Legal Sci-Fi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raelwv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jdbyrne.net
Given my day job, I'm interested in reading some sci-fi that deals with legal issues in various sci-fi settings. Can anybody point me towards any books/stories like that?

Thanks,

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I was just wondering if there are some good stories that deal with legal issues/court cases/etc in a fantasy setting.

As for sci fi... I remember once reading a novel where the state of California puts an alien on trial for murder, and the alien gets defended by a celebrity lawyer. Much of the book focused on the trial. Can't remember the title, sorry. Or even if it was any good.

Popeyesays

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump, by Harry Turtledove examines the environmental enforcement problems of a society that depends upon magic instead of industry. The main character is a federal inspector who is wondering why there have been so many cases of infants born without souls in the vicinity of a spell dumpground.

A great story---people fly around on magic carpets which have their own traffic laws. People talk on telephones that use imps contained within the instrument to relay messages in your ear.

It deals with legal environmental issues in a truly strange and wondrous world.

Regards,
Scott

Deleted member 42

raelwv said:
Given my day job, I'm interested in reading some sci-fi that deals with legal issues in various sci-fi settings. Can anybody point me towards any books/stories like that?

Thanks,

Bujold does a fair amount as a back drop for her military/space opera books a out Miles Vorkosigan.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
rosemerry said:
What about the series 'Alien Nation' It has an alien/human cop partners working the streets of LA.

Ooooooh, Alien Nation. :hooray:

Another DVD set on my Wish List. There is a series of seven novels based on the show, as well. I've read some of them, and they are fairly decent for tie-in's. Especially "Slag Like Me." You can probably find them on eBay, if interested.

Ordinary_Guy

Industrial Strength
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
beezle said:
...As for sci fi... I remember once reading a novel where the state of California puts an alien on trial for murder, and the alien gets defended by a celebrity lawyer...
Actually, the charge was child molestation and... nevermind. Sorry. Different alien.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Ha.

Diane Duane's Stealing the Elf King's Roses is a fantasy police procedural. Not the same as a legal story, I know; courts and lawyers not involved. But interesting.

But... yeah huh, I'm mostly drawing a blank. That's kind of interesting.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I could if my sci-fi series ever gets picked up.

Setting it about sixty years in the future, not only with added tech but added human potential, I've come up with a bunch of legal backstory to include Supreme Court decisions regarding the constitutionality of forced genetic testing and registration of metahumans. Even created an entire new governmental department concerned *only* with the implementation and enforcement of metahuman regulations.

And yeah, the main characters are mostly all agents of this government entity.

Rabe...

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Just remembered. Marissa Lingen has a legal SF short story, Fair Use. S'not my favourite of her stories but it's interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.