I'm becoming a pessimist.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
Is it bad when you see Inbox (1) and automatically think "rejection?" Oh well, I've still got the SASE's...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
It's worse when your inbox makes your heart palpitate and your fingers get all trembly.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
When I see that Inbox (1), I think, "Another rejection," and if it's something positive, am happily surprised. This is what the publishing process has done to me!

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
Last year, I had a manuscript that got a bunch of requests for partials and fulls...and some great feedback from agents for whose services I'd almost kill (I simply cannot end a sentence with a preposition...sorry). That manuscript didn't get me representation, but it gave me hope that I could write something good, something good enough to sell. So where I once saw the inbox and assumed it was another request for a partial, now I automatically reach for my submissions spreadsheet and get ready to log another no.

And what very little feedback I've gotten so far points me in the direction of independent presses...so maybe I'll have better luck there.

And yes, there once was a trembly feeling associated with my inbox. I long for those days...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Inbox(1) usually means another $30 million from Nigeria.

Rejection is nothing to fear... it means your work is out there making rounds and editors/agents are reading them. It's a good thing.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
I'd prefer a rejection in my "in" box any day over nothing at all.
A rejection usually spurs me to send out at least three more queries. Sometimes it contains useful information.
Nothing at all gets me dangerously close to doing something foolish, like following up with a phone call or another email or trying to get in contact with professors from twenty years ago who used to rave about my work to see if they can recommend me to their agents.

By the way, this book you went around with last year--have you sent your new manuscript to any of the agents who saw it?

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
popmuze said:
I'd prefer a rejection in my "in" box any day over nothing at all.
A rejection usually spurs me to send out at least three more queries. Sometimes it contains useful information.
Nothing at all gets me dangerously close to doing something foolish, like following up with a phone call or another email or trying to get in contact with professors from twenty years ago who used to rave about my work to see if they can recommend me to their agents.

By the way, this book you went around with last year--have you sent your new manuscript to any of the agents who saw it?

Yeah, and they remember me. I get stuff like, "Thanks, Zarch, for querying me this time, too. But I'll pass."

Totally different genre...so maybe that's why. In fact, it's not genre. Maybe THAT'S why.

SeanDSchaffer

Don't be down, Zarch. We all go through what you mentioned. You are getting your work out there, like Maestro said. It's good, because it means you're moving forward in your writing career.

Good luck to you, and like the old saying goes, keep on keeping on.

:)

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2:

Like they said, rejection is better than nothing - at least you're trying, and working toward the ultimate goal.

I see Inbox (1) or even Inbox (20) and I think Spam.

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
Just checked the ol' inbox.

Huh. How 'bout that. I'll keep you posted.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
YOU TEASE!

(By the way, I see my inbox and think, "Hate mail. Legal threats. Spam. Pains in my @sses. Stalkers." Now that's pessimistic.)

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Unless you want to count all of us as, well, resident donkeys. :D

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
I've set up my inbox to send everything but writing-related stuff to my bulk mail...so I pretty much know that Inbox (1) means I've got something from an agent.

I've rewritten my query about twelve times, and it looks like I've finally got a nibble. Interestingly, on my latest revision, I decided I was going to slash the letter in half and see if I get better results. Who knew?

And yeah, I still get weird stuff sometimes...the "hate your job? make six thousand dollars a day stuffing envelopes" stuff...

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
SherryTex said:
I want a nibble. Even a no.

I was getting ready to respond to this, but I realized I don't know the spelling for the plural form of "no."

Nos?

Noes?

Man, they both look funny.

At any rate, I agree. Sometimes no answer is a thousand times worse than a no.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Heck, I've never held my breath over my inbox. I passed out blue in the face years ago doing that. I've already got my second and third tier publishers (recommendations) ready to send to my agent. Don't even expect the biggies to pick me up. I'm getting down to PODDY territory now, until I finish editing those other four books and get them ready to hit the market.

Tri

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
As discouraging as the ol' inbox is...every SINGLE time an agent has requested material from me, it's been in response to an emailed query. I guess that's like, maybe 15 times...all emails. That inbox drives me crazy.

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
Dang, I need to post here more often. Yesterday, I got a request for a partial...from an independent press. In an SASE, no less!

Status
Not open for further replies.