Pash

Status
Not open for further replies.

pash

Banned
Reaction score
Could someone please explain. in the simplest terms possible, the idea expressed by the quote below?

with [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]must, not [/FONT]negates the predication, but with [FONT=Times New Roman,Times New Roman]have to, not [/FONT]negates the modality (Antinucci—Parisi 1971: 35; Coates 1983: 55, 57; Perkins 1983: 61; Palmer 1979: 94-95; 1987: 130):

I understand the vocabulary, but not the idea. I need examples to help me understand.

Thanks in advance.

newmod

Registered
Reaction score
I think I´ve got this right, but stand to be corrected.

must not is negative obligation, You must not talk to strangers.

don´t have to means it is not obligatory, You don´t have to come, if you don´t want to.

pash

Banned
Reaction score
newmod said:
I think I´ve got this right, but stand to be corrected.

must not is negative obligation, You must not talk to strangers.

don´t have to means it is not obligatory, You don´t have to come, if you don´t want to.

Yes, Newmod. I understand that, but can you take me through the meaning of the quote in the topic hread step-by-step?

Could you please show me how "must not" negates the predication and "have + not" negates the modality?

Thanks

Deleted member 42

The "predication" is sloppy linguist speak for "verb."

The "modality" is sloppy linguist speak for the use of "have" as an auxilliary/helping/modal verb.

Think of "you do" as the main verb phrase; "have to" is an auxilliary/helping/modal verb phrase (depending on which grammar religion you practice, since the terms for parts of speech vary).

You do isn't being negated by "not"; "have to" is receiving the negation imposed by not.

And why are you reading this, you poor soul?

Wordworm

Impotent Omnipotent
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gxo.com
Medievalist said:
I'm so glad you asked that. For the life of me, I couldn't imagine either. It sounds like some sort of convoluted sentence out of a Hindu-English textbook.

Deleted member 42

It's from something meant to be read by linguists, not [cough] lesser mortals.

pash

Banned
Reaction score
Medievalist said:

You do isn't being negated by "not"; "have to" is receiving the negation imposed by not.

I understand now. Thanks I'm reading it because I'm about to begin my first year of a degree in Corpus Linguistics.

Compulsory stuff.

Deleted member 42

pash said:
I understand now. Thanks I'm reading it because I'm about to begin my first year of a degree in Corpus Linguistics.

Compulsory stuff.

Gah. Well, you might want to start with some more understandable stuff first; this is written for members of the Linguistics Religion.

Is this for an undergrad or grad degree.

pash

Banned
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
Gah. Well, you might want to start with some more understandable stuff first; this is written for members of the Linguistics Religion.

Is this for an undergrad or grad degree.

Grad.

Deleted member 42

Pash if you want a reading list to ease you into the new [cough] religion, email or PM me. I'll post it here, but I don't want to bore folk.

pash

Banned
Reaction score
Medievalist said:
Pash if you want a reading list to ease you into the new [cough] religion, email or PM me. I'll post it here, but I don't want to bore folk.

Well thanks for the offer, but we have been provided with a mega-list by the university.

Status
Not open for further replies.