A PA Question

MicheleLee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelelee.net
If you were pubbed by PA and then realized your mistake, gave the book up for dead, wrote another one, and queries about not mentioning PA as a credit, how can it count against you? I mean, let's assume your books is good and you're not trying to resell the PA to a legit publisher, if you are trying to go honest and you're not deep in with multiple books, can you cut and run so to speak?

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
I've had the same thought. I consider myself printed, not published, and when submitting other manuscripts, I use another pen name. It is too easy to google up a name and find the PA book with few sales. I don't care if it is PA. A lot of agents and publishers don't know and don't care if PA exists. All they are going to look at is the book and number of sales.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
MicheleLee said:
I mean, let's assume your books is good and you're not trying to resell the PA to a legit publisher, if you are trying to go honest and you're not deep in with multiple books, can you cut and run so to speak?

shouldn't be a problem ... as long as the next book is a good one.

Your forehead doesn't get tatooed with "PA Fooled ME".

MicheleLee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelelee.net
Oh, I haven't used PA. I just keep hearing that it can keep you from getting another book into a legit place. The only was I see that is if you're trying to sell your PA book to a legit place or using it as a credit when approaching an agent/publisher.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can rewrite a PA printed book and submit it, if the print rights have been returned.

As far as a credit, PA will take anything sent them, and all the publishing houses are aware of this, from what we've been told.

Most, if not all PA printed books are first time efforts at writing a novel, accepted, and printed for the benefit of PA, not the writer or reader.

I would like to know what percent of first ever penned novels have been accepted for commercial publication. I'd bet it's less than 1%.

Write on, there are better books in us all.

MicheleLee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelelee.net
Ken Schneider said:
I would like to know what percent of first ever penned novels have been accepted for commercial publication. I'd bet it's less than 1%.

Ah, but how many are salvagable in the first place? From what I've heard from writers themselves often their first book just teaches them how to do and it ends up in a drawer somewhere as a badge of look I did and now I'm better.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
janetbellinger said:
I'm not ashamed of the writing in my previously published Publish America book.

I'm not either, but I'll bet I can write a better book than my PA puke.

Practice makes perfect.

BeeBomb

Registered
Reaction score
Ken Schneider said:
I'm not either, but I'll bet I can write a better book than my PA puke.

Practice makes perfect.

Ken, darlin', don't sell yourself short. I read your book and it was really good. Sure, your book, my books and other PA books may not have been edited they way the contract led us to believe...BUT, your book was very good and kept my attention throughout. It had a remarkable plot and was resolved the only way it could be, leaving it open for a sequel. Redo it, if you must and submit it to another publisher.

Take care, sweetie!

Joyce Rapier
www.authorsden.com/joycelrapier

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
My two PA books are to me, a lesson in how not to be conned by a Publisher. I can forgive myself for letting my first book go, but my second? Never! I have called myself an idiot every day since. I reap no rewards and glean no satisfaction from having become a PA author and the day my books are released I will be very happy indeed. To see my two books sitting on internet book sites with virtual sales does nothing to encourage me to write another book.

I am going revamp the two books at some time in the future and then resubmit them to a 'reputable' publisher, preferably through an Agent.

I have asked PA to release me but they refuse; Lesson learned and perhaps I will have to see out 7 years before being released.

SeanDSchaffer

Of all the rejections I've received from legitimate publishers and agencies, not one of them has ever said, "You went with PA, so we won't touch you" or anything to that effect.

My figuring is that if you write a good enough book, and you get the agent or editor at the right time in the right mood, you'll be able to sell your work to a legit house without much of a problem, regardless of possible history with PublishAmerica.

Like the saying goes around here, there is life after PA.