Manuscript? Editor? Publisher?

bluemonarc

Registered
Reaction score
<b>Manuscript? Editor? Publisher?</b>

I have these writings. Humor writings. The kind of writings like Dennis Miller or Jenny McCarthy writings. No fantastic novel that took me many years to dream up but a bunch of thoughts and observations that went on through out my life.

I need to get this book made. They tell me I need a manuscript. But what should my manuscript look like?

I really want the book to be mysterious looking with a journal type feel but not so mixed up.

Should I get a agent?
An editor?
Should I self-publish or not?

Please guide me in the right direction.

I know the light bulb will come on sooner or later.

Last edited:

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Dude, you've posted this same message seven times in twenty minutes, at what is 4 am my time which means it's late at night/early in the morning for a lot of people. Is this really a matter of life or death?

Google "manuscript format". Familiarize yourself with the plethora of information offered on this board--spend some time actually reading it all. Spend some time reading books of this type-humorous essays, etc. See how you think yours fits in.

Try to get an agent or editor before you self-publish.

Hope that helps.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Most publishers want to see a double spaced manuscript in Courier 12pt, or Times New Roman 12pt.

You can set space between lines to 24 pt, and turn off "Widows and Orphans" and get a page that will average out to about 250 words a page.

Print out on good white bond paper in true black, only on ONE side of the paper, number your pages and put with the numbers a Header like: Your Name/Title pg#

First page has your legal name, address, phone number, e-mail addres on one side followed halfway down the page by the
title of the book centered,
the name you wish to appear on the manuscript
Genre
number of words​

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'd have to see some of the text to give you a valid opinion. :\

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does posting the same message on almost every board within the forum count as spamming?

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried submitting some of the individual stories to short story markets? As I understand it, you'll have a better chance of publishing a collection of stories after you've sold some of them to prestigious magazines.

Someone asked a sort of similar question (as to the market for short humorous stories) of Miss Snark in the last day or two, mentioning David Sedaris as a role model. Check out his career.

Also, go to the library or bookstore and take a look at the books similar to yours. Make a note of the publishers as places you can look up on-line to learn their submission requirements. Also read the authors' bios to see what credentials they had when they submitted. Obviously Dennis Miller has television credentials that David Sedaris didn't have when he got published, but Sedaris did have a bunch of credentials. Then, see about getting yourself some credentials.

JD

JerseyGirl1962

I heart Malamutes! :-)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And, blue, please don't post this all over these boards. Pick one spot. If it's in the wrong area, a mod will come by and put it in the correct place.

Good luck to you.

~Nancy

bluemonarc

Registered
Reaction score
why would it be

Actually I am a real person who is looking for help so instead of the tattle taling could anyone please help me out. I posted to get as many answers as I could.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
What you're asking will take a while, so I won't be able to do it all in one post thanks to time constraints.

First, what is it you're writing? Your discussion title says literary but your post says humor. If it's humor, you're likely better to direct your question to that forum -- if you haven't already -- because I know next-to-nothing about it.

Only do self-publishing if you want just a few people to see it. If you have something you think has mass appeal, get your work in shape and query agents.

Getting the manuscript in shape involves more than just appearance. It involves storyline, plotting, pacing, etc. The appearance is 1"-1 1/2" margins, double-spaced, Times New Roman or Courier 12-point font.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How much (if anything) of this book have you put together? Do you just have a bunch of short essays or pieces you've done over the years in no order? How much of this do you have (approximately how many words)?

And do you hope to sell it, or is this mainly just to share with friends and family?

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
You need to do research--your questions are way too complex and broad to expect an easy answer.

Take the the time to explore and search this site [and others] to find some answers to your queries.

bluemonarc

Registered
Reaction score
I have pages and pages of this. I have to write it out at some point to actually get it out to people. No order what so ever. That's my problem.

I want to sell this. Trust me this stuff is good.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
If you want to sell it, you have to write it first. :)

You've been told what manuscript format is in several places. Start writing! Post excerpts here for critique, so you can get it polished and submission-ready.

Very eager to see it!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
bluemonarc said:
I have pages and pages of this. I have to write it out at some point to actually get it out to people. No order what so ever. That's my problem.

I want to sell this. Trust me this stuff is good.

You have pages and pages of it, but you haven't written it out yet? I'm confused now....

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Your first step is to organize all your pages. Categorize them by topics or themes or whatever. Politics? Human nature? Stupid pet tricks?... etc.

Then you need to sit down and actually type them up. If you don't have a computer, go to a library.

Then you need to come up with a proposal. Get a book on writing book proposals. You need to convince an agent or an editor that:

a) this book deserves to be published and read
b) this book is unique yet marketable
c) this book is GREAT

You have to decide what kind of book this should be: A chapbook? A gift book? One of those short books you find in the Humor section with big fonts and pictures? Etc. etc. Come up with a marketing plan, and how you want to do with these pages and pages of material.

Don't contact an agent/editor until you have a good plan.

Last edited:

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
Why don’t you just start revising the writings? Combine all the writings by using subject matters as chapters. Or, you can setup the chapters as journal entries, by date, and focus on a quip for the day or week. Just my two cents.

AmyBA

I'm a believer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amyba.com
Hi bluemonarc! While I appreciate your enthusiasm, I know others have already responded in the other forums where you've asked these same questions and they've given you a lot of good advice, starting wth Uncle Jim's reply to you; I'd suggest you start with their advice and then if you have any specific life story writing questions, feel free to come on back and post them and I'm sure we'll do our best to help. Good luck!

blacksummer_88

I need to get this book made. They tell me I need a manuscript. But what should my manuscript look like?
A manuscript is basically a printed copy of your completed article, it looks like a stack of paper basically, and you should send it out with sufficient postage to have it returned if it's rejected, and depending on the size, probably have it in a box so it's less likely to be damaged. Hold it together with paperclips, NOT staples, publishers HATE staples, and print it in double line spacing in a decent sized font (12/14).

I really want the book to be mysterious looking with a journal type feel but not so mixed up.
Tell the publishers that in your letter, but dont send it out looking all pretty, they do that for you.

Should I get a agent? Agents are useful, but not a neccesity if you feel you can represent yourself well enough, though it is harder if you're unsolicited.

An editor? They usually edit your work for you upon accepting it for publication, they'll send it back saying 'make these changes and we'll publish'

Should I self-publish or not? It's easy to get conned, though for starting writers it's sometimes the only option, you are likely to lose a LOT of money.

There are thousands of sites that will help you out much better than me.

cinders23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreamersperch.blogspot.com
Work on finishing the book first. It's not good to be thinking too far ahead. I can tell by your question of "What does a manuscript look like." You're not ready to consider the other questions. Study writing, study formatting of manuscripts, find people to critique your work. There are many good books out there on writing most can be found in the library. An author shouldn't need to hire their own editor unless they decide to self-publish. Any editor or agent you submit to these days wants your grammar to be perfect..so if it isn't start studying.

There is a lot to self-publishing with many different ways to go about, involving many pros and cons. Don't think about that yet. Focus on the writing.

Cindy.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Do you have some kind of hook? What would make people want to buy this book?

wee

just a little
Registered
Reaction score
Should I get a agent? Yes! :hooray:

An editor?
Your agent will find the editor for you, much more efficiently.

Should I self-publish or not? No! :rant::Soapbox: :rant: I mean, that is an individual choice only you can make.

I know the light bulb will come on sooner or later. ...It's not a light bulb. It is a few hours spent researching here & elsewhere, and a gradual understanding of what one should be doing.

:poke: (My answer submitted above)