Aloud/Out Loud

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
So, I apologize in advance if there is already a thread on this.

My husband believes that "out loud" is never correct, and that "aloud" should always be used in its place. I've looked around and not found any formal information on this. "Out loud" is in the dictionaries and used widely. I prefer "aloud," just because it flows a little better, but does anyone here know the general rule about this? Is one different from the other somehow, or did one of them spring from misuse of the other?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm also interested in learning what the distinction is. I've always thought "out loud" was less formal than "aloud." In some cases, the former seems to work better, as in, "For crying out loud!" But there must be some greater feature between the two that I'm not seeing, and look forward to someone solving the mystery for our benefit.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting!

I always understood that out loud and aloud had two distinct usages.

'Aloud' is used when describing someone who vocalises the words as s/he reads. This is usually when the person is sharing a letter, book, newspaper, some sort of written material, with other people.

'Out loud' is making a noise as in: 'They tiptoed from their great aunt's presence silently mouthing cheers; once outside in the garden they whooped out loud.'

Then there is the expression: 'For crying out loud!' which is a polite way of swearing, if I remember rightly it's blasphemous swearing of the Cor Blimey, S'truth, variety.

Just came across Wordmonkey's line in a comment he makes in the novel writing thread. I hope he won't mind me using it.
'I've laughed aloud at some of the lines in these books.'

This is where I would use 'out loud'.

Last edited:

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Good Grief!

You mean the experts like Reph and Mediaeval aren't going to jump in and tell me that I'm wrong and proper American usage is...?

You mean you agree?

Hold me up whilst I faint!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.