$4,000 Cats (Hypoallergenic)

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious to know what everyone thinks about this. The link also contains a really cute picture of three little kittens, aww :)

"The world's first specially-bred hypoallergenic cats have gone on sale in the United States... The cats will not cause the red eyes, sneezing and even asthma that some cat allergy sufferers experience, except in the most acute cases. Despite costing $3,950 (£2,104), there is already a waiting list to get one. Allerca first started taking orders for genetically engineered hypoallergenic cats back in 2004."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5375900.stm

Do you know anyone who could/would buy one?

Look forward to hearing from you all.

Take care,
newmod

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
Allerca has a web site at http://www.allerca.com/ and you can order a kitten on their site. It looks like you don't get to choose your kitten.

At first, I thought this was some experiment in modifying cat's DNA, but Allerca says they "produced" the hypoallergenic cat through selective breeding. I think their marketing could use improvement. Their web site reads too much like a science experiment. It's sounds like you are ordering a new wonder drug instead of a kitten.

I have several relatives that are allergic to cats, but I don't think they would pay $4000 for a kitten. I think it is interesting that they determined there is a protein that causes the allergic response and that cats have different levels of this protein. My niece is allergic to some cats, but not all. If she touches our white cat, she will get an allergic reaction. She can touch our other cat and not have the same reaction.

Overall, I think Allerca provides an alternative to people who love cats and can't have them due to allergies.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man. Imagine the attitude of a $4,000 cat.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Maybe it's just me, but I bet you could adopt and feed a LOT of cats at the SPCA shelter for four grand.

patti
who owns a pair of poundcats

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
We have 12 cats and my oldest daughter is allergic. Simple enough : most of the cats are outside anyway and her room is always off limits.

Plus hardwood floors instead of carpets - no stuffed animals lying around collecting dust and dander, etc.

No, I wouldn't / couldn't pay $4K for a cat. Hairless cats are cheaper than that, and i wouldn't buy one of those, either - for reasons mentioned. Too many cats sitting in shelters.

Plus - living in the country - it's only a matter of time before another stray (usually pregnant) wanders into the yard to eat and the next thing you know - we have another pet.

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that there are too many stray and shelter cats. That's where I got mine. I think Allerca is trying to make money off of people that can afford to pay the $4000 for a cat and have allergies. Too bad they didn't use their research to create a testing device to test cats in shelters to see which ones might produce less of the protein that causes the allergy. Then, people with allergies could go to the shelter to get an "low-allergy" cat.

It looks like $4000 is the low-end price for Allerca's cats. If you want to buy a kitten immediately (instead of getting on their waiting list), Allerca charges $6000. And, Allerca had this question in their FAQ:

Will the price of an ALLERCA kitten drop over the next few years?

We believe that given the ongoing demand, prices may actually go up - although we will do our best to keep prices at their current levels.

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
Oh, man. Imagine the attitude of a $4,000 cat.
attitude smattitude, my home-grown mutt-cat could kick their pansy a*s any day.
not that that matters to the topic - just sayin' :D

no, i wouldn't buy one of these cats. but no one in my house is allergic.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There already is a cat breed that lacks the enzyme in their saliva that causes the allergic reaction in humans. I admit, the name escapes me right now, but if anyone is truly interested, I can find the name easily enough.

Even the hairless egyptians will cause allergic reactions because, as we all know, it's the enzyme of their spit that causes it. Although being hairless, they do tend to wash themselves a bit less - and there's no hair for the saliva to dry up in and then waft into the air we breathe.

Labrodoodles were bred for the same reason - they're the dog equivilant of an allergy-free pet.

But, unless one does suffer allergies, I'd much prefer (and always do) getting a stray or adopting from the millions who already need good homes. You can't beat a good mutt, cat or dog !

Heck, even guys. :D

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
Yep, my two are from an animal shelter, wouldn´t have it any other way. Personally I think it´s wrong to pay for a cat, or any animal, on principle. Even if I did have the money.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
There already is a cat breed that lacks the enzyme in their saliva that causes the allergic reaction in humans.

Even the hairless egyptians will cause allergic reactions because, as we all know, it's the enzyme of their spit that causes it.
Maybe they just need to breed a non-spitting cat?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
alleycat said:
Maybe they just need to breed a non-spitting cat?
That's like breeding a non-yapping schnauzer. I mean, it's an improvement, but not hardly worth thirteen missions into outer space. :D

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd pay for any research that could cure people from purchasing Chihuahua's, and other tiny "purse" dogs that they insist on carrying around with them wherever they go - including the grocery store !

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MidnightMuse said:
I'd pay for any research that could cure people from purchasing Chihuahua's, and other tiny "purse" dogs that they insist on carrying around with them wherever they go - including the grocery store !
Or, as Les Nesman, would say, Cha-who-a-who-a puppies.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I would like to know exactly what is different about these cats. Because animal dander is skin, shedding normally. These extreme and modified cats (pug-faced persian, ragdoll, sphynx) typically have substantial welfare problems. Mutations take the animal away from the robust wild type which may be convenient or fun for us but is almost guaranteed to be deterimental to them.