Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Has anyone else noticed that the Mac character in the Apple TV spots is taking better care of his appearance as time goes by? From left to right, here's how he looks in the earliest "Restarting" commercial, the later "Work" spot, and in the most recent ad "Accident".

Maybe its the demographics. When I go to the Apple Store, I see kids and teens snapping up iPods while the 35 to 70+ gang are the ones lugging out iMacs and Mac Books.

Attachments

• mac.jpg
    mac.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 110

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Maybe it's a metaphor for periodical upgrades?

I still think the "blue shirt" is an omen.

Akiahara

Registered
Reaction score
They could be cleaning him up because it's gotten a better response? :Shrug:

Though that guy is a real actor... as in, other movies, so maybe it depends on what's going on in his career, too.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Now that Mac can run Windows, too -- the blue shirt is definitely an omen. Soon, he'll be wearing a suit.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Macs run on Intel chips, Macs run windows.....so really, the only difference is that the Macintosh mouse only has one button, where my regular mouse has more.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
AND I can plug my iPOd into both, so what's the difference between a Mac and a PC these days?

Deleted member 42

The difference is in the fact that the hardware is designed to be easy to use and aesthetic.

The difference is in the fact that the native OS, Mac OS X, is Unix, which means there are two native scripting languages, one, (shell scripts) supported only by the OS, and the other, AppleScript, supported by the OS and by Applications, and quite capable of using shell commands.

And even the iPod is actually better under Mac OS. There are Mac features that aren't supported by the lesser OS.

Not that I'm a bigot, or anything. One or two of my friends haven't converted yet . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
NY - Out on "The Island" spring and summer - in HE
I think Mac is HOT ... And now that I have both, I have become a Mac'er all the way. Cant WAIT to get it back from Texas! I think it has a lot to do with demographics -- they do have pink Ipods now ... and Macs are becoming much more common with women who once found them confusing. I wish they still had those cute pink laptops like in Legally Blonde.

My son tells me the difference is Macs dont get viruses ... Linux all the way!!

Mac cleans up reaaaaaaaaaaaaaalll nice...

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I LOVE those commercials. Especially the newest one where the PC is all bandaged up since he fell off the desk.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shadow_Ferret said:
I don't get that one. Someone tripped over the power cord? What kind of idiot runs a power cord in a high traffic area?

Oh, I know. One who owns a Mac, that's why they needed the solution. :ROFL:

It was the PC that fell on the floor. Therefore, it had to be a PC owner.

Neh neh.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Of course, I don't know about you guys, but if I were a computer company, I wouldn't want the cool guy on the right to be on my side. He looks like every teen jerk that stole every teen crush I had and grew up to work for his dad and spend every night trying to "party".

If I'm a computer company, it's the guy on the left that I want on my side. #1 guys like that usually know more about computers. #2 guys like that usually make more money (disposable income). #3 Guys like that usually use computers in their offices, and can make corporate decisions to buy lots and lots of computers for companies.

Basically, I never liked the guy on the right. I never wanted to be that guy. The guy on the left is awesome. And, as an adult, the cool stuff gets done by the guys on the left. The guys on the right are too busy hitting on everything with legs and drinking. Guys like the guy on the left introduced me to rock climbing, indie rock, somafm, magical realism, cyberpunk, and all the best video games. They also always used PCs. Why? Because "ease of use" isn't as important as "being able to do lots of cool stuff". They said stuff like "sure it's a little buggy. But, if you can't open up the hood and make it work, you don't deserve your own processors!"

This ad only makes me want to buy PCs. Because I never liked that guy on the right.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
All those time-saving Mac-sims and the guy can't find time to shave.

I've seen all those commercials and they're a bit fluffy for my taste. The positive features of the Mac they're spotlighting seem so generic and watered down, "I'm great for movies, music and photos." That's all he seems to go on about. I mean, my PC is great for all that stuff too, thanks. How much better can a Mac be at sorting photos or mp3s? Is that the main reason to buy a Mac?

And didn't you die in Jeepers Creepers?

Deleted member 42

clock_work9 said:
I mean, my PC is great for all that stuff too, thanks. How much better can a Mac be at sorting photos or mp3s? Is that the main reason to buy a Mac?

The iLife suite, that's included with new Macs, does much much more than that, and does it painlessly. I use iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD a lot in teaching in terms of presenting content for instruction. You can create movies from stills, add caption tracks, create movies from digital footage and manipulate the sound and video easily, and then create an interactive DVD.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
Medievalist said:
The iLife suite, that's included with new Macs, does much much more than that, and does it painlessly. I use iPhoto, iMovie and iDVD a lot in teaching in terms of presenting content for instruction. You can create movies from stills, add caption tracks, create movies from digital footage and manipulate the sound and video easily, and then create an interactive DVD.

That stuff can be a pain on a PC.

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
My mom does that stuff painlessly with her PC. I should know. She's not techno-savvy, and I've had to sit through way too many of her DVDs.

(by painlessly, I am only referring to her creation of DVDs. I am not referring to watching her videos afterwards. That is quite painful. "Oh, here's our slideshow of our trip to the old timey train with our little nieces!" *shiver*)

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
Macs run on Intel chips, Macs run windows.....so really, the only difference is that the Macintosh mouse only has one button, where my regular mouse has more.
AND I can plug my iPOd into both, so what's the difference between a Mac and a PC these days?
Not meaning to pick on you, PeeDee, but if you have to ask this question, then you probably don't need a Mac. To people who are in lines of work in which the Mac is superior, like graphic design, etc., the differences are obvious, not the least of which is ease of use and OS stability. And I'm not being snarky (not that there's anything wrong with that:)); it's what I honestly think.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Serena Casey said:
Not meaning to pick on you, PeeDee, but if you have to ask this question, then you probably don't need a Mac. To people who are in lines of work in which the Mac is superior, like graphic design, etc., the differences are obvious, not the least of which is ease of use and OS stability. And I'm not being snarky (not that there's anything wrong with that:)); it's what I honestly think.

Well, it's honestly true. I've had many friends try to convert me to a Mac over the years, and I've played with them whenever I go into the Mall of America.

Basically, it boils down to this: it's the same reason why I use Maya for 3D graphics and not Lightwave, the same reason I use Adobe Photoshop and not Paint Shop Pro, the reason I used Windows 98SE long after XP came out....When I have a machine, and it does everything I need to do, I don't mess around. Hell, it was a big change for me to switch from Internet Explorer to Firefox (But God, am I glad I did). When I reach the limit of what I can do, then I'll happily change to new software/a new computer.

Apple's won me over with the iPod, as opposed to other MP3 players (though it was a close run between that and the Creative Zen players) because they're smooth, easy to use, relatively bug free, and intuitive machines. I very much like my iPod, and it's the one thing which makes me consider switching to Apple machines. If they're as comfortable as the iPod, I could get used to it.

(way back in the day, the reason I wouldn't use a Mac is that there wasn't any software for it; that's hardly the case anymore)

It's kind of a pity I can't (relatively painlessly) set up the latest Apple Operating System on my windows computer right here and try it out. Who knows? p'raps if I found it comfortable enough, my next laptop would be one of those sexy-thin laptops that Apple makes.

Akiahara

Registered
Reaction score
Serena Casey said:

I'm curious what makes them better for graphic design. I don't know much about graphic design either, but I enjoy my Adobe Photoshop. :)

Though you can ignore me if you want... I haven't even touched a Mac since elementary school. o_O

Serena Casey

User Titles Rock
Registered
Reaction score
Website
serenacasey.com
When I have a machine, and it does everything I need to do, I don't mess around.
I agree, and that makes perfect sense. That's why I don't want it to appear that I want to get into Mac vs. PC wars. They each serve their purpose to different people.
If they're as comfortable as the iPod, I could get used to it.
I would say they definitely are, but then, I've used Macs almost exclusively for the last 16 years, so of course I would think that.:)
Who knows? p'raps if I found it comfortable enough, my next laptop would be one of those sexy-thin laptops that Apple makes.
In addition to my iMac, I've got the last PowerBook version before they went to Intel. And while the battery life is less than satisfactory, otherwise I love it. It would be kind of nice if there were a place a person could sort of "test drive" the Mac OS online somewhere. You'd probably be hooked ;)

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Serena Casey said:
It would be kind of nice if there were a place a person could sort of "test drive" the Mac OS online somewhere. You'd probably be hooked ;)

I'm hoping someone pipes up and says, "There is, this is how you do it." I'm open-minded enough, I'd give it a shot.

But as it stands, I get up in the morning and graphic design, or write, or build web-pages, or write some more without shedding a single drop of blood. So I'm generally content not to change.

Deleted member 42

Akiahara said:
I'm curious what makes them better for graphic design. I don't know much about graphic design either, but I enjoy my Adobe Photoshop. :)

Though you can ignore me if you want... I haven't even touched a Mac since elementary school. o_O

Because, right from the start, the Mac OS was designed to handle graphics; this is built into the OS, rather than part of the application layer as it is with Windows. The processing mechanisms, and the algorithims for drawing on the screen, are all designed to be especially effecitive graphically. The OS handles over a hundred graphic intensive operations in low level code; this means that applications inherit certain abilities and can use those low-level and very fast alogorithims and routines, instead of creating their own less optimized routines.

Even .pdf is built into the OS; on a Mac, anything that can print can produce a .pdf, without the user installing anything.

There's a reason that Photoshop, Quark, etc. were first created for the Mac, and are still first coded for the Mac.

Deleted member 42

You can't test drive one online, but you can certainly see lots of movies of stuff being done on the mac, at Apple's site. These are intended as instructional videos, to show users how to do stuff, but they give you a good idea of the OS and ease of use.

Alternatively, any Apple store is quite willing for you to park yourself in front of a Mac and play with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.