give us a chance!!

Kate Thornton
09-29-2006, 04:44 AM
Leave the 35 year old men for us older gals. At least give us a chance!!

Man, I haven't been young enough for a 35 yr old in more than 30 years! Hah!!!

But seriously, girls, leave the 60 yr olds for us older gals...

Kate Thornton
09-29-2006, 04:46 AM
Nope, you and I are in the freakin graveyard, according to these whippersnappers.

It's a prettly lively place - and it has a lot of the comforts, too - just a minute - Hey! You! Get offa my lawn! - there, I feel better now...

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 05:29 AM
man, i wish there was a psychology course that i could do... Come join my psyche class, it's extremely interesting.

Guys that are hard to understand are sometimes the best catches.

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 05:32 AM
Ha. Well look at that, a match made in heaven. Except, I'm sure Godfather would tire of me very quickly (I'm very analyzing and point out someone's bad side :( It's a bad quality)

He really is a good poet. i combed through Blue Rock, and I was very impressed.

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Tsuki: Take it from another teenager-- don't sleep with old guys. Well, unless they promise you a sports car or your college tuition paid or something equally beneficial. But otherwise, it's just plain creepy.

I'm a bit of a prude in the modern day aspect. I'm not one to shove away some good lovin's, but I don't take booty from older guys, people I barely know, and I don't sleep around simply to get it out of the way.

...College intuition, you say?

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 05:39 AM
Thats part of the fun! Go to movies -- hang out with friends... That's another thing- I don't enjoy doing those "entertainment" activities with some of the people my age. In the movies, they talk and talk, and our mall is kind of dangerous, and the only clubs around play distasteful hip hop and someone is always fighting.

SC Harrison
09-29-2006, 06:21 AM
That's another thing- I don't enjoy doing those "entertainment" activities with some of the people my age. In the movies, they talk and talk, and our mall is kind of dangerous, and the only clubs around play distasteful hip hop and someone is always fighting.

Reading that makes me want to stay home. ;)

Seriously, I think you pretty much have your stuff together. When I was your age, I couldn't stand to stay at home, so I would go wherever I thought something was going to "happen". I had some genuine fun on a rare occasion, but most of the time I just ended up being more depressed because I realized that there really wasn't much happening, and I wasted time looking for nothing.

You know what? Happiness is in your head, sweetie. Wherever you are is the place to look for it, but I think you already know that. :)

Eveningsdawn
09-29-2006, 07:28 AM
Ha. Well look at that, a match made in heaven. Except, I'm sure Godfather would tire of me very quickly (I'm very analyzing and point out someone's bad side :( It's a bad quality)

Godfather has no bad sides. He is a perfect gentleman.

Screw teenage relationships. I've been in a few - three with girls, two with guys (those didn't work so well) - and although I learned a lot, it didn't control me. I was very much committed to maintaining my own sanity and health in highschool. And that meant not being in a relationship for most of it.
They can be fun, I'm not saying they can't. But don't worry about having one.

From one teenager to another -

hey, you a freshman? I'm a freshman in college too! I'm 19, so I'm a bit old for it...

BottomlessCup
09-29-2006, 07:48 AM
High school is one of the few opportunities you'll have in life to spend loads of time with loads of potential dates for free. I think it'd be a shame to waste that.

Not joking.

September skies
09-29-2006, 07:56 AM
When I was in high school, my counselor fell in love with me. But he didn't tell me. Not until I was 19 and he proposed to me. I was in love with his "intellect" too and accepted. My friends called him my sugar daddy but it was not that. I really had a lot of respect for the old man. (ok, he was only 40) But the engagement lasted a whole three months - we both realized how wrong it was, (through school, I had a crush on his son) so we broke it off.

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 08:06 AM
hey, you a freshman? I'm a freshman in college too! I'm 19, so I'm a bit old for it...
yes, I'm a freshman in college (Sadly, I'm the youngest one in the school)

It's true, relationships never have been something to keep you sane. Then, I'm not exactly sane, so.... :tongue

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 08:07 AM
High school is one of the few opportunities I don't really go to highschool, even though I'm in the age group. All the highschool work, I do myself at home. :Shrug:

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 08:09 AM
Oh, I love going outside, but I prefer doing things solitary or with a few choice people. I garden all the time, and I'm always out hiking and stuff. I can't stand staying at home, but I can't stand people much either....

Besides, books are a much better form of entertainment then people, always (found this out in the 1st grade. Oh yeah)

Rachael
09-29-2006, 09:16 AM
I started college at 16 too... we should start a club! I stayed at home until just a few weeks ago, though.

And I'm quite a homebody... I usually go to bed fairly early, I'd rather be working on a story or homework or a book I'm reading than hanging out with friends getting into trouble.

kids - be kids ... you are supposed to be going to sock hops and hanging out at the mall and doing goofy things

hmm... de javu...

Kim: What's a sock hop?
Ron: What's a soda parlour?

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 09:48 AM
What IS a sock hop exactly?

GPatten
09-29-2006, 05:04 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v67/pattengr/My%20personal%20fishing%20photos/thFUNNYFACE.gif

SC Harrison
09-29-2006, 05:27 PM
What IS a sock hop exactly?

It's what happens in your sock drawer when nobody's looking. Sock-mate-swapping and stuff. It's disgusting and leads to the loss of sock-morals in general.

Kate Thornton
09-29-2006, 05:40 PM
LOL! We haven't had sock hops since the 50s - but it was an informal dance where records were played (for music) and people took off their shoes and danced in their socks - it was usually held in the gym so you could sort of slide on that beautiful wooden floor.

The informality of it made sure that even the shyest folks could still participate.

I don't know what a current equivalent would be.

Oh, and a note about socializing - one of the greratest things about being in the Army - for me - was that I had to socialize and live with people I would not otherwise have even known, much less liked or chosen as friends. And I had to depend on them as well - the Army is about cooperating to achieve missions. I have remained fast friends with many of them. Learning how to get along with diverse people and even *like* them and participate in activities you would never have chosen for yourself takes you out of yourself and broadens your outlook, your worldview and your life.

While I do not recommend military service as a way of doing this, I *do* recommend pushing your comfort levels and widening your tolerances. A larger life is a better life and in no way detracts from a rich interior life.

Try something different. You may prefer your own company to that of others, but you really need to learn how to interact positively with various other people. 16 is an excellent time to begin this process.

Rachael
09-29-2006, 06:56 PM
I usually eavesdrop on non-private conversations in lines or whatnot and then interject something witty into them. No one has been overly hateful towards me for it, and it's easier than trying to convince people on my floor or even in my entire RH to like me.

But mostly people in my classes like me. Mostly.

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 07:51 PM
That sounds like something that wuold throw my back out.

I'm too stubborn for the military; maybe I'll do what I used to do and go up to some random couple at the nearest restaurant, sit at their table and begin talking to them. :tongue

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 07:54 PM
Most of the time, I can always find someone to talk to while waiting in line or somewhere else. Getting people to like me is no big problem. It just that I like messing with people's heads way more (I also don't like acting like I'm sweet and charming just for some complete stranger to think I'm a nice person. I prefer jumping their bones a little and shocking them beyond response :D).

scarletpeaches
09-29-2006, 07:55 PM
Oh good god. 35 is grave robbing age?

F*ck. I've got 5 years to live, then.

Personally I find men 35-45 far more attractive than teenage, clueless spods. Which is just as well, at my progressing age.

Rachael
09-29-2006, 08:05 PM
One night I walked up to a bunch of people (including couples) and asked them if they were homeless. One guy asked me if I had 'been on the bottle'. ;)

I like guys in their 20's as candidates for marriage... however, no one ever wants me as a wife (not nearly as virtuous as they're looking for), so I tend to gravitate towards men in their thirties and forties. They usually have more financial security, anyways.

MacAllister
09-29-2006, 09:53 PM
Good Lord, kiddo... Why not just wear a tee-shirt that says "Pedophiles, look THIS way" ?!?

aadams73
09-29-2006, 10:00 PM
I like guys in their 20's as candidates for marriage... however, no one ever wants me as a wife (not nearly as virtuous as they're looking for), so I tend to gravitate towards men in their thirties and forties. They usually have more financial security, anyways.

*blink*

Are you serious?

You'll find the self-respect in aisle three next to the self-esteem.

maddythemad
09-29-2006, 10:05 PM
Forget sock hops.

What about taffy pulls? ;)

aadams73
09-29-2006, 10:35 PM
I used to wonder that too, Maddy. Here you go:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/candy/recipe-taffy.html

Rachael
09-29-2006, 10:42 PM
Good Lord, kiddo... Why not just wear a tee-shirt that says "Pedophiles, look THIS way" ?!?

Because it's dirty, and as a poor college student I don't have enough quarters to wash it.

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 11:10 PM

TsukiRyoko
09-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Taffy actually doesn't sound like a bad idea right now....

Stew21
09-29-2006, 11:48 PM
Because it's dirty, and as a poor college student I don't have enough quarters to wash it.

this isn't even a little bit funny.

Rachael
09-30-2006, 02:00 AM
maybe not. Very true, though. I've had to wear the same pair of pants for 4 days now.

SherryTex
09-30-2006, 02:09 AM
Thinking back to the ancient days when I was sixteen, there weren't any boys I thought were all that smart or interesting either, but then none of them had the good taste to think I was attractive either.

Relax, enjoy being sixteen and wait to become old enough to be able to discern true maturity from simple age and experience --this will come at to you a frustratingly slow pace, but you will have no regrets if you wait for this wisdom.

You are not a freak. Every person who has ever been 16 was convinced at some point that they were somehow alone in the universe and freakish. It's just part of the landscape of that age.

Don't think you were abused because you want to date guys who have brains. Just recognize 16 year old boys don't use their brains that much yet. Do think girls with brains, don't date men, they date boys and hang out with their girlfriends. Women with brains, date men, not boys, and hang out with their girlfriends. You'll be fine if you let yourself be your age and enjoy it for what it is, the gift of youth mixed with wisdom and intellect. (What a combo!)

Bravo
09-30-2006, 03:27 AM
i really really have to wonder about any1 who is out of HS but goes out w a HS aged girl.

anyone who does that has issues.

i dont care if that's a blanket statement, its the truth.

there's a huge, enormous difference b/n a HS girl and a college/professionally aged woman.

guys go after HS girls for one thing, and it isnt for their brains.

besides the obvious reason, they do it b/c theyre too dorky, classless, and/or unnattractive to date some1 closer to their age.

stay away from any1 outside of HS.

good luck

TsukiRyoko
09-30-2006, 03:32 AM
I don't think I'm freakish; I've just been led to believe, recently, that I'm not typical (though, I guess that IS a typical teenage philosophy). I was, however, worried that I might be a little bit screwed up (which wouldn't be surprising, it's normal for my family). The fact that my interest in people my age is almost non-existant is what worried me the most. I don't mind not liking them (a small percent is even worth liking).

It is frustrating that I have no emotional support, though- that does get lonely, but it's virtually (and legally) impossible for me to start a relationship with them. Besides, it would be kind of creepy (that's why I consider myself creepy)

Just recognize 16 year old boys don't use their brains that much yet. No, most of them use brains. It's just that the brain happens to be located suspiciously close to the groin. :D

TsukiRyoko
09-30-2006, 03:38 AM
No, I agree. That's part of my dilemma- the people I actually show interest for (mind you, they don't show interest back. That IS crossing the line, I'm well off to realize that) are way out of my league.

stay away from any1 outside of HS. That's a problem, since I'm active in college and I do not, and have not, gone to highschool for quite sometime. Nearly everyone involved in my social life is well above 18.

Even though I know it's inappropriate to date older men (and no worries, I haven't even thought of trying it), I worry myself because those are the only ones I'm interested in. It's very rare for me to honestly be interested in someone my own age, and even trying to find someone within my age boundary doesn't spark an interest in me either. :Shrug:

Bravo
09-30-2006, 03:45 AM
That's a problem, since I'm active in college and I do not, and have not, gone to highschool for quite sometime. Nearly everyone involved in my social life is well above 18.

dating at your age isnt worth the emotional rollercoaster that it will bring.

Even though I know it's inappropriate to date older men (and no worries, I haven't even thought of trying it), I worry myself because those are the only ones I'm interested in. It's very rare for me to honestly be interested in someone my own age, and even trying to find someone within my age boundary doesn't spark an interest in me either. :Shrug:

so dont date yet.

i know it sounds like a hard thing to do, but youre really not missing out on much if you wait until you find some1 closer your age. in a couple years, guys will catch up (mostly) in the maturity area and youre chances of finding some1 will be a helluva lot better.

like a lot of ppl here, i wouldnt go back to 16. so i sympathize w you. :D

TsukiRyoko
09-30-2006, 03:48 AM
Believe me, I know. I don't date regardless of how much I like a person. I have too much going on to date. My parents are practically ripping their hair out because I don't (I have no idea why they want me to, most parents would be relieved).

Being 16 today isn't as bad as everyone thinks. You get a lot more respect that (supposedly) teenagers back in the day did. I could be mistaken, though, since I don't have the opportunity to experience what others kid get to. Either way, I think it's great (no bills or tax)

Bravo
09-30-2006, 03:50 AM
"back in the day".

lol

it wasnt that long ago kiddo. ;)

TsukiRyoko
09-30-2006, 03:50 AM
Anything before 1989 is back in the day for me ;)

Bravo
09-30-2006, 04:03 AM
http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/boards/images/smilies/nosmile.gif

Rachael
09-30-2006, 04:35 AM
You get respect? Oh, I envy you. :( I can't even go to the health clinic to get treated for an STD or go to the counseling center if I'm feeling suicidal because people will tell my mom... everyone treats me like a bratty teenager, so I see no reason not to act like one. Can't let the people down, can we?

And on the advice of some weird person who is supposedly banned from these forums now, I decided to take up a 'night job'... no money yet, but I suppose it will come in time... Again, I suppose I should meet the expectations of the adults around me...

TsukiRyoko
09-30-2006, 04:38 AM
I get respect because if anyone treats me in a condescending way, I verbally rip them to shreds. My mom's side of the family associates themselves with a lot of pompous, smug, snobby old ladies that think they have the right to act better than everyone else because they have an accountant. I simply refuse to stand for it, and tell them exactly what I think of them.

Strangers tend to be disrespectful, but in a fun way.

Money sounds good. I need a job.........

chicagogal
09-30-2006, 05:23 AM
is this the dating game or a writers forum? personally I was married for many years to a man fifteen years my senior. we had fun time and serious time. there is no general rule. follow your heart only. is this young woman for real or are we having our legs pulled? I hesitate to be suspicious. but I am.

TsukiRyoko
09-30-2006, 05:28 AM
Are you sending mixed signals, or am I reading your post wrong?

SC Harrison
09-30-2006, 06:31 AM
Are you sending mixed signals, or am I reading your post wrong?

I don't know...you are unnaturally clever for a sixteen-year-old, even one who is fast approaching her seventeenth birthday.

You're either a) a computer construct that was ingeniusly placed here by the Evermind in an attempt to undermine the natural Scheme Of Things, or b) an actual teenage girl who was somehow enhanced, possibly by aliens, or c) an alien.

That's it! Tsuki's an alien teenager, from a future/distant planet/other dimension, and she got in trouble wherever she's from and was punished by being sent to West Virginia. I can't believe it took me this long to sort it all out.

TsukiRyoko
09-30-2006, 06:38 AM
The correct answer is "C", the same answer I put on the SATs again and again.

That's it! Tsuki's an alien teenager, from a future/distant planet/other dimension, and she got in trouble wherever she's from and was punished by being sent to West Virginia. I can't believe it took me this long to sort it all out. It's true- the part of WV I live in is like a big bowl with no escape.

Rachael
09-30-2006, 06:55 AM
MOST of WV is an alien land... ;)

uh... I was in college at 16 too... it's not that unusual. Granted, I'm nowhere near as smart as Tsuki, nor as mature, but I suppose that only supports my claims that 16-year-olds in college are everywhere...

TsukiRyoko
09-30-2006, 07:02 AM
I'm nowhere near as smart as Tsuki, nor as mature, aw, I feel special now. I'm not smart, just a smart ***. Big difference ;)

Rachael
09-30-2006, 07:07 AM
lol. Well, I have some knowledge but very little common sense, according to my friends.

Did you know it's dangerous to wander around downtown? hmm... I need a new place to wander, then.

TsukiRyoko
09-30-2006, 07:14 AM
I did know it was dangerous to wander around downtown, but I learned recently that walking across the freeway blindfolded is a bad idea sometimes. who would have thought....?

BradyH1861
09-30-2006, 07:40 AM
Girl, stay put until you're 18, then you can do whatever you want.

Age 17 in my state. :D

TsukiRyoko
09-30-2006, 07:58 AM
which state?

Rachael
09-30-2006, 08:01 AM
We hates you... XD

TsukiRyoko
09-30-2006, 08:03 AM
For good reason, I am sure. :) (I was going to in sometihng right here ______ but decided it wasn't appropriate. :D)

Godfather
09-30-2006, 02:14 PM
Come join my psyche class, it's extremely interesting.

Guys that are hard to understand are sometimes the best catches.

yes, i should fly over.

and thank you, thank you.

16. its good to be 16, i like the look. i like the sound. but what oh what are we to do? teenage dramas get boring. 16's meant to be the age, right?

ah, women women women. such a crazy game, with no sure winner. if any.
i'll find her, i'll find her. she'll be 16 too. she'll dig me. she'll be an artist.

ah, haven't we all heard that before some form or other?

maybe you could discuss the whole fact of the psychology of the attraction with him. wouldn't that make for quite the discussion.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-30-2006, 03:46 PM

But seriously, I had a thing for older men when I was your age. It evens itself out when you get older. I now like men my own age. See? And I'm okay. *ahem*

Ditto... and listen to Grandpa Teddy. His words are wise.

DamaNegra
10-01-2006, 05:30 AM
everyone treats me like a bratty teenager, so I see no reason not to act like one.

Uh... to prove everyone wrong so you'll get respect?

TsukiRyoko
10-01-2006, 09:36 AM
:roll: You can treat them badly, just be sure to do it with ~style~.

TsukiRyoko
10-01-2006, 09:38 AM
It's true, 16 if often said to be the age, and I'd have to agree. Frustrating at times, yes, but it's also freedom without taxes and full of color.

An artsy girl with a stylish, jazzy flare would suit you best, I think. I can imagine you meeting a girl who can recreate painted masterpieces on ceilings using the plastic end of a toothbrush or something tastefully eccentric like that.

Godfather
10-01-2006, 01:25 PM
yeah, i agree with dama there. but the way i see it is, i don't act like a bratty teenager, i don't act trying to prove that i'm not. i don't act "different" for the sake of being "different". i am me, and i'm pretty sure thats not a bratty teenager, but if it was, so be it.

tsuki, that would be quite the interesting girl to meet alright. but right now, i'm not living in a big place, a smaaaall city. but somebody that i dig is good, she don't have to be artsy or anything. so long as i dig her, and she digs me. thats aaaaaaalright.

K1P1
10-01-2006, 04:16 PM
An artsy girl with a stylish, jazzy flare would suit you best, I think. I can imagine you meeting a girl who can recreate painted masterpieces on ceilings using the plastic end of a toothbrush or something tastefully eccentric like that.

Ahem. I have a 16YO daughter who is scarily close to this description. Would you like me to introduce you? She's got at least 4 blogs at the moment, but I'm not supposed to know what they are. And she's more likely to create a full color mosaic on the ceiling with pieces of duct tape.

TeddyG
10-01-2006, 04:20 PM
Ahem. I have a 16YO daughter who is scarily close to this description. Would you like me to introduce you

Matchmaker matchmaker make me a match
find me a find
catch me a catch.....

The fiddler is fiddling...
Careful GF....you were just elevated to the roof

K1P1
10-01-2006, 06:20 PM
For Papa, make him a scholar
For Mama, make him rich as a king

Nope. My other daughter's the fiddler. The 16YO is the flutist/piccolo/sousaphone player.

Godfather
10-01-2006, 09:31 PM
i built the stage for our school production of fiddler on the roof. i built the roof. i wore a black tshirt that said CREW on it. i know the songs.

DamaNegra
10-01-2006, 11:28 PM

Hahah I'd love to meet a guy like that, that's for sure! But I don't think he'd like me, not with my Capoeira fixation.

yeah, i agree with dama there. but the way i see it is, i don't act like a bratty teenager, i don't act trying to prove that i'm not. i don't act "different" for the sake of being "different". i am me, and i'm pretty sure thats not a bratty teenager, but if it was, so be it.

I don't try to act different either (which is maybe why people think I'm weird), but as I understood it, Rachel acts like a bratty teenager because people expect her to act like that, instead of acting like the smart, mature girl she really is. That's all I was saying.

And Godftaher, you can come to live in Mexico City. It's big enough :D

TsukiRyoko
10-01-2006, 11:40 PM
I say we all go to Mexico, and it'll be easier to do that conference we might be having.

A lot of teenagers make the mistake of acting the way other people want them to act. It's a big mistake and will only hold back on someone's sense of self-satisfaction. I have a habit of straightening people like this out very quickly. A few times, I spent all week with a girl, just taking her to different activities and such because I was determined that she find what she likes, not what other people like. It didn't work though, because now she tries to act like me :(.

DamaNegra
10-02-2006, 12:05 AM
I say we all go to Mexico, and it'll be easier to do that conference we might be having.

Wahoo!!! I'll invite the tequila!! I mean... the sodas :D

A lot of teenagers make the mistake of acting the way other people want them to act. It's a big mistake and will only hold back on someone's sense of self-satisfaction. I have a habit of straightening people like this out very quickly. A few times, I spent all week with a girl, just taking her to different activities and such because I was determined that she find what she likes, not what other people like. It didn't work though, because now she tries to act like me :(.

Isn't that frustrating??? I HATE when that happens!! On the other hand, poor girl. I almost became like her, once. It's horrible.

Godfather
10-03-2006, 07:58 PM
ah yes mexico, where the fedoras and moustaches run free.

i used to be one of them people, acted like other people, in front of different people. ah, i was pathetic really. i was fat, and my personal hygiene left much to be desired.

and nowadays, i have no pity for pathetic people. there's one guy that desperately wants to be liked and accepted by our group of friends. he tries to show off, gain our approval by doing whatever we say. and then he picks on people that are below him on the 'social ladder' (ah, i don't like the sound of that)
its a shame, but i have no sympathy. he has to buck up, and do things for himself, instead of us. its a shame when people go like that.

but yes, sometimes being yourself isn't a good thing. i'm not much of a ladies man, can't talk to em. but, one day. one day.

aadams73
10-03-2006, 08:09 PM
and nowadays, i have no pity for pathetic people. there's one guy that desperately wants to be liked and accepted by our group of friends. he tries to show off, gain our approval by doing whatever we say. and then he picks on people that are below him on the 'social ladder' (ah, i don't like the sound of that)
its a shame, but i have no sympathy. he has to buck up, and do things for himself, instead of us. its a shame when people go like that.

Show him some compassion. Compassion reels the girls in :)

(And one day you'll be glad you were kind to him)

Godfather
10-03-2006, 08:46 PM
i'm not mean to him, i stick up for him and whatnot.

nonetheless, i acknowledge and accept that he is pathetic. until he proves me wrong.

aadams73
10-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Fair enough :D

You're a good egg.

Godfather
10-03-2006, 09:02 PM
not good, not bad.

TsukiRyoko
10-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Until then, I say you have yourself a servant

i'm not much of a ladies man, can't talk to em. but, one day. one day. See, I don't believe this. I don't believe it at all. I just can't; I'd be less surprised if you more the type who can make the ladies swoon and faint with a twitch of your finger.

Godfather
10-04-2006, 12:49 AM
not the purty ones. not the right ones.

oh no, i'm no ladies man at all. woe is me woe is me.

Kate Thornton
10-04-2006, 01:05 AM
16 - No thanks. Been there, done that.

But 17 - now you're talkin... all of a sudden, you really *don't* care what your peers think of you - the approval of those whom you truly admire becomes more important. You start looking beyond pretty exteriors (the beginning of a life-long appreciation of what's underneath the surface) while still admitting that there's nothing wrong with a pretty exterior. And you gain self-satisfaction through real endeavor. There's no need to rebel or try to make yourself different. You feel different and you know you are and you don't have to prove it to yourself or anyone else. You find the pleasure in simply being.

It's like taking your first breath in a new world. And it just keeps getting better, more interesting, more wondrous. You are awakened to all the things you never knew about, the myriad of things you never even dreamed existed, the nuances of the world, even the same world you were just inhabiting at 16

And you'll be glad you were smart at 16, made the right choices, read a lot, learned as much as you could about yourself, other people, the natural world, the history of everything. Because all of a sudden, you can use it.

16 is a chrysalis.

Godfather
10-04-2006, 01:10 AM
depends on the who

Kate Thornton
10-04-2006, 01:17 AM
Everything does, Godfather. Look back and see if it's true...

Godfather
10-04-2006, 01:25 AM
its not a year that things happen in, everyday things change with me.

Rachael
10-04-2006, 04:04 AM
not the purty ones. not the right ones.

oh no, i'm no ladies man at all. woe is me woe is me.

*rages* You're saying I'm not pretty? Maybe not right for you, but I am pretty. When I'm not exhausted and run-down from a ton of homework. Speaking of which...

Anyways... 16 was rough, but it was a lot different than 17. At 16, everything was black and white, everything was altruistic, and everything was intensely emotional.

17 has been dark, angsty, and intensely emotional. Whereas at 16 I looked down on people who acted promiscuous and scoffed at their 'excuses', at 17 I became one of those people.

Stew21
10-04-2006, 04:07 AM
16 - everything was altruistic?

Rachael
10-04-2006, 04:13 AM
Unless you have a better way of saying it, yes. Everything was very clearcut... This is wrong, this is right. Now everything is a lot more blurred, although I still have pretty strong opinions on some things.

aadams73
10-04-2006, 04:20 AM
al‧tru‧is‧tic  /ˌ&#230;ltruˈɪstɪk/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[al-troo-is-tik] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective
1. unselfishly concerned for or devoted to the welfare of others (opposed to egoistic).

—Related forms
al‧tru‧is‧ti‧cal‧ly, adverb

—Synonyms 1. charitable, generous, philanthropic; benevolent, unselfish.

Stew21
10-04-2006, 04:22 AM
altruism n. Unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness

TsukiRyoko
10-04-2006, 09:56 AM
That seems to be the pattern for a lot of people. It's been different for me. AT 12-13, I went through the angsty, emotional period for about 8 months or so. From 13- 15, I was very apathetic and a complete b!tch. At 15, I began to party quite a bit, but quickly got over it before I turned 16. This recent year, I've made a complete turn around. I've become very ambitious, things are starting to straighten themselves out, and I've become less lazy. I've always looked down on sleeping with someone just for the sake of sleeping with them (not a common trait among most kids, unfortunately). I don't have many friends my age because I can't relate to many of them- too much drama and gossip,etc etc.

TsukiRyoko
10-04-2006, 09:59 AM
I just learned two new words. :)

TsukiRyoko
10-04-2006, 10:00 AM
Black and white has never applied much to me. I have always been able to recognize the various shades of gray they exist in the world. So many people fail to see just how wide the spectrum really is. Sad indeed.

Godfather
10-04-2006, 11:50 AM
yeah, 13 and 14 was my self-pity-teen-angst phase. i've now come to hate the mentality of different for the sake of being different.

and it used to be all black and white for me too, right and wrong. way i see it now, there is no right and wrong, it's all relative. grey grey grey, i've talked about it before. nothing are heaven and hell, time is the only of all. i said that once.

but, i've got a strong mind. i have my opinions on things, i have my way about things. but, i'm not that great to talk to. i just can't talk. so many thoughts are going through my head at once, that when i try to talk it comes out in a big ol' mess. often make a complete fool of myself. its annoying too, cos one of my best friends is the complete opposite. he has marvellous social skills, always knows what to say. in an argument, he'll always win. for the simple reason that he's able to say what he's thinking.

some day some day

and you know, it gets tough 'nuff. though i hate the term, people don't really understand me. cos i don't make much sense when i talk. about 3 - 4 people dig me. but they only dig my personality, nobody's ever been interested in my words. they've been interested in my photographs, sure, because they can use 'em

one day, one day.

TsukiRyoko
10-04-2006, 03:18 PM
yeah, 13 and 14 was my self-pity-teen-angst phase. i've now come to hate the mentality of different for the sake of being different. God those ages were horrifying. Not the age itself, simply the way I acted. If I could back in time with an eraser, 13ish would be the first on my hit list. Full of angst, depression, and slightly-suicidal-but-only-for-show dumbness, it wasn't my best defining moment...

but, i've got a strong mind. i have my opinions on things, i have my way about things. but, i'm not that great to talk to. i just can't talk. so many thoughts are going through my head at once, that when i try to talk it comes out in a big ol' mess. often make a complete fool of myself. its annoying too, cos one of my best friends is the complete opposite. he has marvellous social skills, always knows what to say. in an argument, he'll always win. for the simple reason that he's able to say what he's thinking.

I have my Social Skills Mask- whenever I put that baby on, I'm the most talkative person the world has ever seen. Once I take it off though, I get to show my true colors as an awkward recluse who wouldn't regret not ever seeing people again.

The only places I comfortable talking to people is
1. On the local abandoned bridge. If I sit on that bridge with a book in my hands, nothing can do me wrong. Some strange philosopher always comes around and sits to talk. I've had my best talks on a bridge with complete strangers.
2. In the library, because c'mon- it's the library.

I can't say nothing about the words that come out of your mouth, but the words that come out of your fingertips have impressed me so far. Keep 'em comin, I say.

Godfather
10-04-2006, 06:47 PM
i wouldn't erase anything. i've no regrets. what i did then makes me today.

i'd love to sit on a bridge and look deep and all that nonsense, but i'd be afraid for my life. i reside in stab city. i only feel safe in certain areas. its a shame, there aren't many types of people here to talk to. i'd almost know all the people, from seeing them around.

i hope to study in london when i'm done. that will be the place for me, i think. its one of my favourite places in the world. there's people, every type of person. its a city. things happen in cities. i want to meet people, philosophers, hoboes, poets and gypsies.

TsukiRyoko
10-04-2006, 07:06 PM
I would only erase it because it's one of the more embarrassing moments in my life. Defining, ye, worthy of pride? Not in the least.

Even here in hunky dory WV, it's still pretty dangerous to be alone on an abandoned bridge. I've had quite a few creepies come my way. No fear, Andrea, for pepperspray is at hand! The people that don't get peppersprayed give amazingly rewarding prizes, too. Lots of new ideas and perspectives to mull over for a time.

I would like to live in stab city as a test to see how well I'd do on Survivor -Street Style (trust me, that show will happen).

London would be an amazing place to go. If I ever get more than a hunk of change, I'm going to do some travelling. London is in the top 5 of my travel list. If you go before me, I hope you know that you are obligated to send me back a souvenir. :)

Godfather
10-04-2006, 07:20 PM
its embarassing, yes. i have quite an embarassing past, but its mine. mine to be ashamed of and learn from.

sitting on an abandoned bridge reading. sounds fun. really it does. stab city... ah, its not nice to live in fear. though its not fear like other people experience, its fear.
somehow, i've never been in a fight. but i have had to pull people off my friends, or vice versa. that can result in being hit. but i'm a lover not a fighter. i just have to prove it to the rest of the world.

and i've been to london. many times. born there. its my 2nd home. nice neighbourhood too.

TsukiRyoko
10-04-2006, 07:31 PM
It gets boring here in sh!t creek. Not much to do BUT fight. I've gotten into so many fights I've lost count (funny, I haven't started one of them yet; I swear these hills make people go nuts.)
Crazy rednecks....

Oh, now I really am jealous. What's London like- not just socially, but geographically as well?

Godfather
10-04-2006, 07:46 PM
i dunno how i'd be in a fight. hmmm... maybe girls like fighters, and maybe thats where my problem lies....... hmmm... some day some day.

london london london. what a city! geographically, i don't really know. because i don't really know what the question is... but its a fantastic city. london and paris. down and in, up and out. i want to dig all scenes of interest there.

TsukiRyoko
10-04-2006, 07:52 PM
No, no, that's an incorrect assumption that's often made. Most girls like the gentle guys, not the fighters, because the fighters are more likely to beat the living crap out them in 30+ years. Plus, excessive muscle tone (not tone, bulge) is a lot less attractive than the commercials said it was.... Battle wounds are pretty nifty things though- I guess the fighters do have that going for 'em.

My cousin was lucky enough to go to London, and was dense enough to forget her camera (or stuff me in cargo, either way I would have been excited). Bah, c'est la vie.

Godfather
10-05-2006, 01:09 AM
ah, just musing on thoughts. i don't know how girls think. girls are a different species. i never was much to understand other people, but i can empathise. hmmm... how silly of me. now lets see, i'm horribly unfit and have no battle wounds. but i have smooth skin, which is almost always clear. and i got styyyyyyyyyyle. or so i think. which may not correspond to anybody elses style or opinions on style. hmmm.... maybe i should burn my wardrobe. in the back of my head; today, wardrobes are burned. people are left looking at the ashes, left to stand naked.

london london london is a wonderful place. i recently found out about something called speaking corner or some such. a corner where people gather, and people can get up and say whatever in the hell they please.

freedom of speech
not out of reach.

jbal
10-05-2006, 01:20 AM
Y'all are making me feel old. Stop this thread at once!

Kate Thornton
10-05-2006, 01:25 AM
Y'all are making me feel old. Stop this thread at once!
Oh, jbal, come over and sit with me - it's almost voyeuristic in here. Watch them!

aadams73
10-05-2006, 02:12 AM
I'll share my popcorn and cookies with you both. It's so much fun watching the kiddies.

jbal
10-05-2006, 02:26 AM
good, we hijacked this thread successfully then. Thanks for the cookies;)

TsukiRyoko
10-05-2006, 03:50 AM
That's often said, that girls are a different species. The extent to which they are different is usually underestimated. Men aren't the only one who can't seem to understand women, women don't understand women half the time.

Or perhaps I'm just too shady?

Speaking corner- if we had those here, we'd be shot :(. That would be cool to attend one, to feel free to get up at any moment and blurt whatever comes your way.

TsukiRyoko
10-05-2006, 03:51 AM
Your only too old if you can't keep up ;).

jbal
10-05-2006, 03:53 AM
Hey, I hijacked this thread fair and square!

aadams73
10-05-2006, 03:53 AM
Not only can we keep up, but we can overtake you youngin's. Who do you think started the race? :)

Plus we have more money to buy cookies.

jbal
10-05-2006, 03:55 AM
A little more

TsukiRyoko
10-05-2006, 03:55 AM
Not only can we keep up, but we can overtake you youngin's.

Is that a bet? ;)

Oh man, cookies are good. I didn't know you guys were holding out on me (so cruel...).

jbal
10-05-2006, 03:56 AM
where's that "heh" smiley?

Godfather
10-05-2006, 07:16 PM
you may have more money, but how many can you eat before you just... can't... eat... another.... bite. due to cholestrol, blood pressure and whatnot.

as regards corners for speaking, find yerself an open mic poetry night, and jazz up your speech with unconventional line breaks.

well i dunno, women are (ack, dare i say) amazing. (well the right ones are).
when taken care of, they're physically beautiful (pretty much everywhere, unlike we men).
but i think there's something about the personality of a woman that gets me. if a girl takes any sort of interest in me (not in that way, necessarily) i mean, if she talks to me. then its kabloom there goes my world.

TsukiRyoko
10-05-2006, 07:58 PM
but i think there's something about the personality of a woman that gets me. if a girl takes any sort of interest in me (not in that way, necessarily) i mean, if she talks to me. then its kabloom there goes my world

Ha, sounds like me after I ditched normal highschool. Now that my skills with relationships are rusty, I get flustered very easily and everything gets thrown upside down. Meh.

Godfather
10-05-2006, 10:20 PM
ah, my reaction to people (girls mainly) depends entirely on my perception of them. if i'm told for a year that this person is boring, and then i meet them for the first time. i'll expect them to be boring, and probably treat them as a boring person.

i just finished a three page essay on hitler, all (foolishly) done in one night. i even mentioned captain beefheart!