Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm considering entering a play to a contest. Their guidelines state:

Full length and One-Act plays are eligible

Is there usually a time frame expected to fit into one act? I know this is a crazy question. I have only written four plays in my life and only one was staged. I'm not familiar with all the ins and outs. I have a completed one act play, but if there is no time frame within the guidelines...does that mean it's open or there is a prescribed time that I don't know about?

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
If it doesn't specify in their guidelines, I don't think it really matters. Most One Act plays I've been involved in usually run between 20 and 40 minutes. But I guess as long as you can keep an audience in their seats and happy is about the right amount of time. Depends also on how long it takes for you to set your scene, your characters, and tell your story. Personally I wouldn't go much over an hour for a One-Act.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks much, Mandy Jane. Just as I thought...mine is approx. 25 minutes as it stands. Thank you.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like Mandy-Jane, I think your 25-minute one-act sounds fine. I'm guessing they're assuming any one-act is going to come in under 40 or 45 minutes, tops, and run at least 15 or 20.

What's it about?

Maryn, who's written one whole play, woo-hoo