PDA

View Full Version : Prostitutes, Strippers, etc.

Rachael
09-27-2006, 02:31 AM
Please PM me if you're interested in being interviewed for a paper I'm writing about why prostitution/stripping strengthens the moral foundations of the US. I would prefer to talk in real time with you over MSNIM or another chat client, but I'll be very grateful for PM'ed answers as well. Also, if you're into the sex industry and don't agree with my thesis, I'd love to hear things from the POV of someone who would actually know. :)

Thanks!
-Rachel

Silver King
09-27-2006, 03:34 AM
Many years ago, I was close friends with the owner of a nude dance club where stripping and prostitution were synonymous. I got to know dozens of women who worked there, and believe me, there wasn't much "moral strengthening" to be found in that place. Some of the dancers made good money, though, a few hundred per night. It sounds horribly predictable, but every bad thing you can imagine that comes with the sex trade, including drug use, physical and mental abuse, eating disorders, STDs and so forth, were so prevalent as to be commonplace. One girl was murdered by a regular customer. She was nineteen years old.

I won't agree to an interview, but if you decide to change the article's slant, I might reconsider.

Soccer Mom
09-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Sorry Rachel, I am a lawyer and have a good friend who represents various adult businesses and I gotta concur with Silver King. They are pretty wretched places. A large number of the girls do it to fund their drug habit. One of the strippers murdered another one because she was "stealing her customers." Can't recommend much there as strengthening moral character.

ETA-I have personally handled cases involving many women in this industry. They are frequent crime victims.

Rachael
09-27-2006, 04:22 AM
Well, my thesis isn't set in stone at this point. Mostly I just want to take an unorthodox point of view on this issue and do something that hasn't been done before.

Perhaps rather than making my thesis that prostitution strengthens the moral foundations of the country, I should make it on why prostitution ought to be legalized in the US?

Stew21
09-27-2006, 04:42 AM
I had to do a speech in college. We were given a list of issues and asked to rate each of them on a scale of 1-10 how strongly we felt for or against. Our instructor then had us give a persuasive speech to the opposite side of one of the issues we felt strongly about. So my persuasive speech was PRO prostitution because it was something I didn't believe was true.
It took a lot of research, but the information is definitely out there.
Look for information on the internet about the lower numbers of STD's and crimes against prostitutes in Nevada's brothels where prostitution is legal. Taxes can be taken from that money, regulation requires regular medical exams, the ability to "register" clientele, etc. If that's the slant you want to take, legalization, then that's the place to get your info.
As for strenthening moral anything, Nope.

Rachael
09-27-2006, 04:47 AM
Okay, thanks. :) I'll definitely look into that. That might be just the right spin to put on the paper.

Cat Scratch
09-27-2006, 04:49 AM
I don't know about strengthening the moral fiber, but have you considered the opinion that it isn't as amoral as everyone appears to think? From everything I've read/researched on this topic myself for sociology classes and the like, legalizing prostitution would definitely be a benefit to everyone (as they screen for drugs as well as STDs, the women are much less likely to be victimized, etc.) and once you take the danger out of the equation it's easier to argue morality.

Rachael
09-27-2006, 05:44 AM
hmm... good advice. Thanks!