Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonarbabe

Working In A Coal Mine...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
My heroine is going on a fictional cruise ship, so I can make up quite a bit since I've never been on one, but there's one question I can't seem to figure out through my online reading from different cruise lines. Which deck do passengers board on? I would imagine it's the main deck, but I'm not sure. Can someone help me out? Which deck and if y'all can remember, give me a general idea what it looks like so I can fine tune it to fit what I have in mind for my story. I would greatly appreciate the help.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Yes.. cruising is the ultimate.. boarding is usually on deck 4 or 5 depending on the size of the ship,, (like size matters) it is the perfect setting for a book,, I am acutally working on a sizzler right now where my main character takes full advantage onboard

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
Perfect! Thank you! I was taking a look at the Carnival Ecstasy deck plans (only as a reference) and I noticed the Grand Atrium, but it doesn't start until deck 4, so your response corresponds beautifully! :Hug2: You're a lifesaver. (No pun intended)

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
Sonarbabe said:
My heroine is going on a fictional cruise ship, so I can make up quite a bit since I've never been on one, but there's one question I can't seem to figure out through my online reading from different cruise lines. Which deck do passengers board on? I would imagine it's the main deck, but I'm not sure. Can someone help me out? Which deck and if y'all can remember, give me a general idea what it looks like so I can fine tune it to fit what I have in mind for my story. I would greatly appreciate the help.

Went on a cruise last August and by "which deck does a passanger board" do you mean? When they first check on?

When they come back from a shore excursion?

If you have them come on for the first time, it's going to be the 'main deck' where all the really impressive stuff is: the grand staircase, the nice lobby, where the receptionist is. That first impression stuff.

After shore excursions? It's going to depend on the port. We boarded/disembarked from various decks depending on the port. Once we even did come off the fourth deck (which was fun cause it was usually the 'underwater' deck and down by most of the crew quarters).

But if it's when they FIRST come one, it'll be the main deck.

(don't forget to have your character 'sanitize' their hands when they come on and grumble about the 'mandatory safety drill' they have to do before the boat sets sail.)

Rabe...

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
I've taught on several cruises. The answer is, it depends. I don't think there's a rule. I've been on several Holland America Ships of different vintages and on the QE2, and they are all different. They have the deck plans online, so you can actually get a map of the ship and all it's levels. So, it makes sense to call the deck where they board at the cruise ship terminal the "main deck" if you want to. Nobody will fault you on it.

An excellent source of information would be the cruise review sites, where travel agents and "real" people describe their cruise experiences, sometimes in great detail.

One of the cruises I was on, I interviewed the security officer about jurisdiction, just in case I wanted to write a mystery set on a ship. :) Hasn't happened...yet.

Just reread more of the thread - The QE2 is boarded in the central lobby, which is circular, with a lower center section and raised sort of gallery around the outer edge that leads to the passageways of the ship. The old Westerdam was boarded into a square lobby area, not particularly remarkable, but it was a space with one of the main staircases and banks of elevators with access to the other decks. A string trio (Hungarian) played while people boarded. These are older ships and the area you go into when first boarding is not at all spectacular. That's a change that came with newer ships, I think.

Some of the cruise web sites have a virtual tour of the public spaces - take a look at them.

Last edited:

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Sonarbabe said:
Perfect! Thank you! I was taking a look at the Carnival Ecstasy deck plans (only as a reference) and I noticed the Grand Atrium, but it doesn't start until deck 4, so your response corresponds beautifully! :Hug2: You're a lifesaver. (No pun intended)

Your entirely welcome, cruising is my most favorite,, if I can help more,, just let me know. As the great Erica Jong says in her list of 20 rules to writers, if your going to write a story about your heroine going to Tahiti, then you must go to Tahiti, not to research, but to smell, see, feel...

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Jongfan said:
Your entirely welcome, cruising is my most favorite,, if I can help more,, just let me know. As the great Erica Jong says in her list of 20 rules to writers, if your going to write a story about your heroine going to Tahiti, then you must go to Tahiti, not to research, but to smell, see, feel...

You would also benefit going on at least a short trip,, your heroine better pack patience for boarding and dissembarkation day,, gruelling, no wonder they spoil you while on board...I am surprised more hostage situations dont occur on those two days.... but the rest is bliss

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
i just returned from my first cruise and I loved it! You never have to leave the ship! I didn't want to, anyway.
We boarded on the fourth deck but the worse part was that mandatory safety drill. It was so hot and they made us stand on the deck, facing the sun, for 30 minutes - while wearing those dumb life jackets - mine didn't fit right and it was up around my neck.

You might have the same thing on the Carnival Cruises - but I went on Royal Caribbean and they have lots of cool pics here: (including deck plans and virtual tours) but I would also recommend you stop by a travel agent and pick up one of their glossy 8x10 booklets - with pictures of everything on deck. I got one before my cruise and it sure helped me understand what to expect on the ship.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/finda...006IiRBogCmZiPjhc5yHedm_d:10ktdmods?cS=NAVBAR

Sonarbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sonarbabe.com
You guys have been amazingly helpful. Since this is a Harlequin Blaze with a very humorous twist, I can just picture my heroine going through the safety drill. :ROFL:

Jongfan: If I had the money...and weren't hydrophobic, I would love to go on a cruise. The ironic thing is, my heroine is hydrophobic too. Hehehe

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
I've been on a cruise only last July (to Alaska) and that was with Celebrity Cruises, ship's called "Infinity". We boarded on deck 4, but most of the times we had to leave for an excursion on deck 3.

Nickie

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Hydrophobe...well that is a shame, I have been on Princess, Carnival, Norweigan, and Royal, my favorite is Princess. I coerced my mother and father , neither whom will fly or now how to swim, tried it and loved it. Please whatever you do, do not let the drab "Love Boat" show influence you.
Think of what relaxes you most, and puts you in awe at the same time. My fav destination is the Carribbean, most beautiful sunsets in the world. You meet people from all over the world. The staff on board can't do enough for you, most crew members are from foreign lands, earning higher pay, but very friendly. I find myself drawn to them, getting their story, how hard it is to work 9 months on a ship, with only 3 months off to be with their families.

Where it would be financially impossible for you, please ask me anything..

Status
Not open for further replies.