Let's go Mets!!! (AKA, let's talk baseball playoffs.)

So who is gonna win the World Series?

• New York Metropolitans

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • New York Yankees (formerly the New York Highlanders)

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Detroit Tigers

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Minnesota Twins (formerly the Washington Senators)

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Oakland Athletics (formerly the Philadelphia and later, Kansas City Athletics)

• Los Angeles Dodgers (once the Brooklyn Dodgers)

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • St. Louis Cardinals

• San Diego Padres

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orlando Bloom

Votes: 5 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Hopefully that'll bring the indignant Yanks fans to this thread. So I'm interested in everybody's point of view, and where you're coming from, and a bit of thoughts on each of your teams. Who will win the World Series? Or do you not care?

Casual fans, just vote in the darned poll. Everyone else let's hear some noise about the October classic!

I'm a Mets fan. From where I stand they look like the class of the NL, but that starting rotation worries me. Pedro's not right, Glavine's been erratic, and El Duque is 58 years old. But that lineup is about the only one that you can stack against any of the AL lineups, and the bullpen is steady and shouldn't be a problem. That lineup reminds me a bit of the 1996 Yanks, actually -- a few big hitters (Delgado, Beltran, Wright) with some interesting fill-in pieces that kinda showed up outta nowhere (Valentin, Endy Chavez), sort of like how the Yanks had Tino, Bernie and Jeter, and filled in with the likes of Charlie Hayes, Tim Raines and Jim Leyritz.

Besides, the other NL teams are all seriously flawed, to wit:

--The Dodgers don't have anything in that rotation that's particularly scary, and the hitting is good but not great.
--The Padres have a weak offense, decent starters, and a stellar bullpen.
--After Chris Carpenter, I just don't get scared by anybody in that starting rotation the Cardinals are trotting out there.
--The Phillies have injuries in the pen and a shaky rotation.

Of course this leaves the AL. As much as I'd like to see the Twins knock off the stupid Yanks, I don't see it happening. The Yanks have solid hitting all the way through, man, but again, it's the pitching that's an issue. Which Unit will we get, the semi-crappy-but-competent 2005 version or the prone-to-blowing-up 2006 version? Will Mussina stay healthy? Isn't Jaret Wright kinda lousy? Is Chein Ming-Wang REALLY the best pitcher they're throwing out there this year? I think they take the Twins, if you have Wang pitch game 1 and hopefully ground-ball the Twins to death and steal one from Santana; after that, then they outplay 'em. Then there's the Yanks bullpen -- if Rivera's healthy it eases a lot of problems. If he's not, I think they don't stand much of a chance. Villone and Procter are overworked, and you can't count on Farnsworth.

I just don't see the Tigers being able to stay with the Yanks, though, but they and the A's both have better pitching, and the A's have done a lot in a lineup that has a few big big holes in it, like at 3B, where Chavez sucks this year, and SS, where Crosby sucks (thanks for pegging him as the MVP, Peter Gammons, you jerk).

Anyone else wanna rumble on this?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well I nearly fainted last night when my Mariners pulled off a win against the A's ! Is the AL clinched yet? I hate the Yankees, so my money's on the A's.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going with the Twins (based purely on who I want to win the World Series). Cards, Tigers, Padres, A's - all acceptable outcomes.

The worst possible matchup - Yankees vs. Dodgers. As painful as it would be, that's the one scenario where I would actually root for the Yankees.

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a Cubs fan trapped in Astro-land. I voted for the Twins because I pretty much hate the Cardinals and Yankees. The Dodgers are boring, and the A's won't be able to beat anyone else in the AL. The Tigers peaked way too early. The Padres don't have the pitching to win a playoff series (or any series; what are they even doing in the freaking playoffs?). So I'll say Twins and Mets in the World Series. Santana will pitch Game 7 of the Series, and it'll go into extra innings. Liriano will pitch the eleventh inning and get the win.

Reaction score
The Mets are absolutely falling apart at the seems. They are their only roadblock right now. If they can somehow right a sinking ship they will make it to the World Series. If not, it's another disappointing ending for the players and fans who reside in that blue monstrosity out in Flushing.

The Yankees have only one man standing in front of a trip to the World Series.

Johann Santana. That's it and that's all.

But I aint that worried. We handled him two years in the exact same scenario. It shouldn't be a problem and then I REALLY am not worried abou the Tigers or the A's. If I didn't believe in the jinx of overconfidence, I'd laugh. I'd laugh out loud for all to hear I tell ya!!

There is a tremendous chance that there will be a Subway series.

The Mets and Yankees virtually have no resistance in either league. Phillies are scrappy and could give the Mets a run, but I don't see it.

But both teams better play up to their potential.

Right now the Yankees are a juggernaut and the Mets are in a freefall.

But I'm excited. Very excited.

One week from today.

It's on.

Holla.

Yankees.jpg

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
grrrr. Damn Yankees.

I think there's a musical in that somewhere, hmmmm.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
"Sixth game in the world series and the current highlight is a cloud shaped like a giraffe that floated by during the rain delay. And look at that! The batter just called time out again. Now let's look in the stands with the player's wives. Oh what do you know! They're talking on cell phones. No doubt complaining about the good life."

Sorry. Don't really know a lot about baseball. Does Jeter still do that thing where some guy sits in the stands with a radar gun, measures the speed of the pitches and then signals down the info? That always struck me as taking things a little too far.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Orlando Bloom, folks, Orlando Bloom. No doubt about it.

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
But now the Twins have Liriano...he's a beast. The Yankees have to get past both. Would you take any two of the Yankee starters over Santana and Liriano? I wouldn't.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yanks have to be favorites right now -- then again, it's been a while since they closed the deal, at least for them. (Nope, the Red Sox haven't measured up this year, and they may not even finish second. Hats off to the Evil Empire, I'm afraid.)

Tigers have had their slump, and they're coming back into form. Three straight wins, and finishing with a six-game homestand, Jays and Royals.

Bless You, Boys!

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
The Mets are absolutely falling apart at the seems.
Seams.

You're overstating it by a lot, man. Starting pitchers are a patchwork right now for sure and they need Pedro to get healthy and have his head right. But the lineup and bullpen all looks good. They're also resting a lot of guys. Hard to say they're "falling apart" when they've already got the #1 seed.

The Yankees have to get past both. Would you take any two of the Yankee starters over Santana and Liriano? I wouldn't.
Liriano still injured, no?

Reaction score
zarch said:
But now the Twins have Liriano...he's a beast. The Yankees have to get past both. Would you take any two of the Yankee starters over Santana and Liriano? I wouldn't.

Liriano is hurt and will not be pitching for the rest of the year.

Reaction score
TheGaffer said:
You're overstating it by a lot, man. Starting pitchers are a patchwork right now for sure and they need Pedro to get healthy and have his head right. But the lineup and bullpen all looks good. They're also resting a lot of guys. Hard to say they're "falling apart" when they've already got the #1 seed.

It's a sad sad sad state of affairs. Read about it and weep.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/plum_met_ing_mets_michael_morrissey.htm

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
TheGaffer said:
Hopefully that'll bring the indignant Yanks fans to this thread. So I'm interested in everybody's point of view, and where you're coming from, and a bit of thoughts on each of your teams. Who will win the World Series? Or do you not care?

Casual fans, just vote in the darned poll. Everyone else let's hear some noise about the October classic!

I'm a Mets fan. From where I stand they look like the class of the NL, but that starting rotation worries me. Pedro's not right, Glavine's been erratic, and El Duque is 58 years old. But that lineup is about the only one that you can stack against any of the AL lineups, and the bullpen is steady and shouldn't be a problem. That lineup reminds me a bit of the 1996 Yanks, actually -- a few big hitters (Delgado, Beltran, Wright) with some interesting fill-in pieces that kinda showed up outta nowhere (Valentin, Endy Chavez), sort of like how the Yanks had Tino, Bernie and Jeter, and filled in with the likes of Charlie Hayes, Tim Raines and Jim Leyritz.

Besides, the other NL teams are all seriously flawed, to wit:

--The Dodgers don't have anything in that rotation that's particularly scary, and the hitting is good but not great.
--The Padres have a weak offense, decent starters, and a stellar bullpen.
--After Chris Carpenter, I just don't get scared by anybody in that starting rotation the Cardinals are trotting out there.
--The Phillies have injuries in the pen and a shaky rotation.

Of course this leaves the AL. As much as I'd like to see the Twins knock off the stupid Yanks, I don't see it happening. The Yanks have solid hitting all the way through, man, but again, it's the pitching that's an issue. Which Unit will we get, the semi-crappy-but-competent 2005 version or the prone-to-blowing-up 2006 version? Will Mussina stay healthy? Isn't Jaret Wright kinda lousy? Is Chein Ming-Wang REALLY the best pitcher they're throwing out there this year? I think they take the Twins, if you have Wang pitch game 1 and hopefully ground-ball the Twins to death and steal one from Santana; after that, then they outplay 'em. Then there's the Yanks bullpen -- if Rivera's healthy it eases a lot of problems. If he's not, I think they don't stand much of a chance. Villone and Procter are overworked, and you can't count on Farnsworth.

I just don't see the Tigers being able to stay with the Yanks, though, but they and the A's both have better pitching, and the A's have done a lot in a lineup that has a few big big holes in it, like at 3B, where Chavez sucks this year, and SS, where Crosby sucks (thanks for pegging him as the MVP, Peter Gammons, you jerk).

Anyone else wanna rumble on this?

Dodgers have matched up well against the Mets. We've got (ahem) relatively solid starters, except for (inexplicably) Brad Penny right now. Our bullpen is sh*t, but other than that I think we can give the Mets a solid run.

St. Louis is collapsing and if they even make it in, they'll likely complete their choke in the first round. That puts the Dodgers and padres in the NL championship game, and unfortunately the Pads have owned the Dodgers this year. So we either get lucky in this round or go home.

Either way, whatever NL team makes it all the way gets utterly crushed by whatever AL team's waiting for them.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
zarch said:
I'm a Cubs fan trapped in Astro-land. I voted for the Twins because I pretty much hate the Cardinals and Yankees. The Dodgers are boring, and the A's won't be able to beat anyone else in the AL. The Tigers peaked way too early. The Padres don't have the pitching to win a playoff series (or any series; what are they even doing in the freaking playoffs?). So I'll say Twins and Mets in the World Series. Santana will pitch Game 7 of the Series, and it'll go into extra innings. Liriano will pitch the eleventh inning and get the win.

Dodgers are boring?

Seen too many back-to-back-to-back-to-back 9th inning comebacks, have you?

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
billythrilly7th said:
Liriano is hurt and will not be pitching for the rest of the year.

Seems as though you are correct. I have to admit, I stopped following baseball closely when the Cubs were eliminated in June.

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
dclary said:
Dodgers are boring?

Seen too many back-to-back-to-back-to-back 9th inning comebacks, have you?

For a non-Dodger fan, they are boring in the same way the Yankees are boring. Historically a solid franchise with rich history...but...hell, what do I know; I'm a Cubs fan.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
As a Cubs fan that had to suffer through listening to Sox fans talk about the Cubs choking a few years back at the end of the season, and then suffer through last year when the Sox managed to win it all, I was content to watch the Sox choke this year. (I knew when Lee broke his wrist when the Cubs were 14 and 10 that this year was already over....wait til next year! LOL)

Anyway, as for the World Series it gets complicated, at least for me...

I'd be fine with the Twins, or A's winning it all in the AL (though the Tigers wouldn't be bad either...though they did beat the Cubs in the '45 World Series). Can't really route for the Yankees unless they are playing the Mets...and then...well....Let's go Bears!!! :)

I'd be fine with the Dodgers or Phillies winning it all in the NL....(as a Cubs fan I can't route for the Mets...or the Cards (unless the Cards are playing the Yankees) and I can't route for San Diego because they knocked the Cubs out of the playoffs in the 80s.

Long story short....Ummmm....Go Bears!

:)

TheGaffer

Docking Bay 94
Registered
Reaction score
Dodgers have matched up well against the Mets.

True. They've got a lot of lefty hitters, which give the Mets trouble. And yeah, zarch, uh, 4 homers in a row? That not exciting enough for you? Did you need them to do that AND simultaneously set off fireworks in center field?

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
I admitted that I'm a Cubs fan, which automatically limits my credibility. Like I said, though, I live in Astro-land. Have y'all looked at the NL Central standings in the last day or so? I can't possibly sit through another October of Houstonians talking about destiny and crap.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
We need a Sports Forum around here. If I knew how to set up one of those fancy polls, I'd start a thread to see if we could petition for a place of our own without resorting to OP or TIO every time a sports related theme is discussed.

In any case, thank God HOCKEY SEASON is right around the corner...

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Silver King said:
We need a Sports Forum around here. If I knew how to set up one of those fancy polls, I'd start a thread to see if we could petition for a place of our own without resorting to OP or TIO every time a sports related theme is discussed.

In any case, thank God HOCKEY SEASON is right around the corner...

What are you, Canadian?

zarch

GOML.
Registered
Reaction score
Hockey's just soccer on ice. What you meant to say was "Thank God football is here!"

TrainofThought

A flowering bud of bitchiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authordenisebaer.com
My-Immortal said:
As a Cubs fan that had to suffer through listening to Sox fans talk about the Cubs choking a few years back at the end of the season, and then suffer through last year when the Sox managed to win it all, I was content to watch the Sox choke this year. (I knew when Lee broke his wrist when the Cubs were 14 and 10 that this year was already over....wait til next year! LOL) :)
Yeah, and it was a beautiful thing celebrating the Southside team, while the Cubs said AGAIN, “We’ll do it next year”. The Chicago White Sox are out of the game, but at least we didn’t rank last place. Another sad year for the Cubs. Will it actually be 100 years in 2008? Wow, time flies. I wonder what the curse was this year.
On another note, YEAH Bears (3-0)!

Status
Not open for further replies.